T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

More Sascha Segan bromance with T-Mobile...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2496645,00.asp

Here is another interesting tidbit...

I have loaded Sascha's article twice today.  Both times, I initially saw the number at 10 comments posted.  Then, as the page fully loaded, the number of comments dropped to 0-1.  Is that a bug or comment moderation?  Comment moderation is recommended -- see the FierceWireless train wreck.  But the only comment available now is from Brett Schulte, who is something of a known troll.

AJ

Here is another interesting tidbit...

I have loaded Sascha's article twice today.  Both times, I initially saw the number at 10 comments posted.  Then, as the page fully loaded, the number of comments dropped to 0-1.  Is that a bug or comment moderation?  Comment moderation is recommended -- see the FierceWireless train wreck.  But the only comment available now is from Brett Schulte, who is something of a known troll.

AJ

I see two every time I load.

I see two every time I load.

Check the timestamp of the second comment.  It is only 12 minutes ago.

Is somebody moderating…censoring...watching?

AJ

• Like 6

Food for thought. T-Mobile reduces bandwidth for all video regardless of whether it is exempt from your cap or not.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/12/t_mobile_s_binge_on_program_likely_violates_net_neutrality.html

And that's the slippery slope a lot of folks talked about with T-Mobile...

John Legere just wiped his ass with copies of the Net Neutrality Rule Book.

• Like 3

But Sascha Segan, by most appearances, goes above and beyond objective reporting on T-Mobile.  More like prioritized reporting on T-Mobile.  Positive reporting on T-Mobile.  Would Sprint ever get the same treatment for any market?

The Magenta Effect. Karl Bode does the same thing as does Roger Cheng and probably a slew of others in the tech media. Who knew that something as simple as having the CEO throw out random expletives was the key to getting journalists/bloggers to eat out of the palm of your hand.

• Like 5

And if I didn't think that would have ramifications toward Title 2, I'd laugh it off. Problem is that Verizon has the best legal counsel money can buy and they will challenge Title 2 in the courts, all the way to the Supreme Court if they have to. And I know in the back of my mind that corporate friendly judges like Scalia and Thomas will be looking at Verizon's arguments with a friendly eye. You think Verizon's lawyers won't bring up BingeOn?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

People were noting this was happening with YouTube on Reddit. BingeOn was on, 1080p videos buffered. Turned off, they streamed perfectly.

I've noticed that too. My YouTube videos buffer atleast once it twice. Eventually it'll play wothout stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those magentans fans thank you for praising your lord for destroying net neutrality. Now Verizon will take the best Lawyers in the country that money can buy and shred it in the Supreme Court. Binge on will be part of the argument. They will smack the FCC chairman and will use his talking points about praising binge on against him.

• Like 2

For those magentans fans thank you for praising your lord for destroying net neutrality. Now Verizon will take the best Lawyers in the country that money can buy and shred it in the Supreme Court. Binge on will be part of the argument. They will smack the FCC chairman and will use his talking points about praising binge on against him.

I'm sure Verizon will burn as much money as they can to get T-Mobile on binge on..

Maybe even the three carriers will bond together Verizon, AT&T, Sprint will all slap T-Mobile with Binge on

Food for thought. T-Mobile reduces bandwidth for all video regardless of whether it is exempt from your cap or not.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/12/t_mobile_s_binge_on_program_likely_violates_net_neutrality.html

I've seen a lot of people on Reddit complain about youtube buffering.  It's almost as if T-Mobile prioritizes speedtests over a good user experience. Why brag about 50+mb/s speedtests when Youtube is constantly buffering?

• Like 4

I've seen a lot of people on Reddit complain about youtube buffering. It's almost as if T-Mobile prioritizes speedtests over a good user experience. Why brag about 50+mb/s speedtests when Youtube is constantly buffering?

Exactly!

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

Thought I would add these here just to reflect what the latest Rootmetric reports said about Houston and the greater Southeast Texas area.

4G LTE T-Mobile

And then HSPA+

Y'know, I think I heard something about a technology designed to subvert this whole load imbalance problem. What was it? I can't seem to remember.

Oh! I know! TDD-LTE!

:P

Edit: out of curiosity, is PCS or AWS standardized for TDD operation? Is it even possible to operate FDD and TDD in adjacent bands i.e. FDD in PCS A and TDD in PCS D?

• Like 2

Y'know, I think I heard something about a technology designed to subvert this whole load imbalance problem. What was it? I can't seem to remember.

Oh! I know! TDD-LTE!

[emoji14]

Edit: out of curiosity, is PCS or AWS standardized for TDD operation? Is it even possible to operate FDD and TDD in adjacent bands i.e. FDD in PCS A and TDD in PCS D?

No. FDD only.

• Like 1

Wasn't this specifically stated as a BingeOn feature during the original announcement? I seem to remember that enabling BingeOn would cut video bandwidth down to one-third on services that were *technically* compatible, even if they weren't *officially* compatible, thereby allowing you to reduce your metered data usage.

The excess buffering is undoubtedly due to capacity issues on the backend of that service. This will likely clear up once YouTube is *officially* zero-rated, since (1) they will likely be able to pull lower-bitrate videos directly from Google rather than transcoding them, and (2) YouTube is one of the most-used video services, so the capacity freed up should be enough for other services.

Anyone who remembers performing the "speed hack" of zeroing the RTSP proxy can attest that Sprint has been doing the same for years. The reason that modification worked was because the proxy was congested. But unlike with T-Mobile, you can't turn it off without hacking your phone.

• Like 1

The excess buffering is undoubtedly due to capacity issues on the backend of that service. This will likely clear up once YouTube is *officially* zero-rated, since (1) they will likely be able to pull lower-bitrate videos directly from Google rather than transcoding them, and (2) YouTube is one of the most-used video services, so the capacity freed up should be enough for other services.

T-Mobile does not transcode video, in fact they cannot do so with most video being delivered over SSL. Google definitely delivers YouTube video with SSL. The "video optimization" T-Mobile performs is essentially a variable throttle based on available network capacity which forces adaptive bitrate video to buffer and play lower quality streams. The issue with bingeon compatibility is inserting the tracking into the video packets so that T-Mobile can track what is video traffic and zero rate it.

• Like 1

T-Mobile does not transcode video, in fact they cannot do so with most video being delivered over SSL. Google definitely delivers YouTube video with SSL. The "video optimization" T-Mobile performs is essentially a variable throttle based on available network capacity which forces adaptive bitrate video to buffer and play lower quality streams. The issue with bingeon compatibility is inserting the tracking into the video packets so that T-Mobile can track what is video traffic and zero rate it.

With all that, isn't it going to be really hard to find a technical solution for Google to deliver zero-rated 480p video to T-Mobile?

With all that, isn't it going to be really hard to find a technical solution for Google to deliver zero-rated 480p video to T-Mobile?

Some companies are sharing SSL certs with T-Mobile so they can view encrypted streams.

BingeOn has allowed me to binge on Netflix during my 1 hour commute. Please don't take it away!  :o  :unsure:  :td:  :td:  :td:  :td:  :td:  :td:

And as Robert has previously posted, that makes you an anti Net Neutrality enabler.  Are you proud or ashamed?

I do not traffic in emojis, use them sparingly.  But if I were to use the thumbs down emoji, you would get far more than the six dose that you post above.

AJ

So if I stream Pandora on Music Freedom regardless of how I feel, does that make it enabling behavior? I would simply prefer T-Mobile offer bigger data buckets or all you can eat for a lower price than $95 a month.

That said it is unsurprising that something that greatly affects YouTube streaming quality would aggravate YouTube. They certainly want to protect their interests.

Edit: fixed Freudian slip

• Like 1