T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Two iPhone 6s in a band 12 market. :( However, I know it shouldn't make a difference, but the 6s with the Samsung processor drops calls significantly more than the 6s with the TSMC processor. As an aside, both phones perform the same with battery drain.

Pure placebo. Both use the same Qualcomm baseband.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as though T-Mobile is going in a new direction with its commercials instead of all that in your face wack job spots. I actually like this new commercial but still don't fully agree with that new map.

http://youtu.be/Z0Ff1XNUa3o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks as though T-Mobile is going in a new direction with its commercials instead of all that in your face wack job spots. I actually like this new commercial but still don't fully agree with that new map.

http://youtu.be/Z0Ff1XNUa3o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the issue in that T-Mobile still has to add density in the areas they have added either with small cells or more macro cells. They might also need to do GMO conversion. I give them credit for expanding but they have to fill in that expansion a bit. GMO actually works well here, but there's still too many fringe areas where there's no service altogether in Randolph County where I live. If that was fixed I'd be happy to take their buyout of my Verizon device.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Beat me to it!

The first result of our test confirms that when Binge On is enabled, T-Mobile throttles all HTML5 video streams to around 1.5Mps, even when the phone is capable of downloading at higher speeds, and regardless of whether or not the video provider enrolled in Binge On. This is the case whether the video is being streamed or being downloaded—which means that T-Mobile is artificially reducing the download speeds of customers with Binge On enabled, even if they’re downloading the video to watch later. It also means that videos are being throttled even if they’re being watched or downloaded to another device via a tethered connection.

The second major finding in our tests is that T-Mobile is throttling video downloads even when the filename and HTTP headers (specifically the Content-Type) indicate the file is not a video file. We asked T-Mobile if this means they are looking deeper than TCP and HTTP headers, and identifying video streams by inspecting the content of their customers’ communications, and they told us that they have solutions to detect video-specific protocols/patterns that do not involve the examination of actual content.

Our last finding is that T-Mobile’s video “optimization” doesn’t actually alter or enhance the video stream for delivery to a mobile device over a mobile network in any way. 2 This means T-Mobile’s “optimization” consists entirely of throttling the video stream’s throughput down to 1.5Mbps. If the video is more than 480p and the server sending the video doesn’t have a way to reduce or adapt the bitrate of the video as it’s being streamed, the result is stuttering and uneven streaming—exactly the opposite of the experience T-Mobile claims their “optimization” will have.
  • Like 2

Don't worry John will come out and twist some words more.

John was however caught in this heap here "It's not throttling, it's optimizing!"

Doesn't he always, just like a used cheap car salesman and Tom wheeler the FCC turns a blind eye and allow them to wipe their ass with his net neutrality book.

T-Mobile is becoming as much as, if not even more of an asshat than the other operators that it ridicules.

But hey, everybody, look over here.  Free candy!  And millions of ignorant people buy it hook, line, and sinker.

AJ

• Like 8

Here's the deal, John went out of his way to say there was complex optimization going on behind BingeOn in the Uncarrier 10 keynote. Apparently, there isn't any sort of optimization going on at all if the EFF is correct in their testing. It's a straight up throttle, not unlike what Sprint did with 480p streaming that they later backed off of due to public outcry.

Now I don't want to take John out of context, so I may go back and see what he exactly said in context. That said, the initial findings on this are not good.

• Like 1

Didn't T-Mobile admit all video would be "optimized" (read: throttled). I was never under the impression that anything different was being done. Their claim was it will reduce your data usage for all video. If people don't like it, they can disable it.

Not defending one way or another...just passing along what was highlighted by T-Mobile execs previously.

• Like 1

Here's the deal, John went out of his way to say there was complex optimization going on behind BingeOn in the Uncarrier 10 keynote. Apparently, there isn't any sort of optimization going on at all if the EFF is correct in their testing. It's a straight up throttle, not unlike what Sprint did with 480p streaming that they later backed off of due to public outcry.

Now I don't want to take John out of context, so I may go back and see what he exactly said in context. That said, the initial findings on this are not good.

If it's just throttle then why are they even selecting certain services to zero-rate their data on?  If everyone is streaming at 1mbps, regardless of service, it should either 100% count towards their usage, or not.  I guess telling the customers it's "optimization" instead of throttling affects the mindsets of the impressionable.  Similarly to T-Mobile's stance on the deprioritization, when it's just throttling.

• Like 2

If it's just throttle then why are they even selecting certain services to zero-rate their data on? If everyone is streaming at 1mbps, regardless of service, it should either 100% count towards their usage, or not. I guess telling the customers it's "optimization" instead of throttling affects the mindsets of the impressionable. Similarly to T-Mobile's stance on the deprioritization, when it's just throttling.

And this means it's potentially an even bigger NN violation if the "requirements" for joining the "optimization program" (I.e their excuse for YouTube being let out) are just made-up.

https://np.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3zfo89/eff_confirms_tmobiles_binge_on_optimization_is/

I'm just kind of shocked that almost everyone over on the T-Mobile reddit is turning on BingeOn. To be fair I'd be pissed if my carrier was throttling YouTube as well. That is currently my largest site as far as video over the Internet goes.

• Like 1

Honestly even if T-Mobile did away with the zero rating of certain services...id likely still keep BingeOn on, just so video streams better without buffering. Most of my streaming is while commuting, so I'm switching towers and signs strength constantly. BingeOn has made my Netfix watching completely seemless. It's even more relevant for tablets with even more limited data. Even without zero rating. I turn it off occasionally, especially if I'm sitting at 1Gb of my 10Gb used and I'm more than half way through the cycle...lol

• Like 1

The whole BingeOn symptoms is a carrier that is Spectrum constrained. They can spin it anyway they want but a 20x20 channel not longer cut it.

Ray and Legere can spin it anyway they want, but data demands keep rising. They even raised the unlimited to 95 bucks because of this.

Now the magentans hate Sprint, it is not because Sprint policies, prices or plans. The reason of their hatred is because Sprint is Spectrum rich.

• Like 2

The whole BingeOn symptoms is a carrier that is Spectrum constrained. They can spin it anyway they want but a 20x20 channel not longer cut it.

Ray and Legere can spin it anyway they want, but data demands keep rising. They even raised the unlimited to 95 bucks because of this.

Now the magentans hate Sprint, it is not because Sprint policies, prices or plans. The reason of their hatred is because Sprint is Spectrum rich.

Then what is stopping them from coming back to the table with the 2014 merger proposal? "Hey SoftBank, see how Sprint has been doing since the 2014 deal fell apart? We were right, but we'll let that slide since we can find your synergies on your side and then some. Only through us can you achieve what you want to do, which is to cut costs, improve the network, and increase the B41 device ecosystem."

• Like 1

Then what is stopping them from coming back to the table with the 2014 merger proposal? "Hey SoftBank, see how Sprint has been doing since the 2014 deal fell apart? We were right, but we'll let that slide since we can find your synergies on your side and then some. Only through us can you achieve what you want to do, which is to cut costs, improve the network, and increase the B41 device ecosystem."

Tmobile doesn't want to be the one approaching Sprint about mergers because they don't want to be seen as the one that need Sprint assets. Legere and the gang want three carriers with him running the combined Sprint Tmobile one.

• Like 1

Tmobile doesn't want to be the one approaching Sprint about mergers because they don't want to be seen as the one that need Sprint assets. Legere and the gang want three carriers with him running the combined Sprint Tmobile one.

Legere can deny it publicly while DT brass flies on a private jet to Tokyo. DT still has the last call here. Son has already said he'd be open to more talks if the regulatory climate changes.

Legere can deny it publicly while DT brass flies on a private jet to Tokyo. DT still has the last call here. Son has already said he'd be open to more talks if the regulatory climate changes.

The next administration will be more business friendly,but if Tmobile keep growing, and Sprint gets out of its financial woes then a merger will not be needed.

I think we will get an indication at the 600mhz auction what might happen long term with #3 and #4.

I think as time goes on, customers will continue to embrace those perks (Music Freedom, BingeOn, etc.) and use them as a rallying cry around T-Mobile services. While some customers who are internet-savy will raise their arms and complain, the vast majority will continue business as usual. 

My wife's cousin and I recently had a debate about T-Mobile vs. Sprint, and he kept repeating the list of perks that he got as a customer (Music Freedom, etc.), even though he rarely used the services. That's just the nature of their customer base, to be honest. 

• Like 5

I think as time goes on, customers will continue to embrace those perks (Music Freedom, BingeOn, etc.) and use them as a rallying cry around T-Mobile services. While some customers who are internet-savy will raise their arms and complain, the vast majority will continue business as usual. 

My wife's cousin and I recently had a debate about T-Mobile vs. Sprint, and he kept repeating the list of perks that he got as a customer (Music Freedom, etc.), even though he rarely used the services. That's just the nature of their customer base, to be honest. 

Blind fanboy base, like Apple. It seems like everyone needs something to defend nowadays, and T-Mobile is the religion du jour for some. Same with older VZW users: "My coverage, coverage, coverage, coverage, coverage". 

Reminds me of a decade to few years ago when Sprint trumped VZW in certain areas in the rural and suburban tri-state. "I have coverage here on Sprint and you don't B) " *silence* 

It'll be nice when this fad cult simmers down to a few cranky employees as well. And good luck to however they'll messily scatter their B12. 

Blind fanboy base, like Apple. It seems like everyone needs something to defend nowadays, and T-Mobile is the religion du jour for some. Same with older VZW users: "My coverage, coverage, coverage, coverage, coverage".

Reminds me of a decade to few years ago when Sprint trumped VZW in certain areas in the rural and suburban tri-state. "I have coverage here on Sprint and you don't B) " *silence*

It'll be nice when this fad cult simmers down to a few cranky employees as well. And good luck to however they'll messily scatter their B12.

Even on places like TMoNews, the defenses of this have really narrowed to a few people. That's the surprising part of this. Lots of people who are starting to look at the technical fundamentals of this are finding this lacking, then the few who are still defending this are throwing out wholly irrelevant things like Sprint compressing MMS images, that have f all to do with T-Mobile's BingeOn program.

I give credit for T-Mobile working on their biggest weakness in 2015 which was coverage, I also give them credit for things like changing the structure of the US mobile industry and providing competition that has lowered prices and increased service for the US consumer. That said, they aren't perfect, and are doing some very carrier things lately.

• Like 1

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1877527-EFF-rips-T-Mobile-on-BingeOn/page3?p=16333171#post16333171

"You Network Neutrality advocates." ????????????????

The fun thing is, some of us who want Network Neutrality want caps. Some of us don't. Last I checked Network Neutrality is not a monolithic cult where everyone believes the same.

So we have civil war in the magenta cult?

Some think corporations are people and a lot more don't. You can probably figure out who thinks corporations are people and who thinks that they are not without too much of a problem.