T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I'm guess his team just looked at him and shook their head with him realizing what tree he shouldn't have barked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has got to be why other telecom CEO's don't lay so heavily into social media, or that's what those other CEO's are thinking. These kinds of charades have to be played out very carefully through the PR department, like at&t and VZW do.

Or better yet not blow smoke at all - that seems to be Marcelo's approach. Probably why he's ranked one of years worst CEOs, because he's not putting on a show for everyone like Legere.

Interesting to watch the shit hit the fan though, but the drama is already boring. Same old story line but with different character's.

• Like 2

Too bad people fail to realize this.

Sent from my SM-N910T

You missed the point, I have come to loathe this industry. It is why Legere's rhetoric once appealed to me. It is also why I am losing respect for Legere. It's the same behavior under a different shtick. He runs T-Mobile, in reality, like someone who came out of the Bell System. Makes sense since he came out of it like most other CEO's in this business.

And I don't think this site is a monolith regarding Claure. He still has to do better in 2016 than 2015. Sprint depends on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You missed the point, I have come to loathe this industry. It is why Legere's rhetoric once appealed to me. It is also why I am losing respect for Legere. It's the same behavior under a different shtick. He runs T-Mobile, in reality, like someone who came out of the Bell System. Makes sense since he came out of it like most other CEO's in this business.

And I don't think this site is a monolith regarding Claure. He still has to do better in 2016 than 2015. Sprint depends on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I was agreeing with you.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Slidefuse is just a small startup. I doubt they'll start a wave of providers leaving the service.

Anyone from the Chicago area seeing 20 MHz now? This may be specific to Lake County, IN. Noticed higher speeds the other day, then a friend sent me a screenshot showing 20 MHz and I see it too. They owned an extra 5 MHz band 4 license here in my county but it wasn't contiguous with the rest of it so they must've shuffled around with another carrier to get this to happen:

9BC34259-8E0C-443D-A7F8-927BF64DC077_zps

Anyone from the Chicago area seeing 20 MHz now? This may be specific to Lake County, IN. Noticed higher speeds the other day, then a friend sent me a screenshot showing 20 MHz and I see it too. They owned an extra 5 MHz band 4 license here in my county but it wasn't contiguous with the rest of it so they must've shuffled around with another carrier to get this to happen:

9BC34259-8E0C-443D-A7F8-927BF64DC077_zps

Is it carrier aggregation?

0d3de57096964900b74af5520ee30e9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s

Is it carrier aggregation?

0d3de57096964900b74af5520ee30e9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s

Nope! I noticed about two months ago AT&Ts UARFCN for band 4 here changed to 2175 from I wanna say it was 2225 before. So I'm suspecting AT&T swapped spectrum with them so they could have contiguous 20 MHz.

376B376F-3644-40EA-89E4-9530F8DB5075_zps

Just got this email from demand progress:

T-Mobile has been caught red-handed violating Net Neutrality. Will you chip in $5 to help demand the FCC crack down?Dear Jonathan,For possibly the first time since the FCC adopted Net Neutrality last year, an ISP has been caught red-handed breaking the law.1 T-Mobile is throttling video content from select websites as part of their new "Binge On" feature, and when confronted about it, T-Mobile's CEO lashed out at internet freedom activists, asking "Who the f*ck are you?" and "Who pays you?"2It's clear T-Mobile has no shame about violating Net Neutrality. And if the FCC doesn't crack down, other companies are sure to follow their lead. Will you chip in $5 to help demand that the FCC crack down on T-Mobile's blatant violation of Net Neutrality? Here's what’s happening: Late last year, T-Mobile automatically enrolled all their users in a service they're calling Binge On, which allows users to watch video from certain select websites, like Netflix, without counting against their data cap. The problem is that sites not enrolled in Binge On, like YouTube and Vimeo, not only count against the data cap but are being pushed onto a data slow lane, causing buffering and poor playback.3 This is a clear, systematic violation of the Net Neutrality rules we fought so hard for. And it's one of the first big tests of whether Net Neutrality will actually be enforced—or will exist only on paper.We're launching an urgent push to demand the FCC take swift action to crack down on T-Mobile. Will you donate?Yes, I'll donate to help stop T-Mobile from violating Net Neutrality.Thanks for taking action on this at a critical time. David, Daniel, Kurt, Mark, Sara, Victoria, and the rest of the Demand Progress TeamDONATESources:1. T-Mobile 'breaks' net neutrality rules with Binge On, BBC News, January 5, 2016 2. Twitter blows up after T-Mobile CEO drops anti-eff f-bomb, Wired, January 7, 20163. EFF Confirms: T-Mobile’s Binge On Optimization is Just Throttling, Applies Indiscriminately to All Video, Electronic Frontier Foundation, January 4, 2016PAID FOR BY DEMAND PROGRESS (DemandProgress.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.

I'm just checking in here for the first time in a few weeks, so I'm a bit behind on cell news lately. However, this interested me and I went ahead to try finding out more about this 20mhz issue on T-Mobile here in Chicago, which I found this :

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/201108/fcc-approves-tmobile-usverizon-spectrum-swap-deal

It mentions Verizon and T-Mobile swapping AWS and also Illinois, though I'm surprised this isn't bigger news. It would be good to have this confirmed though, as 20x20 in the Chicago area is a pretty big deal, an important one for T-Mobile in Chicago.

I haven't noticed anything personally, as my phone line/plan is being held until my mother gets a new device. The LG V10 had issues with incoming calls for her, so we are waiting a bit on a new device which shes using her old phone in the meantime with a temporary number. I'm likely going to get the Sony Xperia Z6 in a 4k variant, if there is one.  

I'm just checking in here for the first time in a few weeks, so I'm a bit behind on cell news lately. However, this interested me and I went ahead to try finding out more about this 20mhz issue on T-Mobile here in Chicago, which I found this :

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/201108/fcc-approves-tmobile-usverizon-spectrum-swap-deal

It mentions Verizon and T-Mobile swapping AWS and also Illinois, though I'm surprised this isn't bigger news. It would be good to have this confirmed though, as 20x20 in the Chicago area is a pretty big deal, an important one for T-Mobile in Chicago.

I haven't noticed anything personally, as my phone line/plan is being held until my mother gets a new device. The LG V10 had issues with incoming calls for her, so we are waiting a bit on a new device which shes using her old phone in the meantime with a temporary number. I'm likely going to get the Sony Xperia Z6 in a 4k variant, if there is one.

From what I know, I'm not sure Chicago picked up AWS. Gusherb is in Lake County, IN which has 20x20 AWS because T-Mobile has 40 MHz of AWS there. I'll have to investigate.

• Like 1

From what I know, I'm not sure Chicago picked up AWS. Gusherb is in Lake County, IN which has 20x20 AWS because T-Mobile has 40 MHz of AWS there. I'll have to investigate.

I'm pretty sure T-Mobile had to swap with AT&T here to make it's 40 mhz contiguous. T-Mobile originally had a non-contiguous 5x5 block that came from at&t (and is one of the blocks at&t continues to own in the Chicago area on the IL side and uses for it's 10x10 block) 

T-Mobile's contiguous block of 30 mhz is 1740-1755 2140-2155. Their other block was 1730-1735 2130-2135, at&t owns the block just above that (which it acquired through Leap). So I'm guessing T-Mo swapped their block with at&t. 

The AWS in Lake Country is T-Mobile's original ownership. The spectrum swap only changed things for Verizon in the St Louis market and surrounding areas allowing them to deploy 20x20MHz.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3dzfcd/tmobile_verizon_propose_spectrum_swap_to_achieve/

I did find some T-Mobile AWS LTE swaps with AT&T in the Great Lakes region, I'm parsing it as I type this.

I did find some T-Mobile AWS LTE swaps with AT&T in the Great Lakes region, I'm parsing it as I type this.

Yeah I just found the Reddit post about the latest swap with AT&T. It gave Rockford IL area a path to 20x20.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3nv8g3/frenemies_tmobile_att_propose_more_spectrum/

I would love to check, but I can't get this old T-Mobile sim to get a signal in my unlocked iPhone. It just says no service. I can't remember if this is normal, or if an old, deactivated sim would at least give you signal, but no service. I remember reading about people being able to run speed tests on old TMO sims.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

Currently, there's only a few places where AT&T and T-Mobile are swapping AWS and PCS. Chicago isn't one of those places.

Them swapping with at&t here makes absolute perfect sense. AT&T's UARFCN changed in early december/late November from 2225 to 2175, indicating a lower channel, which perfectly aligns with a spectrum swap because T-Mo had the one block below what at&t was using here. 

The deal was probably so small that there is and will be no way to find any documentation about it, until perhaps the change shows up on the FCC spectrum dashboard (?) 

Update: I found the documentation: 

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=9218648

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=9223903

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=9223638

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=9248621