T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

So if I stream Pandora on Music Freedom regardless of how I feel, does that make it enabling behavior?

Yes.  Robert nailed it when he deemed these Net Neutrality transgressions "free candy."  And if you take free candy, then you enable free candy -- even if it is bad for you in the long run.

myvan.jpg

AJ

Yes. Robert nailed it when he deemed these Net Neutrality transgressions "free candy." And if you take free candy, then you enable free candy -- even if it is bad for you in the long run.

myvan.jpg

AJ

Here's the philosophical departure: data from a provider isn't the same as a van down by the river. Realistically what we have is something free whether people want it or not. I would liken it to spam or junk mail.

The real issue is how you fight this: with data caps, this is simply the next step. If artificially low data caps are enabled, then that makes the controlled usage spike up. The only real way to fight off free candy, is either drastically higher caps, or a flat rate that gives out unlimited data altogether up to a point of network prioritization that doesn't affect any but the most prolific of data users. In this case, sponsored data programs are only attractive when the flow of data is artificially limited in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And as Robert has previously posted, that makes you an anti Net Neutrality enabler. Are you proud or ashamed?

I do not traffic in emojis, use them sparingly. But if I were to use the thumbs down emoji, you would get far more than the six dose that you post above.

AJ

Sorry for the emojis. I'm with you on this subject...I was being sarcastic. Truthful about my habits, so I am ashamed. But I'm riding the gravy train as long as it lasts...lol

The comments there seem to be far more educated about the dynamics involved with all that goes on with BingeOn and Network Neutrality. 

I think a lot of this boils down to Recarrierization. 

We all know about the Uncarrier programs T-Mobile unveiled, but where are they on where these programs have gone? 

Uncarrier 1: Simple Choice - seems like a lot of the simple pricing structure has went away. Options on top of options on top of options. 

Uncarrier 2: Jump - already been amended to 50% of phone payments and you have to be insured to do it. Jump on Demand doesn't really fit in this, it isn't available online. 

Uncarrier 3: Simple Global - Good move, but not much high speed access around the globe. Couldn't T-Mobile have their native service in other countries count as pseudo roaming? 

Uncarrier 4: Contract Freedom - You still have to pay the ETF or device off from the carrier you leave. Then wait 8 weeks for a debit card. I don't think it is such a great deal after the fine print. I could pay off a device and sell it and come pretty close out of the hole and not have to wait on T-Mobile to pay me back. 

Uncarrier 5: Test Drive - It's gone, replaced by the Lifetime Coverage Guarantee. I think the 30 days is nice but I wish I could do the 30 day signup online, you can't because you have to do Jump on Demand for the Coverage Guarantee. 

Uncarrier 6: Music Freedom - This is where the slippery slope on Net Neutrality begins, but at least T-Mobile didn't throttle music that didn't fit in their program. 

Uncarrier 7: WiFi Calling - no complaints with that, I wish the other carriers had jumped on that bandwagon sooner. 

Uncarrier 8: Data Stash - Great program but now there's a 20 GB limit on how much you can stash. 

Uncarrier 9: Business Uncarrier: Pooled data. Seems like it's a way to charge business overages. 

Uncarrier 10: BingeOn - see YouTube comments from today. I don't like that YouTube is being compressed without their consent. 

• Like 1

Here's the philosophical departure: data from a provider isn't the same as a van down by the river. Realistically what we have is something free whether people want it or not. I would liken it to spam or junk mail.

The real issue is how you fight this: with data caps, this is simply the next step. If artificially low data caps are enabled, then that makes the controlled usage spike up. The only real way to fight off free candy, is either drastically higher caps, or a flat rate that gives out unlimited data altogether up to a point of network prioritization that doesn't affect any but the most prolific of data users. In this case, sponsored data programs are only attractive when the flow of data is artificially limited in the first place.

This is all in good fun.  You are baiting me with this.  I know you are.  Well, here is your "van down by the river"...

Matt_Foley_-_SNL_Character.jpg

I even will throw in an appropriately Christmas themed "van down by the river"...

https://screen.yahoo.com/motivational-santa-000000892.html

And, yes, bring on the data caps.  Impose them.  That is the right move.  For wireless networks at this time, "unlimited" data is not realistic.  Compete on the size of the data caps.  Do not circumvent Net Neutrality to give people "free candy."  That is a gateway drug.

AJ

• Like 5

New blog post about the network today, including VoLTE figures and an attack on RootMetrics for not testing VoLTE.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/taking-americas-fastest-4g-lte-even-further.htm

Almost 40% of calls made on the T-Mobile network are now on VoLTE. VoLTE is the most advanced network experience you’ll find, and yet, one vocal vendor selling “scientific” network drive test results won’t count these calls when testing the T-Mobile network. Ask those other guys how much of their voice calls are made on LTE!

• Like 1

New blog post about the network today, including VoLTE figures and an attack on RootMetrics for not testing VoLTE.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/taking-americas-fastest-4g-lte-even-further.htm

He isn't wrong, but if T-Mobile is already experiencing better reliability on VoLTE, then he should have included that statistic. I don't know about T-Mobile's VoLTE reliability, but I know that I have had no dropped calls on VoLTE on Verizon and only one blocked call. That's on a network without eSRVCC fallback.

• Like 2

This is all in good fun. You are baiting me with this. I know you are. Well, here is your "van down by the river"...

Matt_Foley_-_SNL_Character.jpg

I even will throw in an appropriately Christmas themed "van down by the river"...

https://screen.yahoo.com/motivational-santa-000000892.html

And, yes, bring on the data caps. Impose them. That is the right move. For wireless networks at this time, "unlimited" data is not realistic. Compete on the size of the data caps. Do not circumvent Net Neutrality to give people "free candy." That is a gateway drug.

AJ

If Unlimited goes (and I don't think it needs to go away as long as there's a 97% prioritization cap), then the buckets in question all have to go up.

Problem is I don't know if they are going up fast enough. Giant bucket with 25 GB for $80 a month seems fair to me.

• Like 1

He isn't wrong, but if T-Mobile is already experiencing better reliability on VoLTE, then he should have included that statistic. I don't know about T-Mobile's VoLTE reliability, but I know that I have had no dropped calls on VoLTE on Verizon and only one blocked call. That's on a network without eSRVCC fallback.

VoLTE is working flawlessly for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 1

I was just trying to provide anecdotal evidence for Fraydog. Nothing wrong with that.

Kids... Sigh.

Sent from my SM-N910T

1. I'm well aware of what you were trying to do. However, I feel like every other one of your posts in this thread is, in short, "My experience is great." We get it.

2. Your second snide remark was unnecessary and demonstrates your lack of maturity despite your age.

However I think it's in everyone's best interest that this doesn't continue as it isn't productive at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1. I'm well aware of what you were trying to do. However, I feel like every other one of your posts in this thread is, in short, "My experience is great." We get it.

2. Your second snide remark was unnecessary and demonstrates your lack of maturity despite your age.

However I think it's in everyone's best interest that this doesn't continue as it isn't productive at all.

Yea, let us not continue.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Like every other post of yours is complaining about someone else? Lol...

• Like 1

Yeah, best to let it rest. Hopefully Root tests VoLTE next year and this becomes a moot point. I'll just say my VoLTE experience is good but also anecdotal and reflective of only Southern Illinois, the St. Louis Metropolitan Area, and Southeast Missouri.

• Like 2

I will remind everyone that this T-Mobile thread at -- wait for it -- Sprint 4G Rollout Updates exists solely at the pleasure of the staff.  It does not exist so that common characters repeatedly can sing the praises of T-Mobile or troll for Magenta.  For those reasons, this thread has been taken down before, and it can be taken down again.  If so, the usual suspects can go off to T4GRU, TmoNews, HowardForums, or elsewhere.

AJ

• Like 4

Like every other post of yours is complaining about someone else? Lol...

You tried it. Congratulations, you played yourself.

I don't know why you insist on keeping something going on that was ended. But like I said, lets end it now so as not to disrupt the flow of this thread.

• Like 1

My Tmo VoLTE experience isn't great. Working from home puts me right in the middle of three towers.. a daily dropped call or two is the norm. Disabling VoLTE solves the problem. So, in my experience where I live, VoLTE is not the panacea. (Cleveland, OH)

I hate to ask, because it is not the "end all solution to all problems". But are you in a band 12 market on a band 12 device? The iPhone 6 (without band 12) was mediocre in fringe areas on VoLTE. But the 6S with band 12 is much improved. At least in the Baltimore market. I hate similar VoLTE issues prior to getting a band 12 handset.

I hate to ask, because it is not the "end all solution to all problems". But are you in a band 12 market on a band 12 device? The iPhone 6 (without band 12) was mediocre in fringe areas on VoLTE. But the 6S with band 12 is much improved. At least in the Baltimore market. I hate similar VoLTE issues prior to getting a band 12 handset.

Two iPhone 6s in a band 12 market. :(  However, I know it shouldn't make a difference, but the 6s with the Samsung processor drops calls significantly more than the 6s with the TSMC processor. As an aside, both phones perform the same with battery drain.