iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus User Thread

COZisBack

Exactly. These phones are skipping right over band 26, and Sprint needs to fix that immediately. The less the average person sees "3G" on their phone, the better Sprint's reputation will be.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I know the PRL doesn't affect LTE switching, but something is going on. It may be Carrier 19 + 55023 PRL. Whatever it is, please don't change anything... haha

Exactly. These phones are skipping right over band 26, and Sprint needs to fix that immediately. The less the average person sees "3G" on their phone, the better Sprint's reputation will be.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Im in an area right now where I know b26 is available but I often go to 3G first. Orlando is much better because b41 is more dense but down here it goes from b41/25 right to 3g....

If I was staying a few more days down here I would test it out. Only time will tell

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

PRL's do not change anything that have to do with LTE band priorities or LTE band switching. What is more than likely happening is when these 'PRL Updates' are released, Apple/Sprint are probably releasing some kind of update to the carrier package also and that update effects LTE band priorities/switching. That is most likely what is occurring. The PRL is just the public thing that we can see that is changing.

-Anthony

PRL's do not change anything that have to do with LTE band priorities or LTE band switching. What is more than likely happening is when these 'PRL Updates' are released, Apple/Sprint are probably releasing some kind of update to the carrier package also and that update effects LTE band priorities/switching. That is most likely what is occurring. The PRL is just the public thing that we can see that is changing.

-Anthony

At least I have 800 voice now, and the PRL does affect that. My daughter's iPhone 5S has a different prl now too.

-Anthony

I doubt they would change the carrier bundle without updating the number. It's still at 18.0.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I'm not sure. I can never find an accurate answer to whether or not a PRL controls LTE band switching. And yes, I've read our article on PRLs. I think the instant band switching was lost when we went from carrier 17.0 to 18.0 with one of the iOS releases.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

PRL on its own has nothing to do with LTE. However, some phones had an LTE available file that was stored with records of where the handset had previously connected to LTE. I wonder if the carrier bundle has something similar.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PRL on its own has nothing to do with LTE. However, some phones had an LTE available file that was stored with records of where the handset had previously connected to LTE. I wonder if the carrier bundle has something similar.

Sprint LTE phones do you use the PRL file for LTE, but not in the way EVDO or 1x do. Whatever region the CDMA is parked in, before LTE will scan, it will check the PRL to see if it is allowed to scan for LTE there. Each region in the U.S. stored in the PRL, tells your device whether LTE can be scanned for in that region or if it is not allowed. In all the PRL's released in the past two years or so, they are all set to scan LTE in every region.

So LTE scans the PRL just for permission to use LTE in a region, that's it. Everything else is determined by the SIM card or the network. Whereas with 1x and EVDO, the PRL tells your device which providers it can use and which channels to scan for whatever technology. LTE does not use the PRL that way. Just a simple yes or no.

Back in 2012, when Sprint wanted to make LTE commercially available, it would push a PRL update changing the LTE region code from no scan to yes scan. It isn't very useful now that all regions are set to yes.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sprint LTE phones do you use the PRL file for LTE, but not in the way EVDO or 1x do. Whatever region the CDMA is parked in, before LTE will scan, it will check the PRL to see if it is allowed to scan for LTE there. Each region in the U.S. stored in the PRL, tells your device whether LTE can be scanned for in that region or if it is not allowed. In all the PRL's released in the past two years or so, they are all set to scan LTE in every region.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

I wonder how that works using custom prls. I've messed around with a few that weren't based on a Sprint prl originally and LTE still worked fine on my nexus 5.

While driving around today in areas where I am 100% sure I drop to 3g, it did. Different though is that it used to take quite a while to reconnect to LTE especially if I am streaming spotify, which I almost always am while driving. I noticed it was connected to LTE, and put it into field test mode. It switched bands much more often, which is good for people in this area. 

There is no reason that you should be on 3g if there is a readily available b25 or b26 or even b41 (though scattered) signal. Updating to 8.3 right now. 

Thanks for this. Updated my phone and still couldn't get wifi calling to pop up. This helped me get it going.

Wifi calling is going to be a godsend. I have zero signal in some spots at work but I have wifi. Woot!

Edit. On the not so good side the lag in the keyboard is back. [emoji17] what the eff.

This is awesome! Not that I would use it, but having WIFI calling is finally awesome for those folks who need it.

There's no downside to having it enabled though, right? If many users adopt Wi-Fi calling, it could potentially take a lot of load off the network, I'd imagine.

There's no downside to having it enabled though, right? If many users adopt Wi-Fi calling, it could potentially take a lot of load off the network, I'd imagine.

The voice load has never been an issue with Sprint though. The only thing I don't like is that I have to dig through a few menu options to get to it.

The voice load has never been an issue with Sprint though. The only thing I don't like is that I have to dig through a few menu options to get to it.

True. I don't know what kind of effect a massive exodus of voice-load would have on data speeds across the LTE bands. Maybe someone else does.

The buried wifi-calling setting is definitely going to prevent a lot of people from even knowing this feature exists, though.