iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus User Thread

COZisBack

There's no downside to having it enabled though, right? If many users adopt Wi-Fi calling, it could potentially take a lot of load off the network, I'd imagine.

According to the FAQ linked above, A Wi-Fi call cannot handoff to cellular.  That could be an issue for some. 

According to the FAQ linked above, A Wi-Fi call cannot handoff to cellular.  That could be an issue for some. 

Good catch. No handoffs until Vo-LTE is live at least, which sucks. Hopefully later this summer we see it.

True. I don't know what kind of effect a massive exodus of voice-load would have on data speeds across the LTE bands. Maybe someone else does.

The buried wifi-calling setting is definitely going to prevent a lot of people from even knowing this feature exists, though.

That annoys me more than anything else. I was expecting a menu option right below WIFI.

• Like 1

Yeah but that has always been the case, so it wouldn't be too much different now.

I notice the FAQ makes it seem as though SMS/MMS doesn't work in a WiFi only area. I'm taking that to mean you'd need a signal from the macro network to still send/receive SMS/MMS, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of WiFi calling imho. Hopefully it's something they can eventually get working.

Network Services Not Supported:

• Messaging (SMS  & MMS) in a Wi-Fi only area (No cellular  coverage provided by the Sprint Nationwide Network) 
  • Wireless Emergency Alerts in a Wi-Fi only area (No cellular coverage provided by the Sprint Nationwide Network) 
  • Premium Caller ID
  • Wireless Priority Services (WPS)
  • Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS)

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#faq16

I notice the FAQ makes it seem as though SMS/MMS doesn't work in a WiFi only area. I'm taking that to mean you'd need a signal from the macro network to still send/receive SMS/MMS, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of WiFi calling imho. Hopefully it's something they can eventually get working.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_WiFi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#faq16

from the faq page linked earlier;

Does Wi-Fi Calling Support Messaging (SMS & MMS)?

For Android devices, messaging is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode even if there is not any coverage from the Nationwide Sprint Network.

For iOS devices, messaging is still handled by the Nationwide Sprint Network. If you do not have coverage then messaging services are not supported. This functionality is expected to be supported over Wi-Fi in the future. iMessage on iOS is supported over Wi-Fi. 

Is anyone having issues with turning off iMessage and trying to send to a message to someone who has iMessage active on their phone. I'm getting a message saying I need to have iMessage active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from the faq page linked earlier;

Does Wi-Fi Calling Support Messaging (SMS & MMS)?

For Android devices, messaging is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode even if there is not any coverage from the Nationwide Sprint Network.

For iOS devices, messaging is still handled by the Nationwide Sprint Network. If you do not have coverage then messaging services are not supported. This functionality is expected to be supported over Wi-Fi in the future. iMessage on iOS is supported over Wi-Fi. 

Well that killed it for me. I was considering updating for the battery improvements that WiFi calling is supposed to bring, but if the phone is still connected to 1x, it's pointless. 

I get a "please contact your carrier" message when trying to turn it on. I'm using Sprint on an unlocked VZW iPhone 6 model. Is all hope lost?

I get a "please contact your carrier" message when trying to turn it on. I'm using Sprint on an unlocked VZW iPhone 6 model. Is all hope lost?

Your phones probably confused because it's not a Sprint programmed phone. Try contacting Sprint like it says they can probably do it for you.

I have Sprint executives working on a case with me about the iphone not switching bands properly. They're still working on it, but sent me an update today. It basically proves that bc10 was not being utilized, but since the prl update last night, it is now rocking and rolling. Good stuff here.

3d0a89af6e6f50e4ad953c0cf54afd38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 2

I have Sprint executives working on a case with me about the iphone not switching bands properly. They're still working on it, but sent me an update today. It basically proves that bc10 was not being utilized, but since the prl update last night, it is now rocking and rolling. Good stuff here.

3d0a89af6e6f50e4ad953c0cf54afd38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+

So much Yes!!!

Got the wifi calling working. it is amazing. 

Well that killed it for me. I was considering updating for the battery improvements that WiFi calling is supposed to bring, but if the phone is still connected to 1x, it's pointless.

Wi-Fi calling can be used in airplane mode. iMessage will still work.

6f13c4c3e32e00517e17346e45b0f833.jpg

• Like 2

Weird. I had to go to My Sprint and add it as a feature. Hope that was just me, because no normal person is going to go through that much trouble to get WiFi calling set up.

If you're still on 8.1 and jail broken, here's a reddit tutorial on how to get wifi calling with the new carrier file:

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/31x9i1/tutorial_enable_wifi_calling_on_sprint_pre_83/

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Where can we get the Sprint Carrier File?  The link included includes the EE one only.

Wifi calling seems to be a little buggy for me on a sprint iPhone 6. Outgoing calls on the first try fail. Redialing goes through no problem.

My router is the T-Mobile ASUS TM-AC1900. My wife has a T-Mobile iphone. Wifi calling for her works perfectly.

Where can we get the Sprint Carrier File? The link included includes the EE one only.

When I click it, it takes me to Dropbox where I see the .IPCC file. You have to side load it through iTunes. I've done it before, and it's pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

When I click it, it takes me to Dropbox where I see the .IPCC file. You have to side load it through iTunes. I've done it before, and it's pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Interesting.  When I clicked the link earlier - it led to file download that was identified as EE ipcc.  When I actually downloaded the file, it was titled TMobile_uk_iPhone.ipcc.

Now when I go to the link, it says Sprint, and the file is titled: Sprint_CSIM_LTE_US_iPhone.ipcc

I'll keep an eye on the reddit page - I dont want to be the first that does it.  lol