Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

3rd carriers are on some macro sites in Houston. If you need proof look through cellmapper sites for the sectors.

Few and far between. Houston is a Clearwire B41 market. I've only seen a few Clearwire panels replaced with 8t8r panels, but that's because those older Clear panels weren't broadcasting B41 (either incompatible or older equipment). 3CA is not available in enough places to declare Houston a 3CA market and will probably be one of the last markets to have 3CA widely deployed. 2CA still provides 50+ Mbps download around Houston, it is just the coverage that lacks.
  • Like 1

Few and far between. Houston is a Clearwire B41 market. I've only seen a few Clearwire panels replaced with 8t8r panels, but that's because those older Clear panels weren't broadcasting B41 (either incompatible or older equipment). 3CA is not available in enough places to declare Houston a 3CA market and will probably be one of the last markets to have 3CA widely deployed. 2CA still provides 50+ Mbps download around Houston, it is just the coverage that lacks.

With limited mapping cellmapper is showing 30+ Sprint B41 inside I-610 a few have 3rd carrier. It is hard to tell how many total there are in the market without a spreadsheet and map to count. Not doubting your experience when I was there 1x800 would not even go a half a mile. Only pointing out that macro sites have 3rd carrier live in Houston and that is a possible source.

That depends. If you need to download something even 50mbps it can be demanding. Your going to be on the network downloading for a while and holding it up for other people. Alot of people have there phones set up to auto download so its a vaild arguement. I say 8mbps is the spot.

That is a very good point, Terrell. I was thinking mostly about web browsing, which minimal speeds are needed for. Yet, while others believe that even 3mbps for web browsing is excessive, I say its minimal, considering load times for embedded video, advertisements, etc., all this takes speed.

On the opposite end of usage, downloading, you have the right idea. I agree 8mbps is a good minimum. Cricket has what appears to be an excellent, widely accepted speed, since I've read that shared opinion by many online, and combined with great pricing and network, is why Cricket is doing so well.

I really think Sprint and T-Mobile ought to dump the a/v speed caps, and incorporate a competing standard with Cricket, with the provision speeds may be lower during network congestion. Although, there are some people recommending Cricket have a slight speed increase to 12mbps.

If I were in charge of Cricket, there would be eight unlimited data plans, all featuring a $15 discount from the first line rate for lines 2 and up. The rates which are listed here are for the first line. The speeds which are listed here are for all forms of data usage. $45 monthly for 9mbps. $60 monthly for 12mbps. $75 monthly for 15mbps. $90 monthly for 18mbps. $105 monthly for 21mbps. $120 monthly for 24mbps. $135 monthly for 27mbps. $150 monthly for 30mbps.

Again, these speeds would be sightly variable, depending on network condions. Still though, they provide great options for people, at a good value appropriate for what is being offered, in my opinion, at least.

The problem with setting such speed caps is that those higher values are much harder to sustain in the mobile industry. Unlike the fixed internet industry with physical connections, there aren't dedicated lanes allowing set speeds. To put it in a more simple analogy for you, lets put things on a smaller scale and think of the cell tower as a fixed cable connection in a house. The more people and more devices you have, usually requires higher speeds to operate as each device running will get its own share of the speed. These are easy to maintain due to a usually low and fixed number of devices in the house. On a tower, you have hundreds and sometimes thousands of connections to one tower with its own fixed backhaul lane. Speeds change constantly due to the operations of each connected device. Advertising a set speed at a costly price sets the company up for several complaints any time those speeds aren't met, turning speed tests into ammo for the consumers. This is the main reason why the mobile industry deals with buckets of data and the fixed isp's can charge by the speed.

• Like 2

The core ingredients for speed tiers are stable, predictable physical transmission and ample, unused capacity.  Neither consistently exists in the macro wireless environment.  Except in fantasyland.

AJ

• Like 4

what he is proposing/pushing for, is *up to* speed caps.

Not guaranteed speed.

So even if the tower had the bandwidth to supply a user with 30+ meg, on an 8meg plan you would get artificially capped at 8meg.

This is essentially what clearwire did with their wimax service, it was capped at either 1.5meg or 6 meg down, and like 1 meg up.

I don't agree that there needs to be 8 different subscription rates, but you could have 2, maybe 3 different rates.

a 3 meg unlimited, a 10 meg unlimited, and an uncapped/best speed unlimited plan.

at say, 40, 60, 80$ price points, or whatever makes economical sense.

• Like 1

I don't disagree regarding the difficulty and dynamic nature of speeds at any point in time on a mobile nature.

That is why I think that 8 segments is silly.

However the 2 or 3 segmentations I listed have enough separation to make the valuation something the end user could see a difference in.

Obviously yes, if a provider had a 3 meg service and 10 meg service, but their network average was 4-6, then there would be zero point to the 10 meg service.

But if you have a service which peaks 100+, and can consistently provide 10+ in most scenarios/locations, then a 3/10/uncapped meg service limit might not be a bad thing.

If offers choice to the consumer, and can help reduce network load, which is something that a lot of you are so ever concerned about.

For every person on the 3/10 meg service, that is one less person sucking up 100+ megs or whatever the max available bw at location provides.

Anyway, like I have said before, we can debate ad nauseum, but since the only ones to control sprint's network and consumer plans, is sprint and not much we say here is going to effect that in any great means.

There are a few reasons I chose the eight different segments, rather than fewer. Personally, I agree less is better, though I was thinking about this in the more reslistic sense where people generally want more choice. I'd rather limit it to three, between 15, 30, and 45 mbps, similar to how Uverse-style pricing. Although, by doing this I needed to compact the speed rating that would fit best with price, etc.

I believe this style of pricing eventually will happen, and it'll be interesting what the carriers come up with specifically in regards to the final outcome of these plans. However, when 5g gets going, I'm hoping and expecting speed csp rating won't need to be so low and as close range as I proposed, which again I did this as the best configuration with what I know currently exists with Cricket.

So is it just me or is the Sprint website down for anyone else? When I go to sprint.com it just gives me a splash page about getting the app for my phone, even though I'm on my PC. Opening the Sprint Zone app gives me a login page and when I log in I get a "System not available" pop-up. Anyone else?

-Anthony

There are a few reasons I chose the eight different segments, rather than fewer. Personally, I agree less is better, though I was thinking about this in the more reslistic sense where people generally want more choice. I'd rather limit it to three, between 15, 30, and 45 mbps, similar to how Uverse-style pricing. Although, by doing this I needed to compact the speed rating that would fit best with price, etc.

I believe this style of pricing eventually will happen, and it'll be interesting what the carriers come up with specifically in regards to the final outcome of these plans. However, when 5g gets going, I'm hoping and expecting speed csp rating won't need to be so low and as close range as I proposed, which again I did this as the best configuration with what I know currently exists with Cricket.

Arysyn,

This is likely beating a dead horse but pleeaase stop writing such useless, verbally wandering posts. They are beyond highly obnoxious...Bordering on pointless. I can't tolerate reading this ish any longer. Learn to condense your flipping thoughts! Please!

• Like 7

Arysyn,

This is likely beating a dead horse but pleeaase stop writing such useless, verbally wandering posts. They are beyond highly obnoxious...Bordering on pointless. I can't tolerate reading this ish any longer. Learn to condense your flipping thoughts! Please!

All I was doing was making a response to a few people who had replied to me. Some seemed to like the general idea of my thoughts, but not the entire implementation. I agreed with the nature pf their differing stance about it, but explained my reasoning.

I wasn't arguing or debating anyone in the post of mine you quoted. Nor was I being insistant on anything and certainly not pushing an issue. I can perhaps understand where some of my longer posts in the past may seem redundant, as there were times I wrote when I was really tired and didn't necessarily put words together so well, but the post you quoted was condensed pretty well and not really that long.

On a separate topic, has anyone seen this new-ish plan from Verizon :

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/17/verizon-introduces-new-5gb-55-individual-promo-plan/

"Verizon Introduces New 5GB, $55 Individual Promo Plan"

I mention new-ish, because it isn't entirely "new", as some people I've read commenting about this, say it is Verizon using its $40 monthly for 5gb package, then adding $20 for the individual line, then giving a $5 discount for those using autopay.

Still though, I like this rate plan. If I didn't have AT&T, I would consider getting this rate plan.

So is it just me or is the Sprint website down for anyone else? When I go to sprint.com it just gives me a splash page about getting the app for my phone, even though I'm on my PC. Opening the Sprint Zone app gives me a login page and when I log in I get a "System not available" pop-up. Anyone else?

-Anthony

The website is up for me.

Arysyn,

haha...thank you! I just learned to skip his posts to be civilized.  It's like reading senseless thought after thought.  OMFG!

• Like 10

These results were inside the stadium which has a DAS for each network. I stated from the beginning these results are smoke and mirrors for all carriers. It's very hard to do 256 QAM in the wild with all that interference.

My point in showing the picture is that in real life situations, 2.5 GHz won't go everywhere midband spectrum goes. All the other carriers have the advantage of having wide band LTE in either the AWS or PCS band while Sprint doesn't. I find it quite alarming that even with a DAS, the phone had to drop down to B25 (because I doubt that speeds dramatically fells down in that one instance just for Sprint).

Heard of HPUE?

B41 travels a lot further for me than B25 does, guess it's just how they have it configured. I hardly ever see B25.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You see B25 rarely because B41 is the preferred band. You are lucky in that your market has either macro sites in sufficient density or has implemented small cells in sufficient numbers.

Heard of HPUE?

The handset based technology where the phone is capable of broadcasting its 2.5GHz signal at a higher output allowing a larger range from the antenna? It's entirely irrelevant to the performance of the network during the Superbowl as no current handset is capable of utilizing that technology.

You see B25 rarely because B41 is the preferred band. You are lucky in that your market has either macro sites in sufficient density or has implemented small cells in sufficient numbers.

It's always B41 or B26, never B25 which is OK by me.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk