Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Looks like we got the games average speeds..

Sprint came in second. Im a little surprised by how well T-Mobile did considering their spectrum offering in this city. How did they achieve that?256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO?

Unfortunately for Sprint, they will always have situations like these happen because of their lack of mid and low band spectrum.

C38zw2cUYAIYwO8.jpg

• Like 1

Sprint came in second. Im a little surprised by how well T-Mobile did considering their spectrum offering in this city. How did they achieve that?256 QAM and 4x4 MIMO?

Unfortunately for Sprint, they will always have situations like these happen because of their lack of mid and low band spectrum.

Yes, Tmobile deployed 256QAM and 4x4MIMO for the game. I dont understand why are you conflating midband and low band spectrum with these results. 

Clearly these average speeds were achieved using 2.5, not only that, only 2xCA with a ton of density.

Also, your showing one instance of speed test. The above are ooklas average throughout the whole game. I saw quite a few speed test on sprint well above 100mbs mark.

• Like 4

Clearly these average speeds were achieved using 2.5, not only that, only 2xCA with a ton of density.

Also, your showing one instance of speed test. The above are ooklas average throughout the whole game. I saw quite a few speed test on sprint well above 100mbs mark.

These results were inside the stadium which has a DAS for each network. I stated from the beginning these results are smoke and mirrors for all carriers. It's very hard to do 256 QAM in the wild with all that interference.

My point in showing the picture is that in real life situations, 2.5 GHz won't go everywhere midband spectrum goes. All the other carriers have the advantage of having wide band LTE in either the AWS or PCS band while Sprint doesn't. I find it quite alarming that even with a DAS, the phone had to drop down to B25 (because I doubt that speeds dramatically fells down in that one instance just for Sprint).

These results were inside the stadium which has a DAS for each network. I stated from the beginning these results are smoke and mirrors for all carriers. It's very hard to do 256 QAM in the wild with all that interference.

My point in showing the picture is that in real life situations, 2.5 GHz won't go everywhere midband spectrum goes. All the other carriers have the advantage of having wide band LTE in either the AWS or PCS band while Sprint doesn't. I find it quite alarming that even with a DAS, the phone had to drop down to B25 (because I doubt that speeds dramatically fells down in that one instance just for Sprint).

So at the end of the day the fact that Sprint nearly doubled ATT/Verizon speeds on average means nothing.

• Like 4

looks to me like the phones were each testing on different servers.

EDIT: yeah every single phone was testing to a different server, the test is invalid as hell.

FWIW, a speed test was shown later in the game where Sprint was down to 20 Mbps+ and AT&T couldn't even begin the test because it had trouble connecting.

• Like 1

What does that mean? Sprint has more BRS/EBS than any carrier has midband spectrum. HPUE devices haven't even come out yet and they're essentially promising the reach of Band 25 (which seems to be your #1 complaint) over Band 41. Sprint hasn't even begun using 256QAM or any other technologies that companies like T-Mobile are using to edge out the competition and yet Sprint came in second place.

T-Mobile is likely aggregating all of the bands it has on air plus a whole heap of extra stuff to pull those speeds and yet measly old Sprint is pulling up to 124Mbps with just 2 Band 41 carriers.

• Like 4

Sounds to me that T-Mobile had to go beyond normal operating procedures in getting their best technology out there, in order to produce their speed results, which were just barely ahead of Sprint's speeds, which Sprint was only using 2xca, not 3xca. So Sprint really ought to be considered the winner here.

I'm still very disappointed AT&T didn't produce better. This looks very bad for them. Thinking about it more, these results also look bad for Verizon, dedpite likely having the most customers at the Super Bowl or a close second to AT&T, Verizon makes a big claim on their network which doesn't hold up here, regardless of users.

According to this. T-Mobile barely won against Sprint

http://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-trolls-Verizon-AT-T-and-Sprint-again-hits-highest-LTE-speeds-at-the-Super-Bowl-LI_id90740

Sad thing is Sprint doesn't have all that extra network stuff on yet that T-Mobile has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Yes, Tmobile deployed 256QAM and 4x4MIMO for the game.

The stadium DAS doesn't have 4x4MIMO. They can definitely do 256QAM and get high utilization because of the nature of a DAS.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The stadium DAS doesn't have 4x4MIMO. They can definitely do 256QAM and get high utilization because of the nature of a DAS.

Dont know if this specifically is related to the DAS, but there is definitely 4x4 MIMO going on around the stadium, but could just be nearby macro sites.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/big-game-network-prep-houston.htm

Dont know if this specifically is related to the DAS, but there is definitely 4x4 MIMO going on around the stadium, but could just be nearby macro sites.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/big-game-network-prep-houston.htm

Of course the macros have it, but inside the stadium (where all the speed tests took place) the DAS is providing the service nearly 100% of the time.

C38zw2cUYAIYwO8.jpg

The snapshot pic is from Tmo.  Let's look somewhere with independent results.  Sprint is doing well even without MIMO and 256. 

what you think that Tmo Employee will show speed tests where they are doing poorly? There is a metric Tmobile havent been able to fix and that is reliability. That is where Verizon torch them and even Sprint.

• Like 3

what you think that Tmo Employee will show speed tests where they are doing poorly? There is a metric Tmobile havent been able to fix and that is reliability. That is where Verizon torch them and even Sprint.

I never understood why? Their network is pretty dense (more than Sprint). I would have thought that came with the territory. But I would take reliability over speed. I'd be content with a stable 5mbps.

• Like 3

I never understood why? Their network is pretty dense (more than Sprint). I would have thought that came with the territory. But I would take reliability over speed. I'd be content with a stable 5mbps.

I agree. Reliability over speed.
  • Like 2

So long as internet speeds remain at 3mbps or higher, it is fine. I notice problems when it gets below 3mbps. Eventually when websites start getting more demanding, then its good to have 4.5mbps or higher, but rarely that.

So long as internet speeds remain at 3mbps or higher, it is fine. I notice problems when it gets below 3mbps. Eventually when websites start getting more demanding, then its good to have 4.5mbps or higher, but rarely that.

That depends. If you need to download something even 50mbps it can be demanding. Your going to be on the network downloading for a while and holding it up for other people. Alot of people have there phones set up to auto download so its a vaild arguement. I say 8mbps is the spot.
  • Like 1

WOW! Nearly 5TB of data was used on Sprint's network at NRG Stadium.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprints-super-fast-lte-plus-network-scores.htm?linkId=34185166

"Two- and three-channel carrier aggregation deployed on small cells, Cells on Wheels (COWs) "....

So small cells are capable of 3xCA? That's news to me

"Two- and three-channel carrier aggregation deployed on small cells, Cells on Wheels (COWs) "....

So small cells are capable of 3xCA? That's news to me

If you read the article carefully, it really does not say exactly that small cells had 3xCA.  Something did, but necessarily small cells.

• Like 1