Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The rich will get richer. I definitely do not share your opinion.

Respectfully, I'll ask what your opinion is? I agree with your mention regarding how the rich will get richer, especially now that there is a political landscape which favors them. However, this is about wireless, not politics. So, I believe the issue is what can be mutually beneficial for both carriers and customers.

I'll add a quick thought here. T-Mobile charging $70 for an individual line with vidro streaming limited to 1.5mbps, unless the customer pays $15 additional per month for the privilege of having to login everyday they want higher quality decent video streaming, is just ridiculous.

The model ought to be similar to what is offered by Cricket and other internet providers. Flat speed for all forms of use, with people paying higher rates for faster speeds, not just for audio/video. Hopefully the new, less FCC-intrusive environment will allow businesses to do this without regulatory pressure.

Definitely not good for internet business competition.

Hi greenbastard,

I've agreed with your sentiment on open discussion in this thread, as this definitely seems the place for it, so long as it remains related to wireless and isn't better fitting for another thread.

So, I'm definitely welcoming of feedback, agree or disagree, at least we all have something in common, which is our interest and care for the wireless industry. Its going to take time, of course, but we'll see what likely is going to produce some massive changes in some ways to how things operate, whether it be spectrum, pricing arrangements, mergers, takeovers, etc. all bringing different perspectives to discuss.

Hi greenbastard,

I've agreed with your sentiment on open discussion in this thread, as this definitely seems the place for it, so long as it remains related to wireless and isn't better fitting for another thread.

Definitely related to wireless. Without some of these laws, at&t could throttle or completely block off services owned by their competitors (Sling TV, PS Vue, Tidal, etc) without many repercussions.

I'm usually a "smaller government" type of guy, but these laws definitely benefited the consumer without forcing IPs to make many changes. If anything, the law got ahead of IPs before they went bananas.

• Like 4

I'll add a quick thought here. T-Mobile charging $70 for an individual line with vidro streaming limited to 1.5mbps, unless the customer pays $15 additional per month for the privilege of having to login everyday they want higher quality decent video streaming, is just ridiculous.

The model ought to be similar to what is offered by Cricket and other internet providers. Flat speed for all forms of use, with people paying higher rates for faster speeds, not just for audio/video. Hopefully the new, less FCC-intrusive environment will allow businesses to do this without regulatory pressure.

Why do you have such a hard on for crickets business model? I'm happy people have to pay more if they want to hammer the network with UHD video streaming. The plan works great for the majority of people, if you absolutely feel the need to have no restrictions then you should be paying more than someone else that doesn't need or want it. "Unlimited" plans have been getting more and more expensive because of usage like this. Those plans are an option to offer "unlimited" data to most customers without having to charge them extra for other people's usage.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Why do you have such a hard on for crickets business model? I'm happy people have to pay more if they want to hammer the network with UHD video streaming. The plan works great for the majority of people, if you absolutely feel the need to have no restrictions then you should be paying more than someone else that doesn't need or want it. "Unlimited" plans have been getting more and more expensive because of usage like this. Those plans are an option to offer "unlimited" data to most customers without having to charge them extra for other people's usage.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

The reason I like Cricket's model of charging, is because it treats all usage fairly at the same speed. It also seems quite popular with people at the rates Cricket charges, other than some have asked for a slight boost in speed from 8mbps to 12mbps or 15mbps, from various comments I've read online.

As I've been very interested in sharing rate plan ideas, I think this flat-speedcap model could work well if there are different increments of it, with my personsl preference being one that is network variable, having a minimum and maximum speed based on network capacity, but with a non-guarantee the minimum couldn't go slower under certain circumstances, etc.

Still, this doesn't mean I'm completely against certain speed limiting on video, but I believe it ought to be more reasonable than 1.5mbps, or at a much lower rate than charging $70 monthly for it. I'd even prefer having a reasonable data fee for it.

Definitely related to wireless. Without some of these laws, at&t could throttle or completely block off services owned by their competitors (Sling TV, PS Vue, Tidal, etc) without many repercussions.

I'm usually a "smaller government" type of guy, but these laws definitely benefited the consumer without forcing IPs to make many changes. If anything, the law got ahead of IPs before they went bananas.

Smaller government is important on certain issues, whereas other issues deserve more regulation, which I think really depend on how a certain issue may affect consumers. I know that in the case of mergers, for example, there does tend to be a negative affect towards consumers on a few fronts that appear to outweigh the benefits for them and of course the major benefits to business in most cases.

I believe that both businesses and the government need to do a better job at making things work out better for both, and maintaining accountability. I also certainly believe this to be possible, and is why I remain optimistic about things relating to business where other consumers have more doubt than I do. I understand both perspectives though, and I hope consumers will put pressure on businesses to keep to their word on helping consumers throught this m&a/business friendly political environment now in place.

I stopped using Xfinity since my phone tends to hold onto it a bit too long

The "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular handover" setting under Developer options really helps with this. Note that it doesn't persist after reboot though.

• Like 4

Respectfully, I'll ask what your opinion is? I agree with your mention regarding how the rich will get richer, especially now that there is a political landscape which favors them. However, this is about wireless, not politics. So, I believe the issue is what can be mutually beneficial for both carriers and customers.

My opinion in wireless is the opposite of what you believe with net neutrality. I don't discuss politics.  

My opinion in wireless is the opposite of what you believe with net neutrality. I don't discuss politics.

I'm not discussing politics either, and I've been very careful in my writing to make sure that the wireless issues relating to political involvement, remain the focus on the core issues of wireless, not politics.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but net neutrality has been discussed on S4GRU quite alot, with some deep debate, yet never have I seen anyone here go too far into the political realm of it. Ultimately, it is your decision what you want to avoid discussing here, just wanted to mention that discussion regarding Net Neutrality isn't forbidden here, nor considered avoidable discussion on that basis, do long as members are able to moderate themselves from taking the issue past focus on wireless into politics.

I want to add a notice of sorts for people reading. I have absolutely no intention of sounding political in my writing here. My focus with my posts here are only to express my thoughts and opinion on making the wireless industry better. That includes my belief of having smart mergers that benefit both business and consumers on the issues of spectrum consolidation and network densification, while also wanting regulations that will safeguard consumers from the concerns many here have expressed to me are legitimate concerns with typical mergers. Again, I advocate these be done more fairly this way producing positive results for both business and consumers.

Then there are all the other topics I discuss here, such as spectrum-related and rate plan issues, which again I focus on the wireless connection to this, nothing political intended at all. Just fyi, I can't even discuss politics before going into my completely anti-political worldviews that tie far more into science and religion, rather than politics. I believe it takes alot more than politics to fix a broken society, and if anything I mention towards that separate from wireless, then that is where I go in the discussion, meaning societal, environmental, life/death, all issues surrounding both of scientific and religious nature.

The "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular handover" setting under Developer options really helps with this. Note that it doesn't persist after reboot though.

I've seen that setting listed in Developer Option section too. What exactly does that do?

• Like 1

I want to add a notice of sorts for people reading. I have absolutely no intention of sounding political in my writing here. My focus with my posts here are only to express my thoughts and opinion on making the wireless industry better.

Don't worry about it. I don't think you generally come off as overly political, and I enjoy reading your posts (mostly because they come from a perspective so different from mine :)).

• Like 2

Is this feature available on iOS?

I have Wi-Fi Assist Enabled.

• Like 1

I wonder how well Sprint will be doing during the Super Bowl. I know it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things as the Superbowl is just a one and done event. But considering that Sprint is only using a total 60 MHz for LTE in Houston, they could be in trouble. For comparison, T-Mobile has a total of 70 MHz dedicated for LTE while At&t has a whopping 90 MHz.

Here is the current configuration carriers (minus Verizon) have set up in town. Keep in mind the current setup for Sprint around town is mostly poor performing Clear towers;

Sprint: B26 5x5, B25 5x5, B41 Clearwire 2+20 MHz

T-Mobile: B12 5x5, B2 10x10, B4 20x20

At&t: B17 10x10, B5 5x5, B2 20x20, B4 10x10

I wonder how well Sprint will be doing during the Super Bowl. I know it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things as the Superbowl is just a one and done event. But considering that Sprint is only using a total 60 MHz for LTE in Houston, they could be in trouble. For comparison, T-Mobile has a total of 70 MHz dedicated for LTE while At&t has a whopping 90 MHz.

Here is the current configuration carriers (minus Verizon) have set up in town. Keep in mind the current setup for Sprint around town is mostly poor performing Clear towers;

Saw some early testing and Sprint was third. In front of Att.

It's fairly self-explanatory.

Ah!, I forgot that was one of the options that has a description. There are a few that don't I'm a bit confused on their meaning though, sort of figured this was one of them, but apparently not.

There is a section there in the D.O. I'm a bit confused about. After all, I'm not a developer. It is for graphics I can tell, at least. Obviously those are meant to help developers, but I'm curious if any of those options would help increase graphic quality in general use?

I often use emulators for old video game systems, and is the primary reason I use Android. Otherwise, I'd definitely be an Apple IOS user.

Don't worry about it. I don't think you generally come off as overly political, and I enjoy reading your posts (mostly because they come from a perspective so different from mine :)).

I'm glad to hear, despite any differences in viewpoint. We all care very much for the wireless industry, and I think it is great S4GRU is here for the benefit of it, while also keeping in mind the focus on Sprint too.

• Like 1

Sprint doing well so far..

https://twitter.com/askdes/status/828343654804815872

• Like 7

Second fastest right now. With less customers and higher speeds, they should hold up better than VZW and AT&T. AT&T's speeds look like my average speeds throughout my day. For having 90MHz online as others have stated, they don't seem to be doing too well.

• Like 6

Second fastest right now. With less customers and higher speeds, they should hold up better than VZW and AT&T. AT&T's speeds look like my average speeds throughout my day. For having 90MHz online as others have stated, they don't seem to be doing too well.

In my opinion, this is absolutely pathetic results for AT&T. Being in the big two, they are trailing around 20mbps from Verizon, when they ought to be around Verizon's speeds. As many here on S4GRU know, I have AT&T and think their network is fantastic here in Chicago, but this shows they are worse at the Super Bowl where they really need to be making a great impression.

I'm certainly not a fan of sports (It is depressing to watch considering my chronic disabilities), yet I realize these major sporting events are becoming massive oportunities for wireless networks to showcase their abilities. In this Super Bowl, AT&T miserably fails.

Sprint's results are quite impressive, and I'd say there might be more customers of Sprint at the Super Bowl than T-Mobile. Still, excellent results by T-Mobile there nonetheless. Verizon's speeds seem to be what is expected from them, considering the large numbers of Verizon customers probably there attending the Super Bowl. Yet, AT&T, big disappointment!

Perhaps these results will convince AT&T to buy T-Mobile! ????