Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Wait...did Verizon get a new CEO a little ago?

They got a new CFO after their previous CFO, who was strongly against offering unlimited data, retired at the end of the year.

They got a new CEO after their previous CEO, who was strongly against offering unlimited data, retired at the end of the year.

Oh ok. I thought so. This is probably way Unlimited came back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh ok. I thought so. This is probably way Unlimited came back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was actually their CFO, I made a typo in my previous post.

Dang I wish the iPhone 8 was coming out soon so I can go ahead and switch. If it does come out in September then hopefully Sprint shows drastic improvement (densified network and VoLTE) otherwise I'm switching to Vzw.

I always wanted to switch but I never did because they didn't have unlimited.

San Diego market sux ass for Sprint.  I guess I will be moving too because Unlimited is back.

• Like 2

Can we talk about the implications of this for T-Mobile as well? Sprint already undercuts everyone so even though this will get them, they still hold their value proposition. This will cut into T-Mobile by a lot considering it's cheaper than their One Plus plan while offering an arguably better network, HD streaming, high speed tethering, etc.

This will definitely force Sprint and T-Mobile to offer more in their current plans and create new deals to keep customers from switching.

I'm super excited about this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Can we talk about the implications of this for T-Mobile as well? Sprint already undercuts everyone so even though this will get them, they still hold their value proposition. This will cut into T-Mobile by a lot considering it's cheaper than their One Plus plan while offering an arguably better network and high streaming, high speed tethering, etc.

This will definitely force Sprint and T-Mobile to offer more in their current plans and create new deals to keep customers from switching.

I'm super excited about this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Not to mention At&t is losing customers and may force them to get a real competitive unlimited plan without the need to have direct tv. Verizon is going to be a problem.
  • Like 6

2 things that come to mind, new FCC chairman and Verizon is no longer king in big cities. So unless this is within a few bucks not really a big deal for big city folk.

More rural areas I could definitely see the allure. Where sprint and T-Mobile don't do as well.

But I definitely see Verizon buckling under the load here in nyc as they have before.

It undercuts the shit out of both Sprint and T-Mobile, no question. It also forces AT&T into offering unlimited to non-DirecTV customers.  We're going to see a lot of ramifications out of this. 

I was shocked to see my social media feeds on fire over this on a Sunday, last time that I can remember an announcement like this happening on a Sunday was when AT&T tried to buy out T-Mobile. 

• Like 8

2 things that come to mind, new FCC chairman and Verizon is no longer king in big cities. So unless this is within a few bucks not really a big deal for big city folk.

More rural areas I could definitely see the allure. Where sprint and T-Mobile don't do as well.

But I definitely see Verizon buckling under the load here in nyc as they have before.

I must disagree here, most Verizon users are also in big cities, but they'll use Verizon to have fast big city and rural coverage. For those with money, Verizon is preferred not just because of city coverage but because of out of city coverage. Lots of vacation areas still have what I'd call specious T-Mobile and Sprint coverage. If you're a 1% er you're going to end up paying for the best quality service. T-Mobile has made great strides, but let me tell you, they still don't have the rural coverage yet as far as quality goes to compete with the Big Two. What they have is working LTE in these rural areas but they haven't got nearly as many dead spots covered up. Even if T-Mobile and Sprint merge, there's still going to have to be a lot of additional towers even in the areas where T-Mobile currently covers and Sprint does not (or in rare cases, vise versa). 

• Like 2

I must disagree here, most Verizon users are also in big cities, but they'll use Verizon to have fast big city and rural coverage. For those with money, Verizon is preferred not just because of city coverage but because of out of city coverage. Lots of vacation areas still have what I'd call specious T-Mobile and Sprint coverage. If you're a 1% er you're going to end up paying for the best quality service. T-Mobile has made great strides, but let me tell you, they still don't have the rural coverage yet as far as quality goes to compete with the Big Two. What they have is working LTE in these rural areas but they haven't got nearly as many dead spots covered up. Even if T-Mobile and Sprint merge, there's still going to have to be a lot of additional towers even in the areas where T-Mobile currently covers and Sprint does not (or in rare cases, vise versa).

Your missing my point. When Sprint is averaging 30mbs in NYC and Verizon at 25 you add the extra load of unlimited. It's tough to justify paying 2x so you could have signal a few times a year you travel outside the city.

Now if the value proposition is reasonable (it's not gonna be unless Verizon is ready to piss off all there current customers) then yes.

Also, the reason I mention thr new FCC chairman is I fully expect this "unlimited" plan to come with a huge ***

Which would most likely not have sit well with wheeler.

It undercuts the shit out of both Sprint and T-Mobile, no question. It also forces AT&T into offering unlimited to non-DirecTV customers.  We're going to see a lot of ramifications out of this. 

I was shocked to see my social media feeds on fire over this on a Sunday, last time that I can remember an announcement like this happening on a Sunday was when AT&T tried to buy out T-Mobile. 

I don't know if I'd use the word undercut for Sprint since right now you can get two unlimited lines for only $10 more than a single line on Verizon. However I do agree that Verizon is offering greater value with the 10GB of hotspot and HD streaming.

• Like 1

I know we're tired of merger rumors but if this does have a big enough impact on T-Mobile and Sprint, it could give them more reason to want to merge. The main counterargument is that both carriers are doing well now and that they are taking a toll on VZW and AT&T but this could potentially change that.

Your missing my point. When Sprint is averaging 30mbs in NYC and Verizon at 25 you add the extra load of unlimited. It's tough to justify paying 2x so you could have signal a few times a year you travel outside the city.

Now if the value proposition is reasonable (it's not gonna be unless Verizon is ready to piss off all there current customers) then yes.

Also, the reason I mention thr new FCC chairman is I fully expect this "unlimited" plan to come with a huge ***

All my friends and family all were on Nextel, they moved to Verizon.  Some are paying around $400/month for 6 lines and they don't care.  What they would always say "my phone will work when I want it to work".  No argument there in San Diego.  I personally have been holding out for Sprint to do better.  I would have left Sprint long ago if Verizon had brought back unlimited.  I guess that day has come.  Sprint in San Diego has been dead last on Root Metrics past several years.  Many would pay for the premium and I know plenty that does. 

• Like 1

I think you may be missing my point. 

The people that you know over six figures, what carrier do they use? I'm betting a large chunk of them (if you do know those people) are on Verizon. 

• Like 1

The people that you know over six figures, what carrier do they use? I'm betting a large chunk of them (if you do know those people) are on Verizon.

Those "six figure" folks are already on Verizon.

All my clients use Verizon.  They simply say, "I'll pay for the premium as long it works when I want it to work".  I cannot say that of Sprint.  So yes, it's a true assessment, all my clients make 6 or 7 figures, none of them have Sprint.

In NY probably, my clients in San Diego travel throughout the country.  I attempted to move many to Sprint, they ask "will it work when I want it to work"?  Hard question to answer... So yes, they will pay the premium.  It's maybe a tax write off for them anyways.

That may be true for NY and a few other markets but most markets Verizon is much faster in most metros and puts Sprint to shame in interstate coverage and rural coverage. NY is not the entire network on a whole.
  • Like 2