Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The handset based technology where the phone is capable of broadcasting its 2.5GHz signal at a higher output allowing a larger range from the antenna? It's entirely irrelevant to the performance of the network during the Superbowl as no current handset is capable of utilizing that technology.

Please see quoted. I was replying to the comment regarding B41 not having the reach of midband spectrum.

Chairman Masa Son says Sprint could deploy “hundreds of thousands” of small cells in plan to make it the #1 network in the US. $S. [emoji848][emoji848] it could be done in the top 120 markets , but doesn't network expansion also count to be the number 1 network ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chairman Masa Son says Sprint could deploy “hundreds of thousands” of small cells in plan to make it the #1 network in the US. $S. [emoji848][emoji848] it could be done in the top 120 markets , but doesn't network expansion also count to be the number 1 network ?

[emoji23] when and where did he say this?

• Like 1

Heard of HPUE?

Yes, but have you seen it in action? I'm just not buying the story of HPUE devices enabling EBS/BRS to reach the same areas PCS LTE. Call me a skeptic, but I'm going to approach HPUE with very little fanfare. We've seen similar claims on this board in the past about MIMO, beam forming, etc. Physics gets in the way and stuff never works as expected in real world scenarios. Based on history, I would hold off on your excitement until we see what we actually get with HPUE.
  • Like 1

Please see quoted. I was replying to the comment regarding B41 not having the reach of midband spectrum.

Please read the quoted text again yourself. It was discussing the performance of B41 at the Superbowl and it's lack of reach compared to the midband spectrum...all of which is currently true. Throwing in HPUE is irrelevant due to the fact that it is a technology dependent upon handsets that currently are not commercially available, thus not applicable to the setting in discussion.

In the future, yes HPUE will (in theory) help the reach of B41.

• Like 1

Please read the quoted text again yourself. It was discussing the performance of B41 at the Superbowl and it's lack of reach compared to the midband spectrum...all of which is currently true. Throwing in HPUE is irrelevant due to the fact that it is a technology dependent upon handsets that currently are not commercially available, thus not applicable to the setting in discussion.

In the future, yes HPUE will (in theory) help the reach of B41.

HPUE will help, but sprint optimized the hell out of band 25.. it will be hard for HPUE to reach that far

He said it at an investors conference... http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-s-turnaround-boosts-softbank-to-71-jump-profit

He also said that he's open to an acquisition or merger of some kind even if Sprint is not the acquiring company.

I seen that, but if there making 71% why wouldn't they just run with sprint

That's one of the options. I foresee a transaction of some kind in Sprint's future. Particularly after they pay off the debt coming due in 2017.

HPUE will help, but sprint optimized the hell out of band 25.. it will be hard for HPUE to reach that far

Tweaks to power levels made to antennas do not equal with the increase in handset broadcast power levels. This does not change anything to B25. HPUE is ENTIRELY dependent upon new technology in the handset allowing a higher output on the return signal from phone to antenna regarding the 2.5GHz spectrum. Does this change any of the physical limitations of the higher band vs the mid band? Lets look at this like walkie talkies. The tower is let's say a 50 mile range walkie talkie and you're using a 25 mile range walkie talkie. While the tower is capable of broadcasting a signal further due to higher power outputs, your phone is limited in its ability to talk back to the tower. That's when your connection drops down to B25, and then later to B26. So yes, B25 will still outperform B41 in range. It is however a huge advancement in Sprint being able to utilize the B41 spectrum in more places. Likely places to see improvement are to those who lose B41 as soon as they enter a building (ie office workers) allowing a little more oomph from their device to maintain the connection.

Will T-Mobile have enough in the tank to make a offer

I would rather see Sprint combine with no one. Seeing as a merger or acquisition is possible, id rather it be with a cable company and not another cellular carrier. Sprint has the tools it needs. Quite honestly, has the better hand overall but it then boils down to execution of their assets.

• Like 2

I would rather see Sprint combine with no one. Seeing as a merger or acquisition is possible, id rather it be with a cable company and not another cellular carrier. Sprint has the tools it needs. Quite honestly, has the better hand overall but it then boils down to execution of their assets.

I think this current team is good at that . They just need a higher capex

I think this current team is good at that . They just need a higher capex

Their CAPEX says otherwise.

I agree with both comments. The way they have their capex set it looks like they will just do enough until a deal is reached. They have the spectrum, the network can easily adopt and deploy new tech most of the time but the money part holds them back. I'm just not too convinced with the spend less and have noticeable network results. At the same time throwing a crap load of money at the network won't fix things either all the time. This year will be a telling sign.

• Like 1

I agree with both comments. The way they have their capex set it looks like they will just do enough until a deal is reached. They have the spectrum, the network can easily adopt and deploy new tech most of the time but the money part holds them back. I'm just not too convinced with the spend less and have noticeable network results. At the same time throwing a crap load of money at the network won't fix things either all the time. This year will be a telling sign.

I agree! Throwing a whole lot of money in to the network won't fix thing. But it would allow them to convert the remaining 3G towers to LTE on their current network footprint.. it would allow to complete remaining network vision sites to band 41 at a faster rate... have a faster roll out of small cells in multiple markets etc..

Yeah I agree. Sprint has roughly 40% the number of customers Verizon has but is spending less than 20% year over year what Verizon is spending on their network. Verizon is deploying small cells too so I don't buy the whole we don't need to spend alot of money bs for a second. They won't need to spend alot of money once equipment is in place on most of there towers but right now that capex needs to rise big time. I think they will spend more during the summer.
  • Like 1

Of course putting a ton of money into the network (provided they applied the funds in a reasonable intelligent fashion) would fix the network. Would it gain them market share? They seem to think there is better use for their funds, I am skeptical.

In any case their negative reputation is almost entirely network related.

• Like 1

Yes, but have you seen it in action? I'm just not buying the story of HPUE devices enabling EBS/BRS to reach the same areas PCS LTE. Call me a skeptic, but I'm going to approach HPUE with very little fanfare. We've seen similar claims on this board in the past about MIMO, beam forming, etc. Physics gets in the way and stuff never works as expected in real world scenarios. Based on history, I would hold off on your excitement until we see what we actually get with HPUE.

I know you live in/near a mainly Clearwire B41 market so perhaps you haven't experienced a market that has mature deployment of Sprint 8T8R equipment. It does make a difference. 

• Like 2

No, this year is another year of skinny cows because they have a pretty significant debt payment(s) coming up. I think we will see a noticeable uptick in 2018.