Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The worst part is that before the Manhattan densification, most NYC users here claimed Sprint was already good. A lot of them were the first to defend the propagation issues B41 faces by using Manhattan as an example.

So why spend resources in a market that didn't really need it? San Diego or San Francisco could have used those resources over Manhattan right off the top of my head. Those markets are terrible Sprint markets.

It's just another questionable move by KC HQ. If Son ends up buying T-Mobile, he needs to pull out of KC and just stick with the Seattle HQ.

Where is the densification in Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville, Tampa? The suburbs anywhere? It's a good thing that work is paying for the Sprint service.

Edited by bigsnake49

Where is the densification in Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville, Tampa? The suburbs anywhere?

So you have verified that zero new sites be it macro or small cells have been added in any of those cities? Please share, s4gru needs more sources.

• Like 1

That $50 unlimited freedom promo that Sprint was running for four days last week wasn't so limited after all. Starting on Friday, they're offering the promo again and it will be available to sign up for until the end of March, with the promo pricing remaining in effect until the end of March 2018.

• Like 4

So you have verified that zero new sites be it macro or small cells have been added in any of those cities? Please share, s4gru needs more sources.

I can say for sure that Houston's northern and western suburbs haven't seen any small cells. Sprawl has beaten both Sprint and T-Mobile. Unfortunately only T-Mobile is trying to catch with a macro here and there while Sprint is trying to get by with low CAPEX.
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/02/01/sprint-exec-merger-may-be-necessary-to-compete.html [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I can't say I'm not shocked. The sad thing is Sprint has what it needs to compete and give these other carriers a run for their money. It's like they are doing enough with the network to prep for a merger. Pay down as much debt as humanly possible. Then hearing it on the call as reported by the article that merging may be needed. I really don't like that kind of bow out statement. If this hold true I'll be sad to one of the oldest carriers vanish.

• Like 5

What about merging with smaller carriers instead of t-mobile? Like for instance US Cellular?

Over in the Puerto Rico thread someone found an article stating that Sprint might be buying Open Mobile to expand their operations in Puerto Rico.

As far as U.S. Cellular, they don't want to merge with anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Over in the Puerto Rico thread someone found an article stating that Sprint might be buying Open Mobile to expand their operations in Puerto Rico.

As far as U.S. Cellular, they don't want to merge with anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That would not be the best use of funds. Sprint already has quite good coverage in Puerto Rico.

I traveled on interstate 10 a few months ago and about around sierra Blanca I was roaming on Verizon for about 10 miles on LTE speeds were around 8mbps ... I checked all setting phones said Verizon

How exactly did you verify? Android or iOS? It could be possible you roamed on Verizon 1x and had Sprint LTE

I traveled on interstate 10 a few months ago and about around sierra Blanca I was roaming on Verizon for about 10 miles on LTE speeds were around 8mbps ... I checked all setting phones said Verizon

Almost certain you were not roaming on Verizon LTE, rather some combo of Verizon 1x and either Sprint LTE or a partner LTE. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2017/02/01/sprint-exec-merger-may-be-necessary-to-compete.html [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Makes sense. Sprint needs to merge/collaborate with a cable company or Dish b/c it needs to offer more than just wireless service. I'm all for a Sprint/T-Mobile merger but I would prefer SoftBank to buy Charter or Dish. I feel it would be better long term.

Just my opinion.

A Sprint/T-Mobile/Dish Merger would be amazing lol

• Like 2

Where is the densification in Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville, Tampa? The suburbs anywhere? It's a good thing that work is paying for the Sprint service.

If you've been following the Tampa thread, Sprint filed and received four permits for mini-macros in the City of Tampa in December/January. I'm sure there are other permits filed in the Tampa Bay area, but the city has the best permitting system. Mobilitie also filed to install small cells, but it never got issue due to their own issues. Also, trying to put a 70 foot pole in front of someone's house on the most scenic boulevard in the area probably wasn't going to go over very well...

• Like 1

Not according to the people that live there and post in the Puerto Rico/USVI thread.

It depends on what they are wanting. I have traveled there and never had a problem. I'm sure just like in the states that once you get into the more rural areas coverage is not as good. I'm just saying Sprint has limited funds and needs to use them wisely. It would be much more prudent for them to expand coverage where suburban and urban sprawl has outpaced the current network. There are many areas in the south like this. Even in the NYC market there are still parts along Metro North where service comes to a crawl. I do think that Sprint is positioning itself for a merger right now and worrying about the upcoming debt.

Makes sense. Sprint needs to merge/collaborate with a cable company or Dish b/c it needs to offer more than just wireless service. I'm all for a Sprint/T-Mobile merger but I would prefer SoftBank to buy Charter or Dish. I feel it would be better long term.

Just my opinion.

A Sprint/T-Mobile/Dish Merger would be amazing lol

Just to add a few point and hope I get some feedback. At this point is sprint/ SoftBank in a position to initiate a merger.. after SoftBank just spent 30 billion on ARM and needs another 25 billion in investments for ARM.. also, if SoftBank is now aware that sprint is making great progress and is adding customer and network is performing the best it has ever... why isn't SoftBank giving sprint a boost in network capex to ramp things up.. it can only get better from this point on.. SoftBank is the one that wanted to get there hands on the us market.. I think sprint would have to perform as they have for a few more Quarters for companies to take a shot to see if the growth is sustainable... just some points, wanted to see what you guys think

The worst part is that before the Manhattan densification, most NYC users here claimed Sprint was already good. A lot of them were the first to defend the propagation issues B41 faces by using Manhattan as an example.

So why spend resources in a market that didn't really need it? San Diego or San Francisco could have used those resources over Manhattan right off the top of my head. Those markets are terrible Sprint markets.

It's just another questionable move by KC HQ. If Son ends up buying T-Mobile, he needs to pull out of KC and just stick with the Seattle HQ.

Sprint could do in San Diego like what they did in Las Vegas with B41. We are on 2x B25 and swiss cheese B41. Probably one of the worse markets today. It's already 2017 and LTE speedso are getting worse. Still too many indoor coverage on 3G. Luckily places where I work and play have good coverage.

It depends on what they are wanting. I have traveled there and never had a problem.

I imagine they're wanting good coverage and good speeds at a reasonable price, pretty much like the rest of us. I think we can agree that there is a HUGE difference between visiting somewhere and actually living there when evaluating a network's performance. If the rumors are to be believed then stock would be used for the acquisition as opposed to cash.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I imagine they're wanting good coverage and good speeds at a reasonable price, pretty much like the rest of us. I think we can agree that there is a HUGE difference between visiting somewhere and actually living there when evaluating a network's performance. If the rumors are to be believed then stock would be used for the acquisition as opposed to cash.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes and you can clearly see from the threads here there are far more lucrative markets that also need a performance boost. I am always open to Sprint expanding and I am NOT against this move IF it adds to their bottom line and helps them compete better. So far Sprint has begun to round that corner, but I still feel their ultimate goal is to merge, which I think is unfortunate. And stock still has to be accounted for in financial reporting. The USVI area is also a very complicated network build and one that can be costly. Don't forget the vast majority of St. John's is protected land and towers cannot be built. As for the visiting somewhere, I'm not sure I would make that argument without knowing the person and how long the 'visit' was and what he/she did during that visit. Visitors are much less likely to have WiFi options available to them as compared to residents and more likely to spend the vast majority of their time on cellular. Again though, I am NOT against this move if it adds to the bottom line and helps improve the overall quality of the network. 

Just to add a few point and hope I get some feedback. At this point is sprint/ SoftBank in a position to initiate a merger.. after SoftBank just spent 30 billion on ARM and needs another 25 billion in investments for ARM.. also, if SoftBank is now aware that sprint is making great progress and is adding customer and network is performing the best it has ever... why isn't SoftBank giving sprint a boost in network capex to ramp things up.. it can only get better from this point on.. SoftBank is the one that wanted to get there hands on the us market.. I think sprint would have to perform as they have for a few more Quarters for companies to take a shot to see if the growth is sustainable... just some points, wanted to see what you guys think

A merger is not an acquisition. But in order for Sprint to merge with T-Mobile they need to raise their stock price even further, that's probably why their caps is so low, they're trying to pay down debt and also get more subscribers.

If you've been following the Tampa thread, Sprint filed and received four permits for mini-macros in the City of Tampa in December/January. I'm sure there are other permits filed in the Tampa Bay area, but the city has the best permitting system. Mobilitie also filed to install small cells, but it never got issue due to their own issues. Also, trying to put a 70 foot pole in front of someone's house on the most scenic boulevard in the area probably wasn't going to go over very well...

And yet the other carriers have done it.