Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Just received this comment (as I was reading this thread) on an article I added to my flipboard magazine regarding the OpenSignal report. It's funny how peoples' experiences differ...

attachicon.gif IMG_6694.PNG

Living in the Band 2 only areas is rough if you want to give T-Mobile a go. That seems to be where most of the rural complaints come from IMO. If only Sprint had been in a lot of these areas around my neck of the woods, they'd be an option. Band 26 may be more narrow compared to Verizon's Band 13 and AT&T's Band 12 (really 17 but technically 12 thanks to MBFI) but it wouldn't be slow at all. It would be quite useable.

Where if Sprint and T-Mo merged here and the existing T-Mobile engineers had access to Band 26, they'd fill in any remaining gaps without low band very quickly.

In the b12 places band selection could be used and the new merged company would have equal footing to VZW and AT&T rural wise.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Something else to consider in Sprint being behind is the speed drop off to B25/26. In my most recent tests of Sprint that has been a big issue, more than when I was a full time sub last. They really need to get 25+25, 25+26, and especially 26+25 CA combinations going. If they would do 3xCA on all their FDD carriers that would be even better. It would help a lot in softening the blow going from B41 to 25 or 26. And not to beat a dead horse but they need to increase the range of B25/26 too.

See each carrier will have different results. I think at this point I've given up on these "individualized" tests the carrier do. The funny thing is Sprint and mainly T-Mobile are always out to prove. Honestly we don't know what was cherry picked or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hope they aren't that behind. The user sample size was pretty small. But too, I want to know the distribution of users per each carrier and the places tested. Was it all in city or a combination of both city and rural?

Exactly! Rootmetrics actually does a test drive.  This relies on users based that could be skewed to the carrier with the population that has the most or least users of the app, and where these users are based. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised by the views of Sprint here being on the less optimistic side lately. I agree Sprint really needs to do something, and I side with those wanting Sprint to densify, rather than to merge. However, its pretty apparent Sprint wants a merger with T-Mobile, and I seriously doubt things are going to begin getting better for Sprint until either they merge, or they do what they really ought to be doing, which is not to place all bets on this merger, and at least do some densification in the meanwhile.

Yet, looking at these OpenSignal reports, it isn't looking too good for AT&T either, which while AT&T is great in Chicago, these reports show that it isn't this good everywhere for AT&T. With few options available to all carriers but Sprint, since Sprint already has a commanding lead on spectrum, the only way for a carrier to greatly increase the spectrum needed to make further densification worthwhile, either is to merge with another carrier, or to buy Dish.

• Like 1

Pretty aggressive promo for new customers: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-announces-five-lines-of-unlimited-data-talk-and-text-for-90month.htm

Line 1 is $50/month

Line 2 is $40/month

Lines 3-5 are free until March 31, 2018.

Fine Print:

Savings until March 31, 2018; then $60/mo. for line 1 and $30/mo. lines 3-5. Mobile optimized: video streams at up to 480p+ resolution, music at up to 500kbps, gaming at up to 2Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. Pricing shown with $5/mo./line AutoPay discount applied within two invoices. Requires eBill and new account activation. Other monthly charges apply.

• Like 1

Pretty aggressive promo for new customers: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-announces-five-lines-of-unlimited-data-talk-and-text-for-90month.htm

Line 1 is $50/month

Line 2 is $40/month

Fine Print:

Savings until March 31, 2018; then $60/mo. for line 1 and $30/mo. lines 3-5. Mobile optimized: video streams at up to 480p+ resolution, music at up to 500kbps, gaming at up to 2Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. Pricing shown with $5/mo./line AutoPay discount applied within two invoices. Requires eBill and new account activation. Other monthly charges apply.

I like how aggressive they are this quarter.  Usually, 1st quarter doesn't have a lot of promotions.  They are serious about accelerating. 

• Like 1

Line 1 is $50/month

Line 2 is $40/month

Fine Print:

It's a great promo but man I wish current customers could get in on this. I would drop my framily plan for this.
  • Like 7

Line 1 is $50/month

Line 2 is $40/month

Fine Print:

Hope that fine print isn't too fine for the customer to read:

"Savings through March 31, 2018. After the promotional period is over, customers will pay the additional $10/month for first line, the second line remains at $40/month and each of lines 3-5 are $30/month – with AutoPay."

$90/month for 5 lines goes up to $190/month after a about a year.  That's over a 110% increase in your monthly bill! 

• Like 1

It's a great promo but man I wish current customers could get in on this. I would drop my framily plan for this.

I think if Sprint really wanted to do this in a very successful, loyal way, they would have it be at these rates for the Premium version of this plan, and also available to all customers. I know, I've heard some say that current customers, even long-standing customers don't need these promos, because their rate is already lower than the rates nowadays, including the promo rates for new customers.

Whether or not its true regarding the rate being lower for current and long-standing customers, which isn't always the case if it is true in some circumstances, the case should always be that both current and long-standing customers should have access to the same promotions new customers get. AT&T, Verizon, and even T-Mobile offer their promos for all customers. So should Sprint!

Hope that fine print isn't too fine for the customer to read:

"Savings through March 31, 2018. After the promotional period is over, customers will pay the additional $10/month for first line, the second line remains at $40/month and each of lines 3-5 are $30/month – with AutoPay."

$90/month for 5 lines goes up to $190/month after a about a year. That's over a 110% increase in your monthly bill!

Sounds like a bad deal to me. I'll give T-Mobile credit, in at least they let customers keep their promo rate, whereas Sprint says "Okay, now we need to double your rate for those five lines. Trying to buy T-Mobile is going to be quite expensive for us, even if we don't end up getting them, we need the money for the breakup fee. Oh and btw, we are not doing many upgrades to our network this year and so if you end up not satisfied with us, you're stuck with us and your phones, unless you find another carrier to bail you out.".

I like how aggressive they are this quarter.  Usually, 1st quarter doesn't have a lot of promotions.  They are serious about accelerating. 

I remember Nextel doing the same thing before they merged with Sprint. Pump up the numbers before the merger.

• Like 2

I remember Nextel doing the same thing before they merged with Sprint. Pump up the numbers before the merger.

You could be right. It is possible Sprint is planning to do this, though the more that they do with this, se3ms to make their chances of success merging with T-Mobile even less, considering the vast differences between them that these promo differences seem to make ever the more clear.

I read it when it came across my twitter feed. I got excited thinking I was going to hear about a possible sign up discount for Sprint, Boost and Virgin users but no info just yet.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bad deal to me. I'll give T-Mobile credit, in at least they let customers keep their promo rate, whereas Sprint says "Okay, now we need to double your rate for those five lines. Trying to buy T-Mobile is going to be quite expensive for us, even if we don't end up getting them, we need the money for the breakup fee. Oh and btw, we are not doing many upgrades to our network this year and so if you end up not satisfied with us, you're stuck with us and your phones, unless you find another carrier to bail you out.".

How is that a bad deal? It's a promotional rate, and an excellent one at that. There's no way they could keep five lines for $90/month with unlimited plans permanently. If the service isn't good in your area, don't buy it. In a strong Sprint market this is as good as it gets for getting families to switch over. The network is much better than it used to be, getting people to come back or try it is hard and awesome deals are the best thing they can do to win back customers that might not have ever tried Sprint.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

How is that a bad deal? It's a promotional rate, and an excellent one at that. There's no way they could keep five lines for $90/month with unlimited plans permanently. If the service isn't good in your area, don't buy it. In a strong Sprint market this is as good as it gets for getting families to switch over. The network is much better than it used to be, getting people to come back or try it is hard and awesome deals are the best thing they can do to win back customers that might not have ever tried Sprint.

Its a bad deal for essentially that it doesn't last, rauses the rates substantially once expired, puts those who chose it in a difficult situation at that time if the price hike isn't worth it to them, let alone once again, Sprint isn't offering another promo to existing customers.

The other carriers have promos that not only are for new and existing customers, they get to keep the same rate so long as they don't switch out of the promo. If Sprint had done this, then it would have been a great deal, imo, even if Sprint kept it at non-premium, although I think it would have been a nice added perk to it anyways.

Its a bad deal for essentially that it doesn't last, rauses the rates substantially once expired, puts those who chose it in a difficult situation at that time if the price hike isn't worth it to them, let alone once again, Sprint isn't offering another promo to existing customers.

The other carriers have promos that not only are for new and existing customers, they get to keep the same rate so long as they don't switch out of the promo. If Sprint had done this, then it would have been a great deal, imo, even if Sprint kept it at non-premium, although I think it would have been a nice added perk to it anyways.

I see this deal essentially the same as other "free" promotions like getting free HBO for a year when signing up for cable. Just because it doesn't last doesn't mean it's not good. That's money subscribers save, and if they are smart about their device they aren't locked into any service agreement either. It's a way to get people to try the service, if they are happy with it after a year and see the value they will keep paying for it. If they don't they can move on or cancel.

• Like 5