Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

It's actually all new equipment. It's simply at the sites that Clear already owned in NYC so they didn't have to go through all of the hoops that setting up all new small cells require such as figuring out where to deploy and getting access to the street light in the first place.

Yup, made it much easier there

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes, but you can't really fill in LTE gaps with small cells it's only used for capacity.. so, macro sites will be needed. I don't think it's saving them any money ether. I think the money they were going to use for a macro sites there just investing it in small cells (which is fine ). In some cities they have a dense enough Marco grid like a new York, but even there they haven't rolled out mobility small cells. Sprint just converted Wimax mini tower over to TD-LTE. I hope they are doing both adding Marco sites and small cells like Verizon is doing

I think you're underestimating how far the mini macros/airspan 4000 cells can reach. They can run at full power without interference since Sprint is running them with different EARFCNs from existing macros and they both max out at 2x20W as per http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7462-band-41-mini-macro-nokia-networks/ and http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7561-band-41-small-cells-airspan/ which isn't far from is basically the same as macro radio power output. Sprint will be using these alongside lower power pico cells which you may be thinking of. So the higher power small cells can definitely be used for coverage.

But I agree - Sprint can't solve all of its problems with small cells. Their macro grid in my city isn't really dense enough.

• Like 4

I think you're underestimating how far the mini macros/airspan cells can reach. They can run at full power without interference since Sprint is running them with different EARFCNs from existing macros and they both max out at 2x20W as per http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7462-band-41-mini-macro-nokia-networks/ and http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7561-band-41-small-cells-airspan/ which isn't far from macro radio power output. Sprint will be using these alongside lower power pico cells which you may be thinking of. So the higher power small cells can definitely be used for coverage.

But I agree - Sprint can't solve all of its problems with small cells. Their macro grid in my city isn't really dense enough.

Yes, i did read up on that , but the purpose of the small cells are for capacity. Verizon is adding them every half of mile. Which I think sprint will take that same approach. so, I don't think you can fully turn the power on, cause it will cause all kinds of overlapping. It will help fill in some LTE gaps, but coverage will tough since it's 2.5 LTE only

Yes, i did read up on that , but the purpose of the small cells are for capacity. Verizon is adding them every half of mile. Which I think sprint will take that same approach. so, I don't think you can fully turn the power on, cause it will cause all kinds of overlapping. It will help fill in some LTE gaps, but coverage will tough since it's 2.5 LTE only

No.

Small cells are for coverage and capacity. 

Mini-Macros  are part of the trend of miniaturizing the modern RAN equipment.

Mini Macros run with the same exact power Tx capability as the macro radios (hence mini-macro -- footprint of a micro site, capability of a macro site).

So you run a mini macro where you need that extra oomph of coverage but don't have the justification of adding new a brand new macro site site that may cost well into the six digits a piece. 

Pico sites are used when you need capacity and coverage but within a smaller radius like in RF shadows behind hills, buildings, or other man made / natural made obstacles (arenas, shopping malls, airports, etc). 

Verizon deploys their LTE small cells of numerous types (oDas / distributed macros / picos / "mini macros", etc) for both coverage and capacity. 

If coverage with 2.5 mini macros is an issue, I'm sure that B26 mini macro Nokia has can do a thing or two about it. 

• Like 8

No.

Mini-Macros are part of the trend of miniaturizing the modern RAN equipment.

Mini Macros run with the same exact power Tx capability as the macro radios (hence mini-macro -- footprint of a micro site, capability of a macro site).

So you run a mini macro where you need that extra oomph of coverage but don't have the justification of adding new a brand new macro site site that may cost well into the six digits a piece.

Pico sites are used when you need capacity and coverage but within a smaller radius like in RF shadows behind hills, buildings, or other man made / natural made obstacles (arenas, shopping malls, airports, etc).

Verizon deploys their LTE small cells of numerous types (oDas / distributed macros / picos / "mini macros", etc) for both coverage and capacity.

If coverage with 2.5 mini macros is an issue, I'm sure that B26 mini macro Nokia has can do a thing or two about it.

But wouldn't small cell be to close if deployed every half of miles. Would it overlap

No.

Mini-Macros are part of the trend of miniaturizing the modern RAN equipment.

df96ee3e56da56e9a294452c1b7b0130.jpg for example there are very close to each other in would think it would over lap if used for coverage

for example there are very close to each other in would think it would over lap if used for coverage

But wouldn't small cell be to close if deployed every half of miles. Would it overlap

Not if you do proper RF engineering (black magiks).

You can have them (RF nodes) every 50 feet if you wanted too like all the DAS nodes antennas in major stadiums or buildings. 

Hell in NYC, T-mobile has macro sites almost every one or two blocks and they do just fine. Not to mention Tx can be fine tuned and small cells are self organizing and optimizing. They will automatically adjust themselves to best fit within the RF environment as part of the LTE-Advance software technologies. 

• Like 6

In NYC, within in a 10 minute walking radius of my job (so about half a mile) I encountered a half dozen or so live small cells. There may even be more there since a few I knew of weren't complete yet. But then again, NYC has a ton of buildings.

• Like 3

df96ee3e56da56e9a294452c1b7b0130.jpg for example there are very close to each other in would think it would over lap if used for coverage

Is this from Sprint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Is this from Sprint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guessing by the color scheme and font it's Crown Castle. And it mentions multiple clients. But I can't find that image on their site.

What kind questions are we going ask gunther on next ama on reddit. Mind will be do yo have money for theses dam gmos sites for lte.

Which phones will be the first to offer High Power LTE UE for Band 41 and when should we expect them? What kind of performance improvement should we expect from these new handsets?

Does Sprint ever plan on supporting international LTE roaming?

When do they plan on rolling out VoLTE? Will they try to inplement a form of VoLTE to 1x SRVCC to deal with dropped calls or will they just implement VoLTE independent of 1x?

What are Germany's chances of winning the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

• Like 5

Which phones will be the first to offer High Power LTE UE for Band 41 and when should we expect them? What kind of performance improvement should we expect from these new handsets?

Does Sprint ever plan on supporting international LTE roaming?

When do they plan on rolling out VoLTE? Will they try to inplement a form of VoLTE to 1x SRVCC to deal with dropped calls or will they just implement VoLTE independent of 1x?

What are Germany's chances of winning the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

Lol at the last question.

I think all flagship devices will be HP LTE UE capable next year. I wonder when Sprint will deploy 4xCA?

• Like 1

Lol at the last question.

I think all flagship devices will be HP LTE UE capable next year. I wonder when Sprint will deploy 4xCA?

I hope that do. However they don't have 3xca running yet so let's worry about that first. 4xca will require a 4th carrier rollout. I think Sprint main focus is on small cells which is more important. There is also plans for B25 CA as well as B41 upload CA.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Son's meet with Trump pledging $50 billion and 10k jobs was Son discussing approval for Sprint+TMobile.  Son buys at least 51% of TMobile for $50 billion and promises to create 10k jobs. 

Unless Son is planning on doing other various acquisitions (AMD maybe) that warrants a meet with the president-elect. 

It'll be a vary interesting merger indeed. 

• Like 3

Günther is teasing a big announcement for tomorrow, December 13 at 3 PM ET.

https://www.facebook.com/sprintcoo/photos/a.1036648619762052.1073741828.1036609926432588/1179030752190504/?type=3&theater

I hope it's actually a major announcement this time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 10

I hope it's actually a major announcement this time.

Yeah like expansion to atleast att coverage. Sprint needs that.

• Like 6

Yeah like expansion to atleast att coverage. Sprint needs that.

At every conference they say every carrier has 300 million pops and they say coverge is not the issue but capacity and speed are the focus.