Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So how it sounds Sprint will have some steroid taking mutant network next year? So with all these network announcements this is a clear sign of increased spending on the network next year. I'm excited to the progress by the summer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So how it sounds Sprint will have some steroid taking mutant network next year? So with all these network announcements this is a clear sign of increased spending on the network next year. I'm excited to the progress by the summer!!

Yeah 2017 is shaping up to be that year. Just hopefully they execute. Brong on the densification!!!

• Like 2

Yeah 2017 is shaping up to be that year. Just hopefully they execute. Brong on the densification!!!

Right and that's the biggest. Numerous network projects in one year. Let's see how this pans out.

• Like 3

Yeah 2017 is shaping up to be that year. Just hopefully they execute. Bring on the densification!!!

Didn't they same the same thing last year regarding densification? Maybe I'm wrong but I sure as hell haven't seen a new site here in my parts of New Jersey in years. Since it costs money I'm not holding my breathe.

• Like 3

Didn't they same the same thing last year regarding densification? Maybe I'm wrong but I sure as hell haven't seen a new site here in my parts of New Jersey in years. Since it costs money I'm not holding my breathe.

NJ isn't good in a lot of areas for sprint...I have them but I know they will improve it will take time

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-690Y using Tapatalk

They weren't nearly as specific last time. This time they've named vendors and technologies. Plus we know that (assuming nothing terrible happens) they'll have a decent amount of cash this coming year.

• Like 2

They do give comparable coverage, but this change will make the footprint even closer to that of PCS. And of course 8T8R antennas are still being installed. Installation rates dropped for a while, but we are seeing more deployment now, especially in cities that either didn't see any or had a limited B41 rollout initially.

Why did the installation rates drop?

What was the change in focus?

Time on data will be less so I'm sure it balances itself out.

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20161213/carriers/sprint-lte-coverage-set-for-device-jolt-touts-nyc-small-cell-gains-tag2

"Sprint CTO John Saw noted that despite the increased transmitting power from within the device, there was virtually no impact on battery performance."

• Like 3

Why did the installation rates drop?

What was the change in focus?

Money will be very important going forward. Just to make modifications to a tower site such as adding band 41, band 26 cost a lot of money a lot and it raises the rent as well. Im all for sprint getting better I like the underdog to win, but it will be tough for sprint to get this going any faster than it is now. There will still be markets that have higher priority then others.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Money will be very important going forward. Just to make modifications to a tower site such as adding band 41, band 26 cost a lot of money a lot and it raises the rent as well. Im all for sprint getting better I like the underdog to win, but it will be tough for sprint to get this going any faster than it is now. There will still be markets that have higher priority then others.

In your area, adding Band 26 won't cost much other than increasing backhaul for the tower since the site is already capable, just waiting for the spectrum to be clear.

Sent from my LG G5

In your area, adding Band 26 won't cost much other than increasing backhaul for the tower since the site is already capable, just waiting for the spectrum to be clear.

Sent from my LG G5

So, what is holding Mexico from clearing it.

Bingo. AFAIK debt was due. But they're (supposedly) past that.

Good point. Per the Sprint Financials Page (http://investors.sprint.com/financials/default.aspx), It seems like paying off the Clearwire 14.75% First-priority senior secured notes due 2016 (Maturing 12/1/2016) was a priority.

That's very expensive money.

• Like 2

So, what is holding Mexico from clearing it.

I'm sure it's like anything else: Mexican companies and the Mexican government pushing back against the cost of compliance and bureaucracy. One way or another, it always comes back to money it seems.

FW had an article about this a while back: Sprint's 800 MHz LTE plans get boost after senators urge State Dept. to pressure Mexico on rebanding

At some point, it's about how much political capital you have and how far you're willing to go on it as a US National Policy. Here we are ~18 months after this article was published....

Sent from my LG G5

So, then my market is behind 3 phase's. Band 41 which is coming next year. I don't think el paso has any clearwire equipment..so, I hope we launch with 3xca and 8T8r antennas. 2nd phase would be to clear band 26 and roll it out and phase 3 would be small cell deployment.

I'm sure it's like anything else: Mexican companies and the Mexican government pushing back against the cost of compliance and bureaucracy. One way or another, it always comes back to money it seems.

FW had an article about this a while back: Sprint's 800 MHz LTE plans get boost after senators urge State Dept. to pressure Mexico on rebanding

At some point, it's about how much political capital you have and how far you're willing to go on it as a US National Policy.

At the end it's all about money

At the end it's all about money

Yeah. But it's also about playing hardball or not. If 800 MHz was made a "National Priority" rising to the level of a presidential phone call, it would get done pronto.

Same for other projects that are slow going... Take this one for example in DC/MD/VA: Underground cell service comes to 1.1-mile stretch of Metro tunnel system; only 49.4 miles to go

Here's a PowerPoint that WMATA (the Transit agency) released a couple months ago:

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/101316_3BRadioandCellularInfrastructureReplacementUpdate.pdf

First areas to have cellular availability:

- Potomac Avenue to Stadium Armory by end of year

- Glenmont to Silver Spring by Spring of 2017

See how the schedule shows the project running pretty far into 2020?

The Economist actually uses the Big Mac as an economic indicator for measuring Purchase Power Parity, and calls it the "Big Mac Index". This provides a test of the extent to which market exchange rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.

Given the 800 MHz delays that Sprint has experienced and the DC Metro's sluggish pace on wireless deployment (a process that originally started in 2009 and was halted when the vendor, PowerWave, went bankrupt), I've coined a new term: "The Empire State Building Index", with this in mind:

The Empire State Building was completed on April 11, 1931, 12 days ahead of schedule, and just 410 days after construction commenced.

More than 7 Million Man Hours were put into the construction.

And this monumental feat was accomplished in the 1930's, with 1930's construction technology.

It's almost 2017, and we're supposed to believe it's going to take almost 4 years to run some cable through tunnels and place antennas over a linear track distance of 50 miles for cellular coverage? I don't buy it. Not for a second. Not to mention the fact that lacking wireless coverage throughout the underground transit system for the Nation's Capital is a matter of public safety and national security, it's an abject display of incompetence and bureaucracy that the project is scheduled to take 4 years for this amount of work. Who are we kidding here, seriously?

I also find this to be a corollary for what's going on with the 800 MHz rebanding and Mexico. If the State Department really wanted this done, it would be done. If the President really wanted it done, it would be done. It just doesn't rise to that level I guess.

• Like 2

Yeah. But it's also about playing hardball or not. If 800 MHz was made a "National Priority" rising to the level of a presidential phone call, it would get done pronto.

Same for other projects that are slow going... Take this one for example in DC/MD/VA: Underground cell service comes to 1.1-mile stretch of Metro tunnel system; only 49.4 miles to go

Here's a PowerPoint that WMATA (the Transit agency) released a couple months ago:

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/101316_3BRadioandCellularInfrastructureReplacementUpdate.pdf

First areas to have cellular availability:

- Potomac Avenue to Stadium Armory by end of year

- Glenmont to Silver Spring by Spring of 2017

See how the schedule shows the project running pretty far into 2020?

The Economist actually uses the Big Mac as an economic indicator for measuring Purchase Power Parity, and calls it the "Big Mac Index". This provides a test of the extent to which market exchange rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.

Given the 800 MHz delays that Sprint has experienced and the DC Metro's sluggish pace on wireless deployment (a process that originally started in 2009 and was halted when the vendor went bankrupt), I've coined a new term: "The Empire State Building Index", with this in mind:

The Empire State Building was completed on April 11, 1931, 12 days ahead of schedule, and just 410 days after construction commenced.

More than 7 Million Man Hours were put into the construction.

And this monumental feat was accomplished in the 1930's, with 1930's construction technology.

It's almost 2017, and we're supposed to believe it's going to take almost 4 more years to run some cable through tunnels and place antennas over a linear track distance of 50 miles for cellular coverage? I don't buy it. Not for a second. Not to mention the fact that lacking wireless coverage throughout the underground transit system for the Nation's Capital is a matter of public safety and national security, it's an abject display of incompetence that the project is scheduled to take 4 years. Who are we kidding here, seriously?

I find this to be a corollary for what's going on with the 800 MHz rebanding and Mexico. If the State Department really wanted this done, it would be done. If the President really wanted it done, it would be done. It just doesn't rise to that level I guess.

On this stretch doesn't any other carrier have LTE service ? This is what I have on 800mhz in el paso. Supposedly a guy named William m Holland is holding it and doesn't want to give it up and he can't seem to reach terms with sprint. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-15-488A1.pdf

On this stretch doesn't any other carrier have LTE service ? This is what I have on 800mhz in el paso. Supposedly a guy named William m Holland is holding it and doesn't want to give it up and he can't seem to reach terms with sprint. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-15-488A1.pdf

In 1993, Metro entered into an agreement with Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) to install wireless communications in Metro`s underground stations and tunnels. This wireless network, currently owned and maintained by Verizon, only supports Verizon cell phones. Sprint phones must roam onto this network for access. TMobile and AT&T phones have no current access. In addition, the existing wireless infrastructure is old and does not have the technical sophistication to even provide Verizon`s own broadband data service offerings.

So that's interesting. Here's the most recent of Sprint’s Status Reports on 800 MHz Band Reconfiguration (December 1, 2016) Perhaps he's one of the people show on the map, unless it's already been adjudicated.

It's even gotten to the point where Sprint asked for a waiver to permit 800 MHz operation in AZ. (November 3, 2016)

According to a footnote in the filing: "Over the past few years, Sprint has been granted waivers in Florida, Northern California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas – El Paso, Texas – San Antonio and Washington before 800 MHz band reconfiguration was complete in those Regions."

In 1993, Metro entered into an agreement with Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) to install wireless communications in Metro`s underground stations and tunnels. This wireless network, currently owned and maintained by Verizon, only supports Verizon cell phones. Sprint phones must roam onto this network for access. TMobile and AT&T phones have no current access. In addition, the existing wireless infrastructure is old and does not have the technical sophistication to even provide Verizon`s own broadband data service offerings.

So that's interesting. Here's the most recent of Sprint’s Status Reports on 800 MHz Band Reconfiguration (December 1, 2016) Perhaps he's one of the people show on the map, unless it's already been adjudicated.

It's even gotten to the point where Sprint asked for a waiver to permit 800 MHz operation in AZ. (November 3, 2016)

According to a footnote in the filing: "Over the past few years, Sprint has been granted waivers in Florida, Northern California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas – El Paso, Texas – San Antonio and Washington before 800 MHz band reconfiguration was complete in those Regions."

So, the rebranding is complete.. it now just has to be cleared ?

So, the rebranding is complete.. it now just has to be cleared ?

According to the filing:

"Band reconfiguration continues to make significant progress across the United States. All 800 MHz public safety and non-public safety licensees required to be retuned in a total of forty-three NPSPAC Regions and the U.S. Territories have fully completed 800 MHz band reconfiguration efforts."

"Currently only 12 Regions of the 55 NPSPAC Regions remain incomplete. Excluding the five Regions located within in the U.S. – Mexican Border Area , only two individual licensees (one public safety and one non-public safety) remain to fully complete 800 MHz band reconfiguration in the seven non-border NPSPAC areas of the United States."

.-.-.-.-.-

"Sprint appreciates the continuing opportunity to update the Commission on the substantial progress being made in 800 MHz band reconfiguration. We remain available to discuss this Report at the Bureau’s convenience. Sprint remains committed to completing this important initiative; however, as the information contained herein demonstrates, Sprint cannot complete 800 MHz band reconfiguration until all affected incumbent licensees complete their individual retuning activities."

• Like 1

Anyone willing to help a fellow member out and his family...

Thanks

Help a family in need for the Holidays

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Es4gru%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F7630-Help-a--family-in-need-for-the-Holidays&share_tid=7630&share_fid=38410&share_type=t

Do we know the status of the waiver for AZ?