Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I am dropped on Tmo VoLTE all the time. We have a lot of B12 LTE/EDGE sites in my area with no WCDMA. Even with B12, there are tons of places where we get EDGE but no LTE. My area on Tmo is very similar to what VoLTE would be like on Sprint (in a good market). Because B12 VoLTE does not successfully hand off to EDGE here. Painful.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

PCS EDGE outdoes LTE700 on range?

• Like 1

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-our-dedicated-spectrum-for-small-cells-key

That's pretty awesome. Now bring on the small cells lol. I swear if we all played a drinking game based on the amount of times they said:

Small cells

Our spectrum....

2.5 gives us advantage

In coming weeks

We all would be dead by now lol

• Like 4

I am dropped on Tmo VoLTE all the time. We have a lot of B12 LTE/EDGE sites in my area with no WCDMA. Even with B12, there are tons of places where we get EDGE but no LTE. My area on Tmo is very similar to what VoLTE would be like on Sprint (in a good market). Because B12 VoLTE does not successfully hand off to EDGE here. Painful.

Pretty sure T-Mobiles VoLTE falls back on to HSPA+ and/ or wifi calling.

Er, people reference EDGE and HSPA+ inappropriately way too often.  GSM and W-CDMA, those are the voice carriers.  EDGE and HSPA+ are just packet data enhancements, not meant for voice.  e/SRVCC does not hand down from VoLTE to EDGE or HSPA+.  No, it hands down to GSM or W-CDMA.

AJ

LTE is as fragile as a baby's cranium.

AJ

• Like 1

I've used VOLTE on my Vzw work phone. It has dropped calls at work sometimes. Vzw loses LTE sometimes where I work.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I hae no idea where you work, but I would bet that CDMA 1X works there.

I hae no idea where you work, but I would bet that CDMA 1X works there.

It does. VOLTE just doesn't fall back. Sprint is on the roof of the building where I work.

It does. VOLTE just doesn't fall back. Sprint is on the roof of the building where I work.

When you have  a near perfect CDMA 1X voice network, it does not make sense to start causing issues with voice when you move to VOLTE.  I hope Sprint holds onto CDMA 1x as long as they can. No big rush to switch to VOLTE. I am going to stay with CDMA 1X until there is no phone made that can handle it.

• Like 3

When you have a near perfect CDMA 1X voice network, it does not make sense to start causing issues with voice when you move to VOLTE. I hope Sprint holds onto CDMA 1x as long as they can. No big rush to switch to VOLTE. I am going to stay with CDMA 1X until there is no phone made that can handle it.

Sprint needs VOLTE to get everyone off their back from being the only one that doesn't have so that talk and surf can happen.

• Like 1

Sprint needs VoLTE to get a small, vocal minority on the Internet off Sprint's back for being the only one of the four major operators not to support first party simultaneous voice and data some of the time.

I fixed your quote for you.

AJ

• Like 10

Sprint needs VOLTE to get everyone off their back from being the only one that doesn't have so that talk and surf can happen.

Also for improved call quality. I've had robo gargle with my last 3 devices. They did traces on how my calls were routed internally and supposedly fixed it, but it's only OK about 50% of the time. The other 50% calls are awful. I can't understand anything the other person is saying, and it continuously cuts out.

It seems somehow my calls sometimes randomly get routed to mountain view (ie Google) even though I don't have Google voice integration nor have I ever. Or they said they were sometimes being routed through the wifi calling IMS core, despite me not having wifi calling on my account (nor have I ever had a wifi calling capable device). Basically they never could actually completely fix the issue.

I've resorted to just using Hangouts for calls now. The improvement in call quality is staggering. It's crystal clear. So I'm hoping VoLTE will bring similar call quality to Sprint. I assume part of the issue is I'm in denser populated areas, so CDMA call quality is reduced to handle more users, especially since they're down to only a single 1x800 and 1x1900 carrier. VoLTE will alleviate that issue.

Sent from my Pixel XL

First party?

Simultaneous voice and data works great through third party apps. As atrocious as Snapchat is as an app coded by a financially successful corporate entity (it consistently crashes on anything with less than a Snapdragon 810 with 4GB of RAM when you go to take a photo or try to use the UI as intended), it works well for me as a high (voice) quality VOIP solution that just about all of my peers use. And I can browse the web while in call.

SVLTE works great through third party apps.

SVLTE is specifically CDMA1X voice or W-CDMA voice simultaneous with LTE data.

AJ

• Like 2

SVLTE is specifically CDMA1X voice or W-CDMA voice simultaneous with LTE data.

AJ

Oops. I assumed it was a generic term that was just usually used to reference that specific tech. Fixed.

Simultaneous voice and data works great through third party apps. As atrocious as Snapchat is as an app coded by a financially successful corporate entity (it consistently crashes on anything with less than a Snapdragon 810 with 4GB of RAM when you go to take a photo or try to use the UI as intended), it works well for me as a high (voice) quality VOIP solution that just about all of my peers use. And I can browse the web while in call.

I use hangouts from time to time but when people call me it goes through the normal dialect system through my iPhone, also when I call out it shows my number as all 0's or unknown.

I use hangouts from time to time but when people call me it goes through the normal dialect system through my iPhone, also when I call out it shows my number as all 0's or unknown.

All things being equal, they're about the same. However, there are many places in the South Sound/Kitsap & Olympic Peninsulas where weak EDGE works from the same tower where weak B12 LTE will not.

Additionally, Tmo has skipped some of their site upgrades to LTE leaving EDGE only (GSM only, for AJ) where there is weak B12 overlay at the site from other sites. It leaves the coverage map looking complete, but a very weak VoLTE experience in those areas.

I don't want to make it out as plain awful. It's not. But if there was a consistent HD GSM layer underneath and was seamless, that would be better in my area than what we have. And for many on Sprint, that is what they have with HD calling in CDMA on 800. We tend to take voice for granted, until it's not there. Then you'll notice what a reduction in voice coverage does. No bueno.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All things being equal, they're about the same. However, there are many places in the South Sound/Kitsap & Olympic Peninsulas where weak EDGE works from the same tower where weak B12 LTE will not.

Additionally, Tmo has skipped some of their site upgrades to LTE leaving EDGE only (GSM only, for AJ) where there is weak B12 overlay at the site from other sites. It leaves the coverage map looking complete, but a very weak VoLTE experience in those areas.

I don't want to make it out as plain awful. It's not. But if there was a consistent HD GSM layer underneath and was seamless, that would be better in my area than what we have. And for many on Sprint, that is what they have with HD calling in CDMA on 800. We tend to take voice for granted, until it's not there. Then you'll notice what a reduction in voice coverage does. No bueno.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ah I see. T-Mobile has done similar things in the northern sound in Port Angels and such - LTE700 on most but not all sites, no WCDMA/HSPA and EDGE on all sites. In my very limited experience in these areas, I haven't seen EDGE from sites that have LTE700 unless I disable LTE...does that line up with your observations?

Something I was not aware off is that Sprint small cells use dedicated spectrum. They don't share the same channels as the macro sites, thereby avoiding interference.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-our-dedicated-spectrum-for-small-cells-key

• Like 3

I was wondering if they were going to deploy the small cells with WiMAX-ish frequency re-use. Cool stuff. Should allow for some pretty insane power output on standalone small cells (like Mobilitie units far away from others).

Edit: so this means that small cells will be using the same frequencies as carriers 4-6 on ultra-high-capacity 8T8R macros, right? So as long as no such monster macros are nearby they can use the otherwise unused channels? That's how I interpreted it.

• Like 2

In really optimistic about the network in 2017. Hopefully this will be the year that people will take notice that they are all the other 3 carriers ass.

Does anyone know the total length of projected time it's going to take to deploy out their small cells across the US? I wonder how many permits have been approved and because we are coming up on the winter months I wonder how this will possibly slow down deploying the cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In really optimistic about the network in 2017. Hopefully this will be the year that people will take notice that they are all the other 3 carriers ass.

Does anyone know the total length of projected time it's going to take to deploy out their small cells? I wonder how many permits have been approved and because we are coming up on the winter months I wonder how this will possibly slow down deploying the cells.

No idea but based on the info I've read once the permit gets approved it should take that long since they are not running fiber to the pole but A.J, Tim, and Robert are the experts

• Like 1

I fixed your quote for you.

AJ

Either you or Tangent are stating opinion over fact. Which one of you is it? I left Sprint for many reasons, and one of those was the inability of using voice and data at the same time. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a factor I considered. I'm sure it is something people also consider when they look at Sprint.

Does anyone know the total length of projected time it's going to take to deploy out their small cells across the US? I wonder how many permits have been approved and because we are coming up on the winter months I wonder how this will possibly slow down deploying the cells.

Hi derrph,

Mobilitie has signed several contracts with municipalities across the south, south-east so far. I have found 5 or so here in South Carolina over the last month. The next town up just finalized the deal and they can break ground soon. Crown castle has a few band 25 clusters here as well. Also, while debugging a site for @sprintcare to have men repair by my work they mentioned that site was due for an upgrade on 12/31(!) We have not seen work since band 26 cards were installed a couple years ago now. Now again, I know this is @sprintcare but if genuine, it is exciting news to me.

I viewed the WiMAX gear rolling away 11/1, been waiting for that band 41 ever since. I am also optimistic. Seems they have a good start in my area; work seems to get moving quickly once tape is cut.

• Like 2

I was wondering if they were going to deploy the small cells with WiMAX-ish frequency re-use. Cool stuff. Should allow for some pretty insane power output on standalone small cells (like Mobilitie units far away from others).

Edit: so this means that small cells will be using the same frequencies as carriers 4-6 on ultra-high-capacity 8T8R macros, right? So as long as no such monster macros are nearby they can use the otherwise unused channels? That's how I interpreted it.

Pretty much. That's what we observed on the relay small cells in Akron, Ohio. They were using a different earfcn from the nearby macros (40072 in this case).

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 4