Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I really didn't understand why so many AT&T users clung to their unlimited (5GB) data plans. My friend finally switched to the mobile share plan and has more than double usable mobile data available on the newer family share plan for the same price he was paying for his two lines. They should have changed the name of the plan years ago when they added the throttling for data over the cap.

This quote from the article is interesting:

The company also had reserved the right to prioritize data traffic depending on a subscriber’s plan. It had never done so, but has now decided the policy isn’t needed.

That basically confirms our suspicions that Sprint wasn't actually throttling anyone. And hopefully it'll shut the trolls up for good.

• Like 12

I think a better idea is if someone is truly abusing data, Sprint just drops them as a customer. Some GB amounts I have seen by some users are insane.. Hundreds of GB.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

WSJ article states that Sprint has changed its Throttling policy:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-early-net-neutrality-win-rules-prompt-sprint-to-stop-throttling-1434595276

I'm going to see if I can view the article after resetting the IP address on this device, as the site isn't allowing me to view it. WSJ subscription notice again.

Anyways, I forget if this has been posted here yet or not, my pain medication is very strong tonight, it seems, causing my mind to be a bit confused. Plus, with all these merger and acquisition speculation, I'm beginning to forget which of the carrier combination is currently being discussed, especially odd as I'm pretty much the main person bringing this issue up here. ????

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/06/16/is-a-comcast-sprint-deal-next/

Anyways, hopefully for the sake of Sprint and Sprint's customers this doesn't happen. I don't want this to happen to Sprint just as much as I don't want it to happen to T-Mobile.

• Like 1

I'm going to see if I can view the article after resetting the IP address on this device, as the site isn't allowing me to view it. WSJ subscription notice again.

Anyways, I forget if this has been posted here yet or not, my pain medication is very strong tonight, it seems, causing my mind to be a bit confused. Plus, with all these merger and acquisition speculation, I'm beginning to forget which of the carrier combination is currently being discussed, especially odd as I'm pretty much the main person bringing this issue up here. ????

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/06/16/is-a-comcast-sprint-deal-next/

Anyways, hopefully for the sake of Sprint and Sprint's customers this doesn't happen. I don't want this to happen to Sprint just as much as I don't want it to happen to T-Mobile.

Just copy the link into Google search and click the first search result. I don't know why but that works for all those paywall WSJ articles.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think a better idea is if someone is truly abusing data, Sprint just drops them as a customer. Some GB amounts I have seen by some users are insane.. Hundreds of GB.

See Arysyn's data usage poll here at S4GRU:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6992-s4gru-members-average-monthly-data-usage-with-poll/?mode=show

The results show that the lower two thirds are consuming just one fourth of total data usage.  The upper one third is the problem, consuming three fourths of total data usage.  The upper one third consists of the significantly above average users and outright abusers.

They should be put on appropriately priced tiered data, on exceedingly expensive "unlimited" data, or yes, out on the street.  Where else are they gonna go?  They may find themselves with no options and have to alter their behaviors.

AJ

• Like 2

Just copy the link into Google search and click the first search result. I don't know why but that works for all those paywall WSJ articles.

Excellent!!!

Thank you, it works! Sprint has been very good about the Net Neutrality issue, so I'm not surprised they did this, though it is to be commended of them for following through with this and quickly so, rather than unlike some of the ridiculous behavior of AT&T and Verizon about these Net Neutrality policies.

• Like 1

Excellent!!!

Thank you, it works! Sprint has been very good about the Net Neutrality issue, so I'm not surprised they did this, though it is to be commended of them for following through with this and quickly so, rather than unlike some of the ridiculous behavior of AT&T and Verizon about these Net Neutrality policies.

Considering Sprint was the only T1 carrier that came out and backed net neutrality from the start I'm not surprised they changed the policy even though it probably would have been fine. It was interesting that they had never actually throttled anyone though.

• Like 1

See Arysyn's data usage poll here at S4GRU:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6992-s4gru-members-average-monthly-data-usage-with-poll/?mode=show

The results show that the lower two thirds are consuming just one fourth of total data usage. The upper one third is the problem, consuming three fourths of total data usage. The upper one third consists of the significantly above average users and outright abusers.

They should be put on appropriately priced tiered data, on exceedingly expensive "unlimited" data, or yes, out on the street. Where else are they gonna go? They may find themselves with no options and have to alter their behaviors.

AJ

AJ, what do you think would be a reasonable rate for unlimited data?

Lately, I've been thinking less of some of my grandeur pricing plans of the futuristic ideas, and trying to be more on par with the range of rates at a more realistic decrease to around $5-$7 per gb, rather than my earlier suggestions of $2-$3 per gb.

Looking at Verizon's current two promotional rate plans, I'm thinking how the next rate decrease to them perhaps later this year around the holidays, might be $70 for 10gb, $90 for 15gb, then either $100 or $120 for 20gb. I mention this, because if other carriers priced at rates, going by them I'm thinking at the low end, unlimited data at $120 per month, though possibly upwards to $150 per month.

KC report is out!

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/kansas-city-mo/2015-1H

Notably, this marks the first time since August 2011 that Sprint has won or shared the Overall RootScore Award in Kansas City.

Since our testing in October, Sprint’s median download speed increased from 9.5 Mbps to 15.4 Mbps.

The accompanying press kit

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/kansas-city-proud-network-press-kit.htm

• Like 14

That's probably Sprint's best report yet. I realize some might be technically in smaller markets, but it goes without saying that KC is important for Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have issues with unlimited as long as it involves clear throttles. The AT&T "unlimited" really doesn't have that. It's different than T-Mobile selling a 3GB bucket of data and throttling to 128 Kbps after that, IMO. I have no issues with network prioritization, though. Make the prioritization point at 95% of all users over a quarter and say "the 95% point is 18 GB" and make it clear.

Pure unlimited without prioritization over 25 GB is a pure fantasy, however. That number might work north as more people use more data, but there has to be a point where people are directed away from the buffet and it becomes closing time. "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

To hit an average download speed of 15.4Mbps, that is quite impressive. Especially when it is a 62% increase in speed since last October! Good job Sprint! For those that didn't read...T-Mobile dropped in avg speed to 12Mbps!

• Like 5

Comcast biggest problem (and most cable companies for this matter) is that they aren't consumer friendly. Their equipment rental lineup is mostly limited and expensive. That would be fine for most services, but unfortunately Comcast will NOT allow its customers to buy their own equipment. So I'm stuck with either their crap 1990s blue user interface or....oh wait, there is no "or", I'm stuck with it...PERIOD! There are no alternatives to their buggy cable boxes that periodically freeze or go out.

If Comcast takes over T-Mobile, I fear the industry will regress in the sense that BYOD will die before it even got the chance to take off.

Although I agree with most of what you wrote, part of it is completely wrong.

My family subscribes to Comcast.  There is no way on Earth I would pay for the crap (IMO) hardware they charge too much for.

We have a TiVo/TiVo Mini setup throughout the house that currently pays for itself each month.

You most certainly CAN purchase your own gear while subscribing to Comcast.

• Like 1

There is no way 44 percent of Att customers are on the unlimited plan. It hasn't been offered for five years even at 1 percent churn the customer base has seen a massive turn over. The real niumber is closer to 5 percent.

Almost all of the people I know who have stuck it out on ATT are still on legacy unlimited plans. Although a few went to family plans when they added phones for their kids.

I did not know that AT&T allowed "unlimited" data subs to make AT&T their "bitch."  That is surprising, especially considering it is AT&T.

I guess VZW knows how to do it, and AT&T does not.  Oh well, that is AT&T's problem.

AJ

I would guess it has a lot to do with pressure from TMO.

Former ATT customers can mostly easily have taken their ATT phone and directly used with TMO. ATT (probably) decided it was better to keep these users on att/unlimited than let them churn and take their att phone to TMO.

VZW obviously has had mostly incompatible phones with TMO, and generally they didn't work with sprint either, so there was no extra pressure to retain unlimited customers because anyone churning would have had to pay out and buy all new phones, making it more difficult for the customers to churn.

Plus, you know they had/have the so-called 'best network' and historically have not chased the bottom customers.

• Like 3

Almost all of the people I know who have stuck it out on ATT are still on legacy unlimited plans. Although a few went to family plans when they added phones for their kids.

I would guess it has a lot to do with pressure from TMO.

Former ATT customers can mostly easily have taken their ATT phone and directly used with TMO. ATT (probably) decided it was better to keep these users on att/unlimited than let them churn and take their att phone to TMO.

VZW obviously has had mostly incompatible phones with TMO, and generally they didn't work with sprint either, so there was no extra pressure to retain unlimited customers because anyone churning would have had to pay out and buy all new phones, making it more difficult for the customers to churn.

Plus, you know they had/have the so-called 'best network' and historically have not chased the bottom customers.

Well I am glade that Every one you know .....ect. But that isn't proof of anything. The number is closer to 5 percent than to 44. 44 is mathematically impossible given no new subs have unlimited after August of 2010 even assuming a an absurdly low churn rate of less than 1 percent for the entire 5 year period.

That is not even counting he people that have made the switch to Mobile share value from unlimited. Another data point that makes this number absurd is the up take on next which is running around 70 percent.

I really didn't understand why so many AT&T users clung to their unlimited (5GB) data plans. My friend finally switched to the mobile share plan and has more than double usable mobile data available on the newer family share plan for the same price he was paying for his two lines. They should have changed the name of the plan years ago when they added the throttling for data over the cap.

If they got by with just 5GB, lol. I never had an unlimited data plan with either of the big two. Most unlimited users stay due to idiotic fear or thinking they have an advantage they probably don't have (being most use 5-10GB tops).

I see a ton of this with overpaying Verizon users (otherwise they keep their VZW unlimited plan to do similar T-Mobile e-penis trolling). 

Anyways -- Now, they do this:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/06/att-unlimited-data-plan-throttling/

• Like 1

I corrected a comment below that suggested that Sprint hasn't enabled carrier aggregation because they are ashamed of their network and other carrier phones have it enabled.

I corrected a comment below that suggested that Sprint hasn't enabled carrier aggregation because they are ashamed of their network and other carrier phones have it enabled.

Sprint hasn't enabled carrier aggregation yet, at least I haven't seen any reports. It seems disabled via software on a GS6.

People don't always take well to being corrected on that comment section. That said, it's OK to have some skepticism given the past. At least there's some real results to point to for a change. Now Sprint has to accelerate that and get better.

• Like 1

An *opinion* article full of slightly biased viewpoints and some ambiguous "facts." Yes. A very interesting article. 

:rolleyes:

• Like 6