Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Customer additions are worth spending profits on, customer retention over tethering isn't. People aren't going to leave Sprint because they don't get a tethering allotment. People WILL join Sprint if the price is right.

Legere is double dipping into profits by throwing promotions at people to get them to switch, then throwing MORE profits at them to stay. Meanwhile, Claure only gets them to switch, then keeps them here with a 'soft contract' like a lease or payments. Legere's retention policy has basically been 'throw more money at them', while Claure's has been 'lets keep long term profitability in mind for when we want to stop the promotions'.

I can't see them dipping into profits by adding a little more data to their existing data tethering pool. Most people probably won't use it, just as they won't use international data roaming. Its a nice perk to have, and adds to perceived value which can do a lot to keep subscribers. Sprint is the only one that doesn't offer included tethering on their main single line plan, it would be nice if they added it similar to their fusion business plans.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Customer additions are worth spending profits on, customer retention over tethering isn't. People aren't going to leave Sprint because they don't get a tethering allotment. People WILL join Sprint if the price is right.

I understand what your saying. I just don't agree with it.

Customer additions are often worth their cost, we agree on this.  But customer retention is often also worth it's cost. Especially if it's just tethering, since the actual cost to Sprint for this service is tiny.

Legere is double dipping into profits by throwing promotions at people to get them to switch, then throwing MORE profits at them to stay. Meanwhile, Claure only gets them to switch, then keeps them here with a 'soft contract' like a lease or payments. Legere's retention policy has basically been 'throw more money at them', while Claure's has been 'lets keep long term profitability in mind for when we want to stop the promotions'.

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here around costs.

Legere's throwing pennies at customers to get them to stay. If customers stay just a single month longer because of this move, he's made back 50x or more of his cost for that promo.

It only looks like double dipping. And that's good for his "UnCarrier" marketing. But it's really not, the cost is so low it probably won't effect the quarterly statement in any meaningful way.

• Like 2

Well, nobody will have to worry about a Sprint/TMo merger for a while. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/17/us-tmobile-m-a-comcast-idUSKBN0OX16W20150617

Deutsche Telekom is in talks with U.S. cable company Comcast about a potential sale of T-Mobile US, German Manager Magazin reported on Wednesday, citing sources.

Deutsche Telekom is in talks with several parties, including satellite provider Dish, according to the magazine, but Comcast is viewed as a more attractive buyer by the German telecoms provider's management.

Comcast would be a better candidate as it is financially stronger and would be able to make an offer to buy all shares in T-Mobile US, Manager Magazine reported.

• Like 1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/17/us-tmobile-m-a-comcast-idUSKBN0OX16W20150617

They do that, they just wrecked there entire company image with one word, "comcast".. That SOB company just need to fall off the face of the planet.

• Like 1

That would be very entertaining to watch. Mostly the T-Mobile fan reaction, but the tech media reaction too. Both blindly hate Comcast with such passion it kinda scares me. Hell, they might riot in the streets if Comcast touches their precious little magenta. The whole thing would be very ironic, especially to all of the fans that swore T-Mobile was never gonna sell out.

At this point I just want them to get bought out already. I don't really care who. I think it's in everyone's best interests except maybe the duopoly.

• Like 4

T-Mobile would go from, "Cool"(aid) to Bastard Child....I have a feeling Comcast is hoping to bring the momentum from T-Mobile to them, but I feel it will do the exact opposite, and bastardize T-Mobile more...

I can already see the comments section of blogs with people saying if it happens they are leaving...ummm I doubt they will. At the end of the day DT is looking at the bigger picture and not trying to play fan favorite. John was brought in to play fan favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They do that, they just wrecked there entire company image with one word, "comcast".. That SOB company just need to fall off the face of the planet.

I agree.  

Thus far, all the writing about Comcast wanting to acquire a wireless company has been speculation based on the Direct TV acquisition.  Comcast had and exited a partnership with Sprint years ago and they continue a cross-sale agreement with Verizon, though Verizon has mentioned in one of its "we don't want to buy Dish" conversations that bundling wireless and cable together was not as profitable as speculation grants it.  

With the ownership of NBC/Universal and ownership of so much wired broadband, I'm not sure a Comcast purchase of Tmobile is a homerun with the FCC either.  It needs heavy scrutiny.  Scrutinize backhaul pricing and licensing fees charged to other companies to access NBC/Universal media.  And regulate customer pricing.  Comcast loves to bait its customers with 6 or 12 month pricing and then crank up the rate and pack access and rental fees on like no other.  Anyone complaining about Sprint surcharges needs only to take a gander at a comcast bill.   Will also need to guarantee that Comcast continue to offer wholesale pricing to MVNO's ...  Absolutely nothing this company does is customer centric or focused on anything but profit.   Would be the end of me ever considering Tmobile service.  I can't even access a printed bill history on comcast.com anymore.  I'm on digital billing and that used to mean that the bill was downloadable like a pdf and not mailed... well, comcast revamped the website and did away with that feature.  The bill summary pops up and once you pay it, poof bill summary gone. 

• Like 2

T-Mobile would go from, "Cool"(aid) to Bastard Child....I have a feeling Comcast is hoping to bring the momentum from T-Mobile to them, but I feel it will do the exact opposite, and bastardize T-Mobile more...

One of my favorite pastors once said, "You don't drop a glove in a mud puddle and expect the mud puddle to get glovey." He was talking about how bad company corrupts good character. Apropos.

Comcast plays the part of mud puddle for anyone it comes into contact with.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 10

I searched to see if this was discussed previously, and perhaps I missed it. I apologize if it has.

Has anyone noticed the "video streaming limited to 3g speeds" note on the family share packs? I know I've seen it before in certain areas before, that video streams could be limited...but I don't think I've seen the defacto statement that they will be limited. Anyone experienced it? Are all video streams impacted, or just the big hitters like Netflix, Youtube?

http://sprint.com/landings/datashare/index_c.html#!/  <--see bottom of middle column in the pricing chart.

I searched to see if this was discussed previously, and perhaps I missed it. I apologize if it has.

Has anyone noticed the "video streaming limited to 3g speeds" note on the family share packs? I know I've seen it before in certain areas before, that video streams could be limited...but I don't think I've seen the defacto statement that they will be limited. Anyone experienced it? Are all video streams impacted, or just the big hitters like Netflix, Youtube?

http://sprint.com/landings/datashare/index_c.html#!/ <--see bottom of middle column in the pricing chart.

It's probably during times of congestion just like the prioritization stuff. I've been able to stream 1080p YouTube over LTE without issue.
  • Like 1

Apparently a false rumor, according to ARS Technica :

Edit Note - For some reason, the paste function has stopped working for me at the moment. I have the link to the ARS Technica article on a post I wrote in the T-Mobile thread, if you are interested.

Apparently a false rumor, according to ARS Technica :

Edit Note - For some reason, the paste function has stopped working for me at the moment. I have the link to the ARS Technica article on a post I wrote in the T-Mobile thread, if you are interested.

No, it is not a "false rumor" any more than the response from an anonymous source "familiar with Comcast's thinking" could be a false rumor.  That is a weak source.  For all we know, it could be Charlie Ergen, who probably claims to be familiar with Comcast's thinking.

Arysyn, you personally do not want Comcast to take over T-Mobile, and you are letting that bias color your thinking.

AJ

tumblr_static_its-not-going_2_.jpg

Is that the rumor you heard from the blonde girl who sits behind you in Algebra I?

AJ

• Like 1

No, it is not a "false rumor" any more than the response from an anonymous source "familiar with Comcast's thinking" could be a false rumor. That is a weak source. For all we know, it could be Charlie Ergen, who probably claims to be familiar with Comcast's thinking.

Arysyn, you personally do not want Comcast to take over T-Mobile, and you are letting that bias color your thinking.

AJ

I actually did not mean my mention of "false rumor" based on my opinion, but rather as a meaning to what are basically was claiming by this.

I'm very use to seeing those words used together in both articles and commented regarding various merger stories, that I decided to use it here to describe ARS Technica's report, not thinking that could be construed as my opinion.

Although, I definitely do not want to see Comcast purchase T-Mobile, and I'm refraining from writing any fact-based reports about it, other than to linking articles and giving my opinion based on that.

I freely admit that I'd be an awful journalist, because I'm very opinionated about things.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/17/att-hit-with-100m-fine-for-throttling-unlimited-data/

More details on the fine.

FCC now needs to bring the hammer down on the other carriers for throttling their unlimited users.

Good.  Bring the hammer down, and let us finally get rid of unsustainable "unlimited" data.  Users will have to choose their appropriate data tiers and pay accordingly.

AJ

• Like 2

A little off topic, but we might want to consider renaming this thread something like "The New Claure Era Catch-All Thread". The current title is a little specific. Don't get me wrong, this thread is still relevant and serves an important purpose. But it has long outlived the original title.

• Like 3

Good.  Bring the hammer down, and let us finally get rid of unsustainable "unlimited" data.  Users will have to choose their appropriate data tiers and pay accordingly.

AJ

:goodpost:

A little off topic, but we might want to consider renaming this thread something like "The New Claure Era Catch-All Thread". The current title is a little specific. Don't get me wrong, this thread is still relevant and serves an important purpose. But it has long outlived the original title.

Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

There I fixed it

• Like 3

Good. Bring the hammer down, and let us finally get rid of unsustainable "unlimited" data. Users will have to choose their appropriate data tiers and pay accordingly.

AJ

Personally, I think "unlimited" is what has made Sprint stand out amongst its competitors here in Southeast Texas and south-southwest Louisiana. Although unlimited has to eventually end, it wouldn't be in Sprint's best interest to rush to end it today in the middle of NV.
  • Like 3