Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I have a suggestion.

What about merging this thread with the T-Mobile thread, renaming it "General Discussions of Wireless Business, Carriers, and Technology", or perhaps having a separate section on the site titled that, for all related threads and posts, which would make this section more non-wireless related and making it easier to navigate for the lighter stuff, such as trivia and games.

I have a suggestion.

What about merging this thread with the T-Mobile thread, renaming it "General Discussions of Wireless Business, Carriers, and Technology", or perhaps having a separate section on the site titled that, for all related threads and posts, which would make this section more non-wireless related and making it easier to navigate for the lighter stuff, such as trivia and games.

Bad idea, do you want the trolls to start coming out from under their computer desks? 

• Like 1

T-Mobile would go from, "Cool"(aid) to Bastard Child....I have a feeling Comcast is hoping to bring the momentum from T-Mobile to them, but I feel it will do the exact opposite, and bastardize T-Mobile more...

Comcast biggest problem (and most cable companies for this matter) is that they aren't consumer friendly. Their equipment rental lineup is mostly limited and expensive. That would be fine for most services, but unfortunately Comcast will NOT allow its customers to buy their own equipment. So I'm stuck with either their crap 1990s blue user interface or....oh wait, there is no "or", I'm stuck with it...PERIOD! There are no alternatives to their buggy cable boxes that periodically freeze or go out.

If Comcast takes over T-Mobile, I fear the industry will regress in the sense that BYOD will die before it even got the chance to take off.

• Like 1

A little off topic, but we might want to consider renaming this thread something like "The New Claure Era Catch-All Thread". The current title is a little specific. Don't get me wrong, this thread is still relevant and serves an important purpose. But it has long outlived the original title.

No, not likely.  This thread contains over 5000 posts.  For search engine indexing purposes, the title needs to remain -- it has persisted too long to change now.  I agree that this has become something of an omnibus thread, but that is okay.  And we can live with the title.

So, other moderators, hear me loud and clear.  Do not change the title.

AJ

• Like 5

A little off topic, but we might want to consider renaming this thread something like "The New Claure Era Catch-All Thread". The current title is a little specific. Don't get me wrong, this thread is still relevant and serves an important purpose. But it has long outlived the original title.

How about if people post on-topic,  instead of wandering off into other content (such as  TMo). Then the name would still make sense. 

• Like 7

http://fortune.com/2015/06/17/att-hit-with-100m-fine-for-throttling-unlimited-data/

More details on the fine.

FCC now needs to bring the hammer down on the other carriers for throttling their unlimited users.

No. The FCC is completely wrong. Unlimited data doesn't mean unlimited 4g data. 4G wasn't around when Att stop selling unlimited data. You don't have a right to that plan and whatever condition Att wants to impose is their right, if you don't like the terms exercise your right and do business with another company.

• Like 2

Bad idea, do you want the trolls to start coming out from under their computer desks?

That is a downside, for sure. Although the staff here is pretty good at handling issues like that. I figured it might help for a site addition bringing in more people could also help to bring in more funds.

I'd really like to be able to donate more money myself, but since at least at the moment I can't, thought of an idea that might help with that, along with the expansion of the topics discussed so often about these merger and acquisition stuff having a bit more space and away from the non-related topics.

Absolutely no troll additions though. That I agree would be bad. Then again, Banlandia could always be expanded with a new region called Trollandia.

• Like 1

How about if people post on-topic, instead of wandering off into other content (such as TMo). Then the name would still make sense.

I'm definitely guilty of going off-topic quite often, though I usually have something on-topic that relates to the off -topic content I write.

Sometimes it is difficult to stay completely on topic without venturing off on other topics. However, too much of that certainly isn't good. There has to be a balance, which is why I prefer threads be more generalized, less specific. Just my opinion though, nothing against doing things differently.

No. The FCC is completely wrong. Unlimited data doesn't mean unlimited 4g data. 4G wasn't around when Att stop selling unlimited data. You don't have a right to that plan and whatever condition Att wants to impose is their right, if you don't like the terms exercise your right and do business with another company.

I don't get why AT&T keeps fighting this.  They don't have to keep grandathered unlimited plans.  They should just get rid of them.  And offer a new plan that is XGB, but allows you to go over your GB bucket at a throttled speed.

I know AT&T didn't do that for fear that a good percentage of those customers would churn.  But a lot of that could have been paid for with $100M.  Let 'em churn.

• Like 7

I don't get why AT&T keeps fighting this. They don't have to keep grandathered unlimited plans. They should just get rid of them. And offer a new plan that is XGB, but allows you to go over your GB bucket at a throttled speed.

I know AT&T didn't do that for fear that a good percentage of those customers would churn. But a lot of that could have been paid for with $100M. Let 'em churn.

Robert,

Do you happen to know what percentage, or around what percentage of customers with AT&T and Verizon still have unlimited data?

I'm curious about that, because I'm thinking it must be a lot, otherwise it would make sense for them to eliminate those grandfathered plans and waive etf fees.

I don't get why AT&T keeps fighting this. They don't have to keep grandathered unlimited plans. They should just get rid of them. And offer a new plan that is XGB, but allows you to go over your GB bucket at a throttled speed.

I know AT&T didn't do that for fear that a good percentage of those customers would churn. But a lot of that could have been paid for with $100M. Let 'em churn.

I think AT&T's is afraid of the hit their brand would take. Sprint took a surprising big hit for letting go of 4000 people that called Sprint customer care on average of 8 times a day.

Besides they are general high Arpu customers.

Robert,

Do you happen to know what percentage, or around what percentage of customers with AT&T and Verizon still have unlimited data?

I'm curious about that, because I'm thinking it must be a lot, otherwise it would make sense for them to eliminate those grandfathered plans and waive etf fees.

I have no idea.  I would guess it's now in the single digits.  Since you lost subsidized upgrades to keep unlimited data, most gave up their unlimited plans to get a new device.  Most of the people I know who kept them are upper middle class folks who can easily afford cash price for new devices but who use A LOT of data.

So in some ways, the remaining unlimited customers are the Bourgeoisie of wireless.  Probably quite a few FCC bureaucrats personally affected.  Maybe even why they decided to take action, as they personally are being affected.  This is really not a fight for the every day Joe Blow consumer if you think about it.

People like Fox News TV Personalities:

• Like 2

Robert,

According to CNET's Marguerite Reardon, 44% of At&t data users were still on the old 'unlimited' plan.

It's safe to assume Verizon has a lower amount of users with 'unlimited' data due to their more aggressive strategy of getting people off of their unlimited plans.

• Like 2

I have no idea. I would guess it's now in the single digits. Since you lost subsidized upgrades to keep unlimited data, most gave up their unlimited plans to get a new device. Most of the people I know who kept them are upper middle class folks who can easily afford cash price for new devices but who use A LOT of data.

So in some ways, the remaining unlimited customers are the Bourgeoisie of wireless. Probably quite a few FCC bureaucrats personally affected. Maybe even why they decided to take action, as they personally are being affected. This is really not a fight for the every day Joe Blow consumer if you think about it.

I know of several people who still get subsidized upgrades with AT&T and get to keep their unlimited data. I don't know how they do it other than threatening to leave at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to CNET's Marguerite Reardon, 44% of At&t data users were still on the old 'unlimited' plan.

It's safe to assume Verizon has a lower amount of users with 'unlimited' data due to their more aggressive strategy of getting people off of their unlimited plans.

Depending on how much lower that amount is with Verizon in contrast with AT&T, it could mean different things for what I'm about to say/suggest.

I'm going to assume a number around 30℅ for this example. I figure by now, most of those people really need unlimited data, based on their usage, whereas those who don't need unlimited data for their own usage being served well enough by per gb data plans, most of those people likely have switched to those plans by now.

So, with the remainder of people subscribed to unlimited data, most of whom need it based on their usage, would not stay with Verizon if Verizon got rid of unlimited plans and did not decrease the current per gb data rate to a rate acceptable by most of those customers.

Verizon doesn't seem willing to completely get rid of those grandfathered plans. A 30℅ churn is pretty major. Even if my estimates are wrong, which I fully acknowledge that possibility, still it seems likely to be high enough of potential churn for Verizon to keep those grandfathered unlimited plans.

I know of several people who still get subsidized upgrades with AT&T and get to keep their unlimited data. I don't know how they do it other than threatening to leave at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT&T never stopped grandfathering unlimited users who upgraded.

• Like 1

(snip)

Oh god.

And I'm also very inclined to take the argument of a person who can't even reboot, or purchase a new router seriously.  :rolleyes:

Edited by cortney

That percentage seems almost impossibly high -- 40 million people are not paying subsidized plan prices and full freight $700 for their iPhones.  Are you sure that statistic did not come from Collette Reardon?

SNL_1070_07_Update_3_Collette_Reardon.pn

AJ

• Like 1

That percentage seems almost impossibly high -- 40 million people are not paying subsidized plan prices and full freight $700 for their iPhones. Are you sure that statistic did not come from Collette Reardon?

SNL_1070_07_Update_3_Collette_Reardon.pn

AJ

What are you talking about? At&T allows its customers to upgrade and keep their legacy 'unlimited' data plans.
  • Like 2

There is no way 44 percent of Att customers are on the unlimited plan. It hasn't been offered for five years even at 1 percent churn the customer base has seen a massive turn over. The real niumber is closer to 5 percent.

What are you talking about? At&T allows its customers to upgrade and keep their legacy 'unlimited' data plans.

I did not know that AT&T allowed "unlimited" data subs to make AT&T their "bitch."  That is surprising, especially considering it is AT&T.

I guess VZW knows how to do it, and AT&T does not.  Oh well, that is AT&T's problem.

AJ

• Like 1

I did not know that AT&T allowed "unlimited" data subs to make AT&T their "bitch."  That is surprising, especially considering it is AT&T.

I guess VZW knows how to do it, and AT&T does not.  Oh well, that is AT&T's problem.

AJ

I think Randal spent too much to build up the crap net AT&T had for years....   And now if these so-loyal unlimited users split for TMO it could be bad.  And Well I assume John would bask in that!!!  So the safe route is let them stay.....