Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

http://www.pocketables.com/2015/06/fyi-t-mobile-has-quietly-become-much-more-generous-with-its-tethering-allowances.html

Wonder if Sprint would ever consider including tethering for free, even a limited amount.

Wow.

As far as Sprint goes, I'm shocked they haven't included that within plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

http://www.pocketables.com/2015/06/fyi-t-mobile-has-quietly-become-much-more-generous-with-its-tethering-allowances.html

Wonder if Sprint would ever consider including tethering for free, even a limited amount.

Wow.

As far as Sprint goes, I'm shocked they haven't included that within plans.

Pretty sure tethering is included on all of the capped plans. It counts against your data allotment just like anything else.

Tethering and Hotspot are included in the family share plans up to your plans limits.

Oh ok Gotcha. Thanks

Yeah, tethering allowances are one of the reasons I got a T-Mobile test drive device. 4 days into it...and no way I'm switching! Lol. But it was enough to make me look.

• Like 5

That's why, cheapies ps not withstanding, Sprint and Tmobile should at least share a network and be allowed to joint bid in the upcoming auction. Given the sheer size of this country, Sprint and T-Mobile should at least be allowed to share infrastructure if not outright merge.

BTW, I drove between Angwin, CA and Winters, CA yesterday. No signal on AT&T for about 45-50 miles. I have to admit it was a beautiful mountain drive, but man was I panicking!

It's a dead horse for as long as Wheeler is at the FCC. Better wait for a GOP administration, or divest tons of spectrum out of 2.5 ghz. That would sort of defeat the point.

Finally the technical integration would be a headache no matter what.

• Like 1

I cant separate Wheeler's telecom lobbying past from his suitability/objectivity to make these decisions. Regardless of party, we could just as easily get another personality with a full resume of sympathy or maybe even - direct responsibility- for placing so much low band spectrum in the hands of the big two or providing consent to their mergers and acquisitions. Washington is full of ATT /Verizon sympathists from both parties. It's not a party matter as much as it is $$$ matter.

The risk of Tmo/Sprint working together on a network represents the most significant threat to the balance of power in wireless. It's rather exciting, actually

• Like 7

clhY7M6.jpg

The All-ighty Ollar rules all! Who has the most Ollars? Verizon and ATT...ergo they would get all the mergers/acquisitions and low band spectrum they want!

• Like 2

Well, certain things we like would go away in a merged network. By all indications, if a merger came up, Legere would be running it. There'd be a house cleaning at Overland Park too. I don't see a situation where Sievert and Ray aren't there.

Also say adios to CDMA. Not saying it isn't going away eventually, but SoftBank and the TMUS engineers taking over would want their networks to match Japan and the faster TMUS networks. The good news is Spark could quickly and easily be deployed in the existing TMUS grid. The key would would be "migration". It would simply be easier to use Nokia/Ericsson and perhaps keep Samsung B41 where it is.

AlLu is going away anyway so I'm sure that stuff would be out the door. That leaves Nokia and Ericsson T-Mobile setups and then I take it there'd be new B41 channel cards from Nokia and Samsung on TMUS deployments.

I'd also guess no more Sprint brand. Probably T-Mobile US or SoftBank depending on how much ownership DT keeps. From Tim Hottges's comments, I'd guess DT would keep some ownership.

• Like 1

Well, certain things we like would go away in a merged network. By all indications, if a merger came up, Legere would be running it. There'd be a house cleaning at Overland Park too. I don't see a situation where Sievert and Ray aren't there.

Also say adios to CDMA. Not saying it isn't going away eventually, but SoftBank and the TMUS engineers taking over would want their networks to match Japan and the faster TMUS networks. The good news is Spark could quickly and easily be deployed in the existing TMUS grid. The key would would be "migration". It would simply be easier to use Nokia/Ericsson and perhaps keep Samsung B41 where it is.

AlLu is going away anyway so I'm sure that stuff would be out the door. That leaves Nokia and Ericsson T-Mobile setups and then I take it there'd be new B41 channel cards from Nokia and Samsung on TMUS deployments.

I'd also guess no more Sprint brand. Probably T-Mobile US or SoftBank depending on how much ownership DT keeps. From Tim Hottges's comments, I'd guess DT would keep some ownership.

Most of that is probably still true. Only thing that would be question would be the CEO. Legere taking over was while Hesse was still in charge of Sprint. Made lots of sense since Legere was "hip and cool" while Hesse wasn't.  Plus I think Hesse had one foot out the door already.  Now with Marcelo in charge of Sprint, not sure decision would be so clear cut. 

• Like 2

Most of that is probably still true. Only thing that would be question would be the CEO. Legere taking over was while Hesse was still in charge of Sprint. Made lots of sense since Legere was "hip and cool" while Hesse wasn't. Plus I think Hesse had one foot out the door already. Now with Marcelo in charge of Sprint, not sure decision would be so clear cut.

Legere's still done more. Plus Masa has connects to him as well. My fear is Marcelo would look at any transition and decide he'd have more fun running a soccer team somewhere.

• Like 2

Legere's still done more. Plus Masa has connects to him as well. My fear is Marcelo would look at any transition and decide he'd have more fun running a soccer team somewhere.

Legere has also been in his position longer. And John would look at any transition and decide he'd have more fun running a hair styling product company somewhere. ;)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Legere has also been in his position longer. And John would look at any transition and decide he'd have more fun running a hair styling product company somewhere. ;)

Legere.  Vidal Sassoon.  Yeah, that sounds about right.

AJ

• Like 5

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

He could call it the "Unhairier".

• Like 8

Legere.  Vidal Sassoon.  Yeah, that sounds about right.

AJ

He would have to practice first on that ungodly Legere Doll with that spiked up hair.

He could call it the "Unhairier".

LMAO Good one.

TS

• Like 2

If softbank really ever merges sprint & t-mobile... it won't be for a while & they will want the CEO to be someone they trust & that will execute their plan. Legere is better suited to an underdog role with his insane tweeting to try and grab media attention. If they merge, they would have a similar subscriber base as the big 2 & it would be a completely different ballgame. Idk if Legere would be as effective as he is now.

Offering tethering is not an industry trend, it's a desperate move by John 'The Candy Man' Legere. Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, they are all businesses. They don't make money by not charging people. Fair tethering prices, sure, but free tethering is forgoing profits they would otherwise earn on something that isn't typically a deal breaker for customers. It would be throwing money away. I hope Sprint doesn't offer free tethering, B25 and B26 are already insanely congested, and profits are good.

Legere gives and gives and what happens when you feed the animals? They keep coming back begging for more. Claure is a brilliant CEO, he wouldn't be foolish enough to give Sprint profits away to win some ego-stroking contest Legere is having with himself. 

• Like 1

Offering tethering is not an industry trend, it's a desperate move by John 'The Candy Man' Legere.

Fair tethering prices, sure, but free tethering is forgoing profits they would otherwise earn on something that isn't typically a deal breaker for customers. It would be throwing money away.

That's a ridiculous argument.

This isn't free unlimited tethering. They're just adding on a couple of gigabytes to people who are already paid customers. And some of those customers are already paying slightly more per month than their Sprint counterparts.

Once you already have a paid subscriber, it costs almost nothing to give that subscriber an extra few gigabytes of data -- the network costs are mostly fixed and already sunk.

And there's lots of promos that are offered that "typically aren't deal breakers for customers". Like international roaming.

I hope Sprint doesn't offer free tethering.

Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, they are all businesses. They don't make money by not charging people.

Legere gives and gives and what happens when you feed the animals? They keep coming back begging for more. Claure is a brilliant CEO, he wouldn't be foolish enough to give Sprint profits away to win some ego-stroking contest Legere is having with himself.

You know what, your right.

Good thing Sprint's pricing isn't lower than many of T-Mobile's plans (especially the "Unlimited" plan with all those high data users).  And it's a good thing Sprint's never run any sort of "cut your bill in half" or "double your data" promotions, or stopped charging for international data.

Because, as you say, those would be "desperate moves" because they are "forgoing profits they would otherwise earn". Claure is way too brilliant to offer anything like that.

/s :rolleyes:

I hope Sprint doesn't offer free tethering, B25 and B26 are already insanely congested, and profits are good.

If you feel Sprint's network is so congested that they can't comfortably offer 1GB of extra data to their paid monthly subscribers, perhaps the promotion isn't the real problem....

• Like 5

Offering tethering is not an industry trend, it's a desperate move by John 'The Candy Man' Legere. Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, they are all businesses. They don't make money by not charging people. Fair tethering prices, sure, but free tethering is forgoing profits they would otherwise earn on something that isn't typically a deal breaker for customers. It would be throwing money away. I hope Sprint doesn't offer free tethering, B25 and B26 are already insanely congested, and profits are good.

Tethering is already included in the standard Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint family share plans which is what a lot of the subscriber base is on or switching to. I don't know about you, but if everyone in the industry is doing something I would call that a trend. There is nothing wrong with T-Mobile, or Sprint for that matter if they include a tethering allotment for their single line users.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Customer additions are worth spending profits on, customer retention over tethering isn't. People aren't going to leave Sprint because they don't get a tethering allotment. People WILL join Sprint if the price is right.

Legere is double dipping into profits by throwing promotions at people to get them to switch, then throwing MORE profits at them to stay. Meanwhile, Claure only gets them to switch, then keeps them here with a 'soft contract' like a lease or payments. Legere's retention policy has basically been 'throw more money at them', while Claure's has been 'lets keep long term profitability in mind for when we want to stop the promotions'.