Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I grew up in rural WV (not as rural now and in Shentel's market!) and I agree that 25/26 is more than sufficient for a town of 5000 where maybe Sprint has 10-25% of the market. This is what Shentel is thinking according to their last earning call...B41 for the areas that need it but dual B25's + a B26 should be sufficient until the market grows.

With the way wireless is going now days. It may be better to have more (capacity) then not enough and have to play catch up again.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

I grew up in rural WV (not as rural now and in Shentel's market!) and I agree that 25/26 is more than sufficient for a town of 5000 where maybe Sprint has 10-25% of the market. This is what Shentel is thinking according to their last earning call...B41 for the areas that need it but dual B25's + a B26 should be sufficient until the market grows.

It's nice to not have to worry about the tower i park on slowing down, as I've tested in the middle of day on Saturday and still get 15mb download and 9mbps upload. ....but in turn, once i drive 3 miles away from town, i drop to 1x, and at home its pure roaming via vzw's colocated site with at&t which is exactly 1 mile from my drive. My buddy lives right in front of that tower and he has vzw, and gets great speed. ...but he gripes about the price and hitting his data cap all the time. I can't show him anything better right now with my phone because it won't work without the airave, but I'd love to brag on some band 26LTE to him. ...i hope sprint adds to the tower behind his house and I'll be set. i can see big things from sprint and i hope it comes to fruition
  • Like 1

So if it does not benefit you in your home, then you don't think Sprint should do it? Every person who within B41 range in your sector will only improve your B25/26 experience. Sprint should put B41 everywhere, if it can afford it.

Also, B41 works better in rural areas where they crank up the power. It will cover about 75%-80% as far as B25. And with beamforming you can get to 100%. Sprint should rock B41 as far as they can afford.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

One of the things we both agree on, Robert.

Band 41 in Schaumburg was excellent despite tons of congestion, did not get below 20mbps. Once Sprint gets this all over the place, it'll be great.

So with the nearest tower being 6.9 miles away, what exactly will band 41 do for me aside from being really nice when i walk around walmart? I'd benefit much more from band 26 LTE....but I'm curious with what's been said here about band 41 being 3 to 5 miles depending on adjustment. ...how will that do me any good at all?

Being in a town of less than 5000 people, most who don't use sprint because they think it still sucks, I'm not seeing any slow down on 25/26 and 25 has been deployed here for 2 years. I still have 15mb downloads on 25 after 2 years of it being here. There are only 3 towers in a 25 mile radius around me, we aren't talking a large suburb here

Two can play this game...

By your benefit rationale, what does serving Sylacauga, AL at all do for Sprint?  If so few people use Sprint that you still get 15 Mbps on a single band 25 carrier after two years, then Sprint is losing money serving your town.  Subscriber fees are not covering infrastructure costs, site leases, and electric bills -- not to mention, other less tangible, per capita debits.

Forget band 41 in Sylacauga.  Sprint should cancel its site leases, then take down its infrastructure and move it somewhere that benefits Sprint.

See what I mean?

AJ

• Like 6

Being in a town of less than 5000 people, most who don't use sprint because they think it still sucks, I'm not seeing any slow down on 25/26 and 25 has been deployed here for 2 years. I still have 15mb downloads on 25 after 2 years of it being here. There are only 3 towers in a 25 mile radius around me, we aren't talking a large suburb here

This will change incredibly quickly. I live by 3 towns of 10k or less and speeds on b25 used to be right around 32mbs (real expected Max). In less than a year and a half speeds on b25 dropped to 2-5 mbs right before b26 got blanket deployed around here.

Out of friends, church members, and the general assorted people that we know around this area over 60% have already switched to sprint or have taken advantage of their carriers retention deals.

Also you would not believe the amount of people on other carriers who see me streaming twitch, while waiting on family members, and ask me how I can do it because they can't get pictures to load completely. It happens most frequently in STL county, and further in.

Edit: last statement was to emphasis that I meant the other carriers are going to shit, and b41 is a huge benefit.

• Like 4

I am on AJ's side on this. I use T-Mobile rural and have played around with a $30 plan on and off. There's no dip in speed where LTE is deployed. So does this area deserve full modernization on their end? Probably not soon. Sprint would be in a similar boat if not more so. If any new coverage does pop up here it would be best to do 5x5 B25 and B26. I just don't see the market for Sprint here in Chester. Not when people here blindly stay on Verizon.

Chester and Sylacauga are very similar - about 60 miles away from the nearest metro, not on an Interstate, demographics not great - if anything they are better in my town because we have a highly union workforce while Alabama is right to work. You're lucky you have Sprint at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's why, cheapies ps not withstanding, Sprint and Tmobile should at least share a network and be allowed to joint bid in the upcoming auction. Given the sheer size of this country, Sprint and T-Mobile should at least be allowed to share infrastructure if not outright merge. 

BTW, I drove between Angwin, CA and Winters, CA yesterday. No signal on AT&T for about 45-50 miles. I have to admit it was a beautiful mountain drive, but man was I panicking!

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Two can play this game...

By your benefit rationale, what does serving Sylacauga, AL at all do for Sprint?  If so few people use Sprint that you still get 15 Mbps on a single band 25 carrier after two years, then Sprint is losing money serving your town.  Subscriber fees are not covering infrastructure costs, site leases, and electric bills -- not to mention, other less tangible, per capita debits.

Forget band 41 in Sylacauga.  Sprint should cancel its site leases, then take down its infrastructure and move it somewhere that benefits Sprint.

See what I mean?

AJ

Sprint benefits from the sum of its parts. Less parts, less benefit for Sprint.

• Like 1

Sprint benefits from the sum of its parts. Less parts, less benefit for Sprint.

Good, you get my point.  jonathanm1978 does not -- or did not but does now.

AJ

BTW, I drove between Angwin, CA and Winters, CA yesterday. No signal on AT&T for about 45-50 miles. I have to admit it was a beautiful mountain drive, but man was I panicking!

It's too bad that the level at Lake Berryessa at the Monticello Dam wasn't high enough to go into the overflow. That is a really neat sight. The over flow there is a concrete cylinder, hollowed out in the middle. When the lake level gets high enough to the top brim, it overflows into the cylinder. It looks like a huge whirlpool. Almost like someone pulled the drain plug for Lake Berryessa.

monticello_dam_drain_glory_hole_usa4.jpg

The picture is awesome. But seeing it in person is amazing. I lived in this part of California from 1977-1987.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 11

It's too bad that the level at Lake Berryessa at the Monticello Dam wasn't high enough to go into the overflow. That is a really neat sight. The over flow there is a concrete cylinder, hollowed out in the middle. When the lake level gets high enough to the top brim, it overflows into the cylinder. It looks like a huge whirlpool. Almost like someone pulled the drain plug for Lake Berryessa.

The picture is awesome. But seeing it in person is amazing. I lived in this part of California from 1977-1987.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/media-post/photos-glory-hole-at-lake-berryessa/attachment/monticello-dam-at-lake-berryessa-tuesday-aaron-rosenblattdaily-republic/

This is current pictures of the Glory hole.

• Like 1

This looks like my Sprint stock since the acquisition....

I tried to take all cash but it was oversubscribed, so I wound up getting cash and stock on a prorated basis...

For a picture of how I wish it was doing and the dividends I wish it was paying on a regular basis, see "Old Faithful"....

• Like 1

Does anyone know how a company like RootMetrics gets revenue?  I can't seem to find a way they can make money.

They state that they sell the information back the providers. It is a great tool for providers to analyze internal to external information.

• Like 6

The lake looked beautiful! I am just wondering why I had No Service on Cricket until Winters? According to their coverage map, I should have had LTE all along the route.

For those with a need to make calls to Cuba:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-first-national-carrier-offer-140000228.html

Sprint is the first national carrier making it easy and affordable for customers to connect with family and friends in Cuba. For $10 per month, customers can add Sprint Cuba 20 Plus to their domestic rate plan and get 20 minutes of included calling to Cuba. Additional minutes are only 70 cents per minute. Sprint Cuba 20 Plus also includes no additional international charges for calling or texting to Mexico and Canada and discounted calling to 180 additional countries.

“Affordable international calling is an important feature for our customers,” said Tom Roberts, senior vice president, Marketing, Sprint. “Sprint is the first national carrier to offer an affordable calling option to Cuba. We are continuing to expand our international offers for customers traveling abroad or while calling or texting from the U.S.”

New and existing customers can easily add Sprint Cuba 20 Plus to their plan by accessing their account online at Sprint.com or by visiting their local Sprint store.

• Like 5

Looks like someone decided to divide by zero.

• Like 4

2v9t94w.png

That is where the Zodiac lives.

AJ

• Like 2