Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I never heard once any proposal from softb for network sharing, probably because that would've cemented a 4 carrier regime and look how profitable 3-carrier co-opetition is for softbank.

With the Japanese domestic telecoms business generating stable cash flow, SoftBank’s main focus will be to create a portfolio of technology companies.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aac64fde-f7aa-11e4-8bd5-00144feab7de.html#axzz3ZxPe3cQI

Son is betting he will be allowed to merge later so he'd rather upgrade sprint now, then pay for TMO including all the upgrades that TMO performed and hopefully wring savings out of that merger; I'll get the humble pie ready.

I'm beginning to doubt there will be a merger between Sprint and T-Mobile, plus many T-Mobile employees wouldn't want that. They wouldn't be happy about the extra hassle involved with customers issues with network compatibility issues, unless Google were to give their solution over to the newly merged Sprint/T-Mobile.

There seems to be a greater likelihood Dish will purchase T-Mobile.

I was at the local T-Mobile store Tuesday, as a resolution with my mother who really wanted to get T-Mobile postpaid as the alternative to my Sprint service we are cancelling later Wednesday afternoon/evening, though not because of the Sprint network, but a bad situation where a Sprint saleslady lied to me about us getting Framily, as confirmed by several people on S4GRU that I should have been able to get it. Although, Sprint has been unwilling to help us convert plans and at least the retentions person while not willing to work with us at all on any resolution to the issue, was very eager and willing to help my mother with the cancellation, even got a number to call for help once the port went through, which did almost instantly at the T-Mobile store. So, while setting up the new service there, I was discussing the merger history of T-Mobile with the very nice sales representative, who mentioned the hassles involved for T-Mobile employees had Sprint merged with T-Mobile, and that many of the employees were relieved it didn't happen. BTW, the sales guy use to work at the nearby former Sprint corporate store and still has friends working at Sprint retail, so it wasn't an anti-Sprint situation at all really.

The matter of Dish purchasing Sprint would be a lot easier on the employees at T-Mobile not having to deal with network integration issues. All the staff would have to learn is Dish's television service offerings and any potential new services through the T-Mobile network using Dish services. The great thing to me, is Dish's AWS spectrum purchases recently here in Chicago are quite massive. That would give T-Mobile much needed additional spectrum here in Chicago, which would make the competitive landscape here very interesting. Sprint and T-Mobile would dominate Chicago, which being a massive market, might have an impact on AT&T and Verizon, that could affect their wireless rates which would need to decrease, in order to compete. At risk of being unrealistic, I still am going to mention this idea anyways, that if Dish and T-Mobile merged, then somehow Sprint got involved merging with the other two, despite employee discontent of course, imagine the spectrum and network power involved.

Chicago would be a wireless oasis. If someone here could calculate the spectrum holdings between the three companies in Chicago, and give approximate estimations for how much in paired mhz x mhz such a combination could bring to Chicago, I'd be grateful. While there is a lot against the likelihood of such a mass merger happening, it could happen, especially if there is a new government administration with an FCC a bit lighter on mergers, as such may not happen until 2017/2018, but its nice to think about such a powerful network.

With the 40mhz SDL, TMO would permanently exert pressure on sprint to keep unlimited; not something son wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What indications do you have that Son doesn't want to keep unlimited? There's nothing leading up to believe that unlimited is going away anytime in the next 5 years that I can see...am I missing something?

Or is this just a conclusion that people still believe mobile broadband is so gosh-darn expensive it can't be unlimited (thanks VZW CEO for saying unlimited was dead)

• Like 2

What indications do you have that Son doesn't want to keep unlimited? There's nothing leading up to believe that unlimited is going away anytime in the next 5 years that I can see...am I missing something?

Or is this just a conclusion that people still believe mobile broadband is so gosh-darn expensive it can't be unlimited (thanks VZW CEO for saying unlimited was dead)

No CEO wants to keep unlimited any longer than he has to.

When did TMO introduce their family unlimited plan (followed by sprint)?

After the merger was definitively killed.

Unlimited means data usage increases while revenue doesn't.

• Like 1

Sprint might be the only carrier to keep unlimited data longer since they own an average of 120mhz 2.5ghz Spectrum.

I have an unlimited plan with Sprint not because I want to consume 10 to 20gbs every month,but because I don't want to worry about overages. Regardless I only use less than 3gbs every month.I use WiFi only at home.

• Like 3

Unlimited means data usage increases while revenue doesn't.

There is always the possibility of moving to the wired internet model.  Pay X for up to 5mbps speed.  Pay Y for up to 30mbps speed.  Pay Z for up to 100mbps speed.  That model is still unlimited, approved by the FCC, and it generates additional revenue.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that occur in the future as speeds continue to increase.

• Like 3

There is always the possibility of moving to the wired internet model. Pay X for up to 5mbps speed. Pay Y for up to 30mbps speed. Pay Z for up to 100mbps speed. That model is still unlimited, approved by the FCC, and it generates additional revenue. I wouldn't be surprised to see that occur in the future as speeds continue to increase.

They have that in Europe.

Id be fine getting unlimited @ 5mbps download.

• Like 1

There is always the possibility of moving to the wired internet model.  Pay X for up to 5mbps speed.  Pay Y for up to 30mbps speed.  Pay Z for up to 100mbps speed.  That model is still unlimited, approved by the FCC, and it generates additional revenue.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that occur in the future as speeds continue to increase.

I would have  a hard time with that model. If I pay for 30mbps and only get 20mbps at times, would piss me off since I'm paying for 30.  They just can't guarrenty the speed all the time. Especially at events and such.

I would have a hard time with that model. If I pay for 30mbps and only get 20mbps at times, would piss me off since I'm paying for 30. They just can't guarrenty the speed all the time. Especially at events and such.

It wouldn't be a guarantee if the floor but the ceiling: guaranteed to get no faster than 30mbps.

• Like 1

I would have  a hard time with that model. If I pay for 30mbps and only get 20mbps at times, would piss me off since I'm paying for  30.  They just can't guarrenty the speed all the time. Especially at events and such.

The same thing happens with wired ISP's and people don't have a problem with it. I'm sure it's much more easy to maintain those high speeds when you're running a wired network but it's not like speeds don't dip below the speed tier you pay for.

• Like 1

There is always the possibility of moving to the wired internet model. Pay X for up to 5mbps speed. Pay Y for up to 30mbps speed. Pay Z for up to 100mbps speed. That model is still unlimited, approved by the FCC, and it generates additional revenue. I wouldn't be surprised to see that occur in the future as speeds continue to increase.

Wired internet providers like Comcast are starting to have caps as well.

Wired internet providers like Comcast are starting to have caps as well.

I think only in certain "test" markets. When I login, it says my 250gb cap has been suspended, and it's been like that for a few years I think.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I've been arguing with at&t for nearly two years because they say I've been going over my 250gb monthly cap. I know for sure i do not hit the cap, especially when i got two DSL lines to split my traffic. They finally told me last week that they found a problem with their end and the data activity monitor. But they do enforce their cap (for every 50gb over initial 250gb is $10 more until bill cycle.)

I think only in certain "test" markets. When I login, it says my 250gb cap has been suspended, and it's been like that for a few years I think.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Not anymore at least in my market. I have a soft cap with Comcast at 300 GB a month with 3 months of allowed overage followed by $10 per 50 gb bucket.

I've been arguing with at&t for nearly two years because they say I've been going over my 250gb monthly cap. I know for sure i do not hit the cap, especially when i got two DSL lines to split my traffic. They finally told me last week that they found a problem with their end and the data activity monitor. But they do enforce their cap (for every 50gb over initial 250gb is $10 more until bill cycle.)

Not anymore at least in my market. I have a soft cap with Comcast at 300 GB a month with 3 months of allowed overage followed by $10 per 50 gb bucket.

AT&T says there is a 250GB cap on my Uverse, but no where have I been able to actually find a usage meter or anything like that. As far as I can tell, they're not tracking it, haven't been for the last year. Not sure if that will change in the future.

Ouch. I've never come close to even 50gb on my home wifi. I don't even want it anymore. My wife and I are such casual users at home, that buying 1gb hotspot from sprint would be fine for those two, or three times a month we use a PC or laptop. I really only have wifi because I haven't figured out a way to be able to backup our iPhones without wifi. If I find a workaround that doesn't involve jail breaking, I'm cutting the Comcast cord.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Not for me... I cut the cord last year and now stream all my content so I can blow through several hundred gigs without a problem.. I hope Comcash doesn't enforce a cap here in ABQ... That would drive me to switch carriers.

Ouch. I've never come close to even 50gb on my home wifi. I don't even want it anymore. My wife and I are such casual users at home, that buying 1gb hotspot from sprint would be fine for those two, or three times a month we use a PC or laptop. I really only have wifi because I haven't figured out a way to be able to backup our iPhones without wifi. If I find a workaround that doesn't involve jail breaking, I'm cutting the Comcast cord.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

AT&T says there is a 250GB cap on my Uverse, but no where have I been able to actually find a usage meter or anything like that. As far as I can tell, they're not tracking it, haven't been for the last year. Not sure if that will change in the future.

Oh they are tracking it, trust me. (Btw, i meant 150gb not 250gb on mine)

The way it works: until you use a certain amount in a month, they don't show you the usage meter, but once you go past a certain point, it's 100gb on dsl for the 150gb data cap, they send an email saying you are at 65% of your alloted data.

Until you use that amount, likely for you on uverse, it's 175gb or 200gb, you won't know or even be able to view your usage. Once you hit the trigger amount, you can view the use on the tracking site. They only show you weekly totals until you hit 75% then they report daily. It's quite confusing but they do enforce. It's just that most people don't come close to hitting the limit, or even the trigger.

• Like 1

Not for me... I cut the cord last year and now stream all my content so I can blow through several hundred gigs without a problem.. I hope Comcash doesn't enforce a cap here in ABQ... That would drive me to switch carriers.

Same here. I got rid of TV and stream most shows. I've used as high as 290gb before but i think I'll probably blow the cap this month.

Same here. I got rid of TV and stream most shows. I've used as high as 290gb before but i think I'll probably blow the cap this month.

Yep. Same here as well.. One month I did close to 450GB. Lots of streaming and digital PS4 Game downloads.

We often use well over 500 GB on our home internet every month. We do have three Xboxes, four computers, and seven people who all have iPhone's using the wifi. Plus, all I do is stream music, netflix, youtube, etc. all the time. So it doesn't surprise me that we use so much.

-Anthony