Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

It's called "This Is How I Talk"

That was hilarious!!!

I agree

I disagree.  While the sketch is funny, it will not go over well for Sprint -- despite any free brand placement.  Sprint haters and Magentans will have a field day with this, saying that it accurately depicts the reputation of Sprint employees.  The SNL writing staff may even think so.  After all, why did they choose Sprint and not VZW, AT&T, or T-Mobile?  Was it just for the now defunct "Framily" joke?

I immediately sent Robert an SMS when the sketch opened on a Sprint Store last night.  I said that FierceWireless will probably even publish on Monday a negatively slanted article about Sprint in the sketch, and the comments will be a train wreck.  We shall see if my prediction comes to fruition...

AJ

• Like 2

I disagree. While the sketch is funny, it will not go over well for Sprint -- despite any free brand placement. Sprint haters and Magentans will have a field day with this, saying that it accurately depicts the reputation of Sprint employees. The SNL writing staff may even think so. After all, why did they choose Sprint and not VZW, AT&T, or T-Mobile? Was it just for the now defunct "Framily" joke?

I immediately sent Robert an SMS when the sketch opened on a Sprint Store last night. I said that FierceWireless will probably even publish on Monday a negatively slanted article about Sprint in the sketch, and the comments will be a train wreck. We shall see if my prediction comes to fruition...

AJ

If sprint wants to counter this ad, it can spend money to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If sprint wants to counter this ad, it can spend money to do so.

I'm sure Sprint got paid for this or paid to be in this.

No.  Both of you are wrong.  It was not an advertisement -- it was satire.  And I can practically guarantee that no money changed hands.  SNL uses trademarks all the time, but satire is generally protected speech.  See this famous Supreme Court case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell

AJ

• Like 1

If the company thought it wasn't appropriate, and depicted their employees negatively to the show's audience, they wouldn't have allowed the skit to run with the Sprint branding.

Even if no money changed hands, Sprint likely saw this as an opportunity to gain some "coolness" in light of how hip T-Mobile is perceived to be by young urban adults (target audience of SNL). This is very close if not the same to the demographic that T-Mobile is focusing the bulk of their advertising on. 

What if that was a T-Mobile store and employees in the skit? Do you think John Legere and his fanboy army would have been up in arms? Not at all! They would have called it GENIUS. 

If the company thought it wasn't appropriate, and depicted their employees negatively to the show's audience, they wouldn't have allowed the skit to run with the Sprint branding.

Nope.  Your understanding of First Amendment law is inadequate.  At the very least, read the link I provided.  SNL does not have to seek a public figure's or trademark holder's permission to broadcast a parody.  Otherwise, SNL never would have been a TV program in the first place or would have been litigated into the ground by now.

AJ

• Like 1

No.  Both of you are wrong.  It was not an advertisement -- it was satire.  And I can practically guarantee that no money changed hands.  SNL uses trademarks all the time, but satire is generally protected speech.  See this famous Supreme Court case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell

AJ

I didn't know that.

Even if no money changed hands, Sprint likely saw this as an opportunity to gain some "coolness" in light of how hip T-Mobile is perceived to be by young urban adults (target audience of SNL). This is very close if not the same to the demographic that T-Mobile is focusing the bulk of their advertising on. 

This will do Sprint no good. I didn't find it very funny, but that's me personally. Nonetheless, in a culture where many "hip" young/middle-aged people are flocking (in noticeable numbers around certain urban areas) to T-Mobile and buying the bs marketing for islands of LTE, or better if they live close enough to a city or urban area where they do get a good (enough) experience: this is troll food at best. 

I agree with what AJ said, and I also believe regardless of whether that article actually happens or not, it will still be another overused, run-down track for the broken record Sprint-bashing Magentrolls. 

Edited by cortney
  • Like 1

This will do Sprint no good. I didn't find it very funny, but that's me personally. Nonetheless, in a culture where many "hip" young/middle-aged people are flocking to T-Mobile and buying the bs marketing for islands of LTE, or better if they live close enough to a city or urban area where they do get a good (enough) experience: this is troll food at best.

I agree with what AJ said, and I also believe regardless of whether that article actually happens or not, it will still be another overused, run-down track for the broken record Sprint-bashing Magentrolls.

If all it takes to get subs is BS marketing then it's sprint fault that they couldn't hire a good bs-er

Regardless of whether it is good or bad for Sprint, I thought it was funny.  But then again I am not a person that gets his news from SNL.

• Like 3

Regardless of whether it is good or bad for Sprint, I thought it was funny. But then again I am not a person that gets his news from SNL.

Yes, we have The Daily Show for that. ????

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The skit was mildly funny. I don't think it helps Sprint's image at all. But other than the comment about 'I can't even text outside', I don't think it really picked on Sprint. It could have been any company. But it would have been funnier if it was Boost Mobile.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 7

I'm in agreement with AJ and Cortney about this being bad for Sprint.

Personally though, I don't find SNL funny at all, the few sketches I've seen of it over the years, and generally stay away from any culture comedy at all, as they tend to attack more than they claim is just "satire".

However, I don't find Sprint employees like this in any way. I was in the local store the other night talking with representatives who were completely professional, though not smug nor arrogant in any way. Since they knew me from being in the store before, they talked with me as friends do, asked how I've been since the last time, discussed phone tech with me, and never made me feel like I was in their way or anything.

Sad thing though, I was the only customer in there at 6:00p.m. The store didn't close for another couple of hours. If anything, the SNL skit might make it worse.

The skit was mildly funny. I don't think it helps Sprint's image at all. But other than the comment about 'I can't even text outside', I don't think it really picked on Sprint. It could have been any company. But it would have been funnier if it was Boost Mobile.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

I thought it was on point with sprints customers service lol, but It doesn't bother me.
  • Like 1

The skit was mildly funny. I don't think it helps Sprint's image at all. But other than the comment about 'I can't even text outside'...

Actually, the line as read was "So, basically, I can't text outdoors, which seems pretty bad."

Now, I am not sure if Aidy Bryant flubbed the line, SNL writers tried to be wireless savvy but got it wrong, or SNL writers wanted to be wireless savvy yet ironic.  But, taking into account in building wireless signal attenuation, the line should have been "So, basically, I can't text indoors, which seems pretty bad."

With that delivery of the line, the opportunities for comedy would have been immense...

"Girl, that not my problem.  This be Sprint.  Now, get you and your skank ass T-Mobile phone movin'.  You gone."

…or...

"You indoors but not on Wi-Fi? Why you clownin' on the network, ho?  You gone."

AJ

• Like 5

I think it was good. I don't think there is any harm in comedy and a few laughs at the expense of Sprint. People like companies with a sense of humor, it shows their human side. As a matter of fact, if I were Sprint, I'd keep the ball rolling and hire Leslie Jones to do a set of comedy style commercials for Sprint using the same character. They can't be any worse than those dumb "Framily" commercials.

• Like 1

Considering almost every T-Mobile store in my market, and a chunk of Sprint stores as well, are pretty much staffed with folks who sound and work exactly like this, I'm not surprised. 

Satire is great, especially when there is a ring of truth to it.

I was at the HTC One M9 launch event here in NYC, and it was blatantly obvious then. 

• Like 1

I think it was good. I don't think there is any harm in comedy and a few laughs at the expense of Sprint. People like companies with a sense of humor, it shows their human side. As a matter of fact, if I were Sprint, I'd keep the ball rolling and hire Leslie Jones to do a set of comedy style commercials for Sprint using the same character. They can't be any worse than those dumb "Framily" commercials.

The problem I see, is that Sprint doesn't need this sort of "humor" right now. Perhaps, and this is a big "perhaps", this kind of skit might have been okay to put on when Sprint has its network woes corrected and a big importance in my opinion, their reputation at a complete reversal from what it is now, with the majority of people in the wireless industry, etc. praising Sprint for being a leader in network quality and customer service. The skit ought to have been done then, when it could have been a satire of Sprint's difficult times, but done at a time when things are better for the company and has little chance of doing any damage.

Right now though, Sprint is still struggling. I'm not personally complaining about Sprint by saying this, but unfortunately it is the truth at the moment. I'm not counting the bias opinions of T-Mobile trolls and writers, but rather the more mainstream opinions by Sprint Facebook commenters who actually have/had Sprint, despite my questioning why many of them have had Sprint for as long as they claim when they are complaining so loudly about it. It is known Sprint still needs to do a lot, and I hope the best for them in the process. Yet, this kind of skit being done now, just isn't the right time for it, which hopefully it won't do much (if any) damage to Sprint. Although it very well could.

This will do Sprint no good. I didn't find it very funny, but that's me personally. Nonetheless, in a culture where many "hip" young/middle-aged people are flocking (in noticeable numbers around certain urban areas) to T-Mobile and buying the bs marketing for islands of LTE, or better if they live close enough to a city or urban area where they do get a good (enough) experience: this is troll food at best.

Was sprint's lte any better before they got 800mhz lte?

Has anyone else seen the Sprint personalized video bill? I had an email from Sprint yesterday with a link to it, though I couldn't find where it was on the website. I think it would be better if it went into detail about each line instead of only a couple. It said it was supposed to help customers understand new charges and pro rated amounts. Verizon has been doing this for a while for FiOS and its been pretty nice. I don't personally have a need for it, but I can see a lot of customers finding the information helpful.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk