Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Seems like Sprint is getting more aggressive with the advertising. I don't know if this is new but I was listening to the radio. The sprint ad was boasting about their rootmetrics score in my market. It even gave a link to the Sprint site that was dedicated to my market. Has anyone else have this ad on a station in their city?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though it's weird they're boasting; sprint is last overall and last in download and upload speed.

The network definitely looks good there but if someone goes to rootmetrics site they'll see sprint is last.

• Like 2

Finally!

Though it's weird they're boasting; sprint is last overall and last in download and upload speed.

The network definitely looks good there but if someone goes to rootmetrics site they'll see sprint is last.

There was a 3 way tie for reliability which what matters to me most. They were last in speed but for me personally Sprint has enough speed to do everything I need to do on my phone. I think their advertising is a step in the right direction. Seems like nowadays all people care about is speed. What good is speed when you can't connect to the LTE signal inside of buildings and you get all of your speed outdoors.

Sent from my Nexus 6

There was a 3 way tie for reliability which what matters to me most. They were last in speed but for me personally Sprint has enough speed to do everything I need to do on my phone. I think their advertising is a step in the right direction. Seems like nowadays all people care about is speed. What good is speed when you can't connect to the LTE signal inside of buildings and you get all of your speed outdoors.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I totally agree 10mvps is enough. But from an advertising point, all a consumer is gonna see is "sprint is last".

I'm not saying sprint should chase the rootmetric ratings either.

• Like 2

Follow up: marcelo said "the reason why sprint users cancel isn't because they can't get 30mbps but because their internet does not work at all" during not this recent quarter's earnings call but I think last one's.

• Like 2

Follow up: marcelo said "the reason why sprint users cancel isn't because they can't get 30mbps but because their internet does not work at all" during not this recent quarter's earnings call but I think last one's.

So their reliability score on Root metrics is correct for my market. My Sprint line is as reliable as any other carrier in my market. So Sprint using root metrics as a source and not sprint themselves will get potential customers to give sprint a second look.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Seems like Sprint is getting more aggressive with the advertising. I don't know if this is new but I was listening to the radio. The sprint ad was boasting about their rootmetrics score in my market. It even gave a link to the Sprint site that was dedicated to my market. Has anyone else have this ad on a station in their city?

Sent from my Nexus 6

The market specific ads and websites just launched. There are about 30 cities that have "vanity" URLs. Kind of surprised that Indianapolis wasn't one of them.

Sent from my Tab 4

• Like 1

So their reliability score on Root metrics is correct for my market. My Sprint line is as reliable as any other carrier in my market. So Sprint using root metrics as a source and not sprint themselves will get potential customers to give sprint a second look.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Yes that is true.

But sprint also needs a "testdrive" like TMO but 2 weeks instead of 1.

Negative personal experience and negative word of mouth trumps graphs. A zero cost trial is the only thing that will convince people to switch carriers.

Yes that is true.

But sprint also needs a "testdrive" like TMO but 2 weeks instead of 1.

Negative personal experience and negative word of mouth trumps graphs. A zero cost trial is the only thing that will convince people to switch carriers.

A test drive you can get in the store, rather than having to wait for it to ship out, which is what T-Mobile told my mother today when she went to the store to get it. So now I'm going to see if they will give us the rate plan they quoted a few years ago, or else just go with Verizon, something I want to do, if I can't get the Framily situation worked out.

Regarding advertising though, all the companies ought to offer a test drive that can be picked up in store, available for 14 days, as I agree with lou99 about the 2 weeks. One week isn't long enough, though 2 weeks seems just fine. The test drive ought to offer a system where the different rate plan which are available with the different limitations are given throughout the test drive period, so potential customers can not only try out the service regarding the network quality, but also their usage and what the companies are offering that would best fit those needs, which would be a good thing to have tested in these test drives and advertise this heavily.

Regarding advertising though, all the companies ought to offer a test drive that can be picked up in store, available for 14 days, as I agree with lou99 about the 2 weeks.

Would these 14 day "test drives" be free of charge?

If so, I bet I could swing free cellular service for about six months out of the year just by cycling through the "test drives" periodically among the four or five operators in a given market.  The other six months or so, I would be on prepaid.  Not a bad deal.  I also could arrange for a free "test drive" while I was going on vacation to somewhere that only a certain operator covers well.

See the problem?

;)

AJ

• Like 5

Would these 14 day "test drives" be free of charge?

If so, I bet I could swing free cellular service for about six months out of the year just by cycling through the "test drives" periodically among the four or five operators in a given market. The other six months or so, I would be on prepaid. Not a bad deal. I also could arrange for a free "test drive" while I was going on vacation to somewhere that only a certain operator covers well.

See the problem?

;)

AJ

T-Mobile's test drive is limited to one time per credit card and billing address... Plus it places a large hold on the card until the phone is returned. Your idea wouldn't really be possible given that all carriers had the same restrictions.
  • Like 1

T-Mobile's test drive is limited to one time per credit card and billing address... Plus it places a large hold on the card until the phone is returned. Your idea wouldn't really be possible given that all carriers had the same restrictions.

Okay, I am just seeking clarification.

The billing address restriction could be a sticking point, but the credit card and hold would not necessarily be a problem.  Many people who have multiple credit cards and tens of thousands of dollars in available credit are still cheapskates who would be happy to save some money on free "test drive" service.

Moreover, John Legere likes to trumpet how T-Mobile's network is getting better all the time.  He claims that even RootMetrics cannot keep up.  So, how am I supposed to believe that without signing up if I cannot "test drive" T-Mobile for myself at least twice a year?

AJ

• Like 1

Okay, I am just seeking clarification.

The billing address restriction could be a sticking point, but the credit card and hold would not necessarily be a problem. Many people who have multiple credit cards and tens of thousands of dollars in available credit are still cheapskates who would be happy to save some money on free "test drive" service.

Moreover, John Legere likes to trumpet how T-Mobile's network is getting better all the time. He claims that even RootMetrics cannot keep up. So, how am I supposed to believe that without signing up if I cannot "test drive" T-Mobile for myself at least twice a year?

AJ

Sure valid points but until sprint or other carriers at least match TMO testdrive …something is still better than nothing.

Sure valid points but until sprint or other carriers at least match TMO testdrive …something is still better than nothing.

And if I were a criminal under surveillance, I also would love the T-Mobile "test drive."  I could have two weeks with a phone that the Feds would have a hard time tapping -- because it would be registered to T-Mobile corporate.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

The $60 unlimited plan with the Nexus 6, would have cost more than the plan I got with the $200 subsidy, though there wouldn't have been an upfront cost, a plus to that. However there isn't an unlimited data guarantee with it, unlike the My Way plan and the Framily (at least I heard Framily had it, with unlimited data added on)

Unlimited my way with the $200 subsidized nexus 6 is still more over two years than the $60 unlimited plan and using easy pay ( $2120 vs $2090). I wouldn't put too much effort into finding a legacy plan that had the unlimited data for life guarantee. Nothing prevents them from jacking up the price, just that you can keep paying for an unlimited data plan.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, the "something is still better than nothing" seems to equate to a glass half full attitude toward T-Mobile -- and a glass half empty attitude toward Sprint.  Therein lies why I do not like the Magenta cult of personality.

AJ

• Like 4

Yes, the "something is still better than nothing" seems to equate to a glass half full attitude toward T-Mobile -- and a glass half empty attitude toward Sprint. Therein lies why I do not like the Magenta cult of personality.

AJ

TMO offers 1 week testdrive while sprint offers 0 weeks. How can you be upset at TMO?

Actually sprint offered a month … for about 2 weeks then they scrapped it back in June 2014.

TMO offers 1 week testdrive while sprint offers 0 weeks. How can you be upset at TMO?

Actually sprint offered a month … for about 2 weeks then they scrapped it back in June 2014.

No, I am speaking about positive T-Mobile bias and negative Sprint bias in general, not just a "test drive" sense.

And maybe Sprint had valid reasons for pulling back on its "test drive" offer so quickly.

AJ

• Like 1

Unlimited my way with the $200 subsidized nexus 6 is still more over two years than the $60 unlimited plan and using easy pay ( $2120 vs $2090). I wouldn't put too much effort into finding a legacy plan that had the unlimited data for life guarantee. Nothing prevents them from jacking up the price, just that you can keep paying for an unlimited data plan.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You are right about the over two years part. I was considering that aspect, but then realized I could get an extension to that at the two year point, with a new phone subsidy for a new device, as I'm hoping by the 4k display screens will be available, along with carrier aggregation and VoLTE being pretty much standard and widely available.

No, I am speaking about positive T-Mobile bias and negative Sprint bias in general, not just a "test drive" sense.

And maybe Sprint had valid reasons for pulling back on its "test drive" offer so quickly.

AJ

Point taken on both points. Summer 2014 sprint had barely started 2.5ghz.

Point taken on both points. Summer 2014 sprint had barely started 2.5ghz.

Jee wiz... I wonder what Clear was doing in 2012/2013 for Sprint. 

• Like 1

Regarding the two week test drive idea.

Certainly people "could" cheat the system by using various methods in getting several weeks/months of free service through the test drive programs, but it isn't as convenient and satisfactory for people, say unlike buying/returning clothing, etc. However, people would not be able to use/port their telephone numbers between devices, and would be restricted to services such as Google Voice and Skype to make/receive voice calls. Then, they'd need to go through the hassles of downloading, installing, setting up, etc., all their apps, along with all the different settings for those apps.

Another thing, besides the hassles of having to spend time doing the apps and going into the stores every other week to get new trial periods, they'd have a really suspicious looking credit card history, which is much more obvious than buying cheaper stuff. Eventually the credit card companies would take notice of this, even if the wireless carriers do not, though I'd imagine it wouldn't be difficult for them to crack down on it, as it is in electronic record keeping of these "transactions".

The market specific ads and websites just launched. There are about 30 cities that have "vanity" URLs. Kind of surprised that Indianapolis wasn't one of them.

Sent from my Tab 4

Sprint is outstanding in Indiana. I sing its praises loudly.

Sprint has a 14-day buyer remorse period that can effectively be used as a test drive, why do they need another?

There is a difference between that and a test drive. However, if Sprint had a test drive, they could lessen the length of the remorse period, and in the meantime greatly reduce the number of returns during that period, since there are many returns based on network quality, where people realize they are unhappy with the signal/speed. This is the case with any wireless carrier though, not just Sprint, which may be a reason why T-Mobile decided to have a test drive program.

By Sprint offering a test drive program, they could cut the remorse period, as any reason for return during that time would be from issues that are likely to occur within a few days from signup, unlike network issues that often require more time to thoroughly test out.

Doing this would save Sprint from having to restock a bunch of used devices too, saving them time and money, as they'd have a set number of devices specifically meant for the test driving, rather than having to open a bunch of new devices, just to be returned because of issues that have little or nothing to do with the device, but rather the network.