Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Your posts are very long and hard to get through.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep. Please less unnecessary formalism. Your posts sound like a script for alfred from batman.

Will help everyone trying to read your posts. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Your posts are very long and hard to get through. From what I gather you are on unlimited my way and purchased a $200 subsidy discounted phone, nexus 6 I think it was. You could have went with the $50 (iPhone) or $60 unlimited plan and either bought a much cheaper phone on easy pay or leased one with no down payment.

On the extreme end, you could have gotten the sharp aquos crystal for $5 a month on easy pay since it was on sale and pay $1560 over two years vs $2120 on unlimited my way with that nexus 6. Or you could have leased an iPhone 6 for a total two year cost of $1680 with $0 down up front.

You could have also went with a much cheaper mvno on Sprint such as boost, virgin, republic etc. Something to keep in mind, if you do manage to switch to framily you will pay an extra $15 a month service charge for having that subsidized phone on a non subsidy plan.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And another thing to add to the above: you're in sprints best market!:

2.5, 800, two b25 carriers all deployed.

Chicago is sprint's flagship market like NYC is TMO's.

Why would you switch to any other carrier?

Because your phone lost signal for a few hours? Could've been phone or network problem but not a reason to switch.

Sprint has provided multiple price points to enjoy their service as travis stated:

$30 for 2GB on boost all the way to truly unlimited for $60/line (for androids).

You even have the option to do the framily thing if you're ok with jumping through hoops a bit.

TMO has slowing speeds in Chicago. One day a total stranger saw my twitter posts about TMO and stated that speeds were slowing down fast in Chicago.

Compare the two previous rootmetric speeds for TMO in chi: avgs fell from 18mbps to 14mbps. It may be below 10mbps for 1H2015, we shall see.

I'm on tmo in Detroit metro and here, TMO has gobs of spectrum but Chicago? I don't recommend TMO based on what I know about TMO's Chicago network.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call NYC T-Mobile's flagship market. They only have 15x15 AWS LTE and can't deploy 700MHz yet because of interference issues. The only thing they can really showcase in NYC is super tight site spacing.

I wouldn't call NYC T-Mobile's flagship market. They only have 15x15 AWS LTE and can't deploy 700MHz yet because of interference issues. The only thing they can really showcase in NYC is super tight site spacing.

20MHz FDD LTE in NYC within the next few months. One HSPA+42 carrier is getting refarmed.

They are really proud of NYC network, as they can provide lots of capacity through the combination of Wideband and that cell density. This is why it's one of their flagship markets.

• Like 1

20MHz FDD LTE in NYC within the next few months. One HSPA+42 carrier is getting refarmed.

They are really proud of NYC network, as they can provide lots of capacity through the combination of Wideband and that cell density. This is why it's one of their flagship markets.

Saying that New York City is T-Mobile's "flagship market" is a reasonable conclusion.  After all, Omnipoint was awarded the New York MTA PCS A block license as a Pioneer's Preference even prior to the first FCC auction in 1994-1995.  So, no other market has a longer history of T-Mobile presence and site establishment.

Now, as for which is Sprint's "flagship market," that is certainly debatable.  Based on recent spectrum acquisitions and deployment, Chicago would have to be in the running.  But Kansas City would enter the conversation, too.

AJ

• Like 1

Saying that New York City is T-Mobile's "flagship market" is a reasonable conclusion. After all, Omnipoint was awarded the New York MTA PCS A block license as a Pioneer's Preference even prior to the first FCC auction in 1994-1995. So, no other market has a longer history of T-Mobile presence and site establishment.

Now, as for which is Sprint's "flagship market," that is certainly debatable. Based on recent spectrum acquisitions and deployment, Chicago would have to be in the running. But Kansas City would enter the conversation, too.

AJ

I thought at one time, maybe 2002-2005 NYC was a sprint flagship market?

You can probably make it work by messaging someone with a small Framily. They may be willing to work with you by adding your lines and do a transfer of liability to make the new account. 

You can see here it is pretty active and gets filled quickly.  https://www.reddit.com/r/SprintFramily/

I thought at one time, maybe 2002-2005 NYC was a sprint flagship market?

Sprint's history and T-Mobile's history are the same length in New York City.  The difference is that Omnipoint had very few markets -- while Sprint already had acquired most of its nationwide footprint.  So, Omnipoint could or even had to concentrate more on its New York MTA market.  How much difference that should make 20 years later, though, is up for debate.

AJ

• Like 3

This is interesting..

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-changes-its-byod-rules-mvnos-trip-ting-q1/2015-05-08

Votava noted that FED is used in evaluating device eligibility for all Sprint MVNOs, and that a handful of MVNOs reliant on the BYOD program were the most impacted by the changes.

"The program is working as designed, preventing activation of ineligible and fraudulent devices," he said. "With the addition of FED, Sprint now also allows devices previously prohibited for activation, including recently launched devices, Boost, Virgin Mobile, Assurance Wireless and Sprint Prepaid branded devices and active devices."

Should make BYOD much simpler if so. 

• Like 2

Sprint's history and T-Mobile's history are the same length in New York City.  The difference is that Omnipoint had very few markets -- while Sprint already had acquired most of its nationwide footprint.  So, Omnipoint could or even had to concentrate more on its New York MTA market.  How much difference that should make 20 years later, though, is up for debate.

AJ

Man, I still have my Omnipoint Ericsson cell phone from 1997 somewhere... 

Well T-Mobile had to divest some of their PCS spectrum to Cingular more than a decade ago, which made them get serious and building insane amounts of sites in order to survive and stay competitive. They were in a very tough situation here.

AWS-1 auction gave them something to work with, but it's really more than a decade of building that cell grid, and now having the densest network is their crown jewel. 

And MetroPCS brought in even more density with their outdoor DAS nodes, so that's coming soon...

I apologize for my posts being so long. I've always been a bit over descriptive about things, never wanting to leave out information, or else be misunderstood, though the result happens to be just that because of how I write. For years, having to explain things to my mother and family over and over again because they don't understand simplicity, has driven me to being descriptive beyond belief, making my posts very very long.

So, to simplify this matter a bit (I'm trying here as best as I can, atm.) I'm not an Apple user, nothing against Apple, just not an Apple user, need something I'm familiar with and works for me with my experience. Google is more pc oriented, seeing as Windows Phones are so limited, not even sure if Sprint has Windows phones or not.

The $60 unlimited plan with the Nexus 6, would have cost more than the plan I got with the $200 subsidy, though there wouldn't have been an upfront cost, a plus to that. However there isn't an unlimited data guarantee with it, unlike the My Way plan and the Framily (at least I heard Framily had it, with unlimited data added on)

I wanted the Framily plan and I personally would deal with whatever process is needed to get it, though my mother will not. As it is, she's giving me a difficult time about Verizon, she much rather go with T-Mobile, especially since the people at the local store know her from her years of paying her prepaid phone fees. I can't stress her to do anything else, she didn't even want to go with Sprint in the first place, I had to convince her of it through my knowledge here on S4GRU.

Anyways, she wants to go back, and I need to have a device that has a high quality case, as we are splitting it, another reason I went with the nexus 6 rather than a lower end device, so the higher end cases were available. She wants the peace of mind with not breaking the device, as she doesn't want to pay/deal with having device insurance. She doesn't deal well with customer service people.

So, hopefully I did better simplifying the situation, though this still is a semi-long post. Had a lot to cover here.

You can probably make it work by messaging someone with a small Framily. They may be willing to work with you by adding your lines and do a transfer of liability to make the new account. 

You can see here it is pretty active and gets filled quickly.  https://www.reddit.com/r/SprintFramily/

I'd really like to do that, and would if it were my own account. As I'm sharing it with my mother though, convincing her to work with someone with a current plan, is pretty difficult, even though to me the process seems fine. This idea certainly isn't one Sprint disagrees with.

I'd really like to do that, and would if it were my own account. As I'm sharing it with my mother though, convincing her to work with someone with a current plan, is pretty difficult, even though to me the process seems fine. This idea certainly isn't one Sprint disagrees with.

I have a Framily (God, I hate that word) of four. You're welcome to join. PM me if you're interested and we can work out the details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have a Framily (God, I hate that word) of four. You're welcome to join. PM me if you're interested and we can work out the details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sounds good. I'll message to you now.

• Like 2

The $60 unlimited plan with the Nexus 6, would have cost more than the plan I got with the $200 subsidy, though there wouldn't have been an upfront cost, a plus to that. However there isn't an unlimited data guarantee with it, unlike the My Way plan and the Framily (at least I heard Framily had it, with unlimited data added on)

The "unlimited guarantee" didn't really mean all that much. If you have an unlimited plan, you will have unlimited, as long as you have that plan. The "guarantee" part of it was just a marketing gimmick. All plans are subject to network prioritization on overburdened cell sites.

The "unlimited guarantee" didn't really mean all that much. If you have an unlimited plan, you will have unlimited, as long as you have that plan. The "guarantee" part of it was just a marketing gimmick. All plans are subject to network prioritization on overburdened cell sites.

I just sent a message to 808Bill. We'll see what happens...

The important thing for me, granted the prioritization concerns me no matter the plan, but the unlimited guarantee was told to me as a means of never losing that plan, where carriers can remove unlimited plans at any time without that guarantee. Sure sounds like a marketing gimmick, if they end up keeping the non-guaranteed unlimited plans, but if not, then there is a real benefit to the guarantee.

I just sent a message to 808Bill. We'll see what happens...

The important thing for me, granted the prioritization concerns me no matter the plan, but the unlimited guarantee was told to me as a means of never losing that plan, where carriers can remove unlimited plans at any time without that guarantee. Sure sounds like a marketing gimmick, if they end up keeping the non-guaranteed unlimited plans, but if not, then there is a real benefit to the guarantee.

I wouldn't worry about that marketing gimmick of a "guarantee," nor would I base my plan purchase off of it. I think that was just a shot at other carriers, as in "they've taken it away, but we won't." Unlimited isn't going anywhere, at least for the foreseeable future. Look at Verizon and AT&T, they did away with unlimited years ago, but people still have it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I highly doubt sprint will do away with unlimited data anytime soon.

Do you guys thinks that there will come a time in the near future where Sprint no longer allows Everything Data plan customers to purchase subsidized phones and keep the same plan? I have heard that with Verizon unlimited data customers, they were no longer allowed to purchase subsidized phones to continue their plans.

Do you guys thinks that there will come a time in the near future where Sprint no longer allows Everything Data plan customers to purchase subsidized phones and keep the same plan? I have heard that with Verizon unlimited data customers, they were no longer allowed to purchase subsidized phones to continue their plans.

If they do I most likely would save more money on my plan. I have three family members who don't use a whole lot of data and don't upgrade every two years.

Saying that New York City is T-Mobile's "flagship market" is a reasonable conclusion. After all, Omnipoint was awarded the New York MTA PCS A block license as a Pioneer's Preference even prior to the first FCC auction in 1994-1995. So, no other market has a longer history of T-Mobile presence and site establishment.

Now, as for which is Sprint's "flagship market," that is certainly debatable. Based on recent spectrum acquisitions and deployment, Chicago would have to be in the running. But Kansas City would enter the conversation, too.

AJ

If KC is still as good as it was a year ago, which is a good bit better then Chicago was just one month ago, then I give KC the flagship status for Sprint until further notice. No doubt Chi is on its way but they still have one VERY important thing to do first (optimization!)

• Like 1

If KC is still as good as it was a year ago, which is a good bit better then Chicago was just one month ago, then I give KC the flagship status for Sprint until further notice. No doubt Chi is on its way but they still have one VERY important thing to do first (optimization!)

Hi gusherb,

What optimization does Sprint need to do?

While the signal strength indoors is quite a bit better with Sprint indoors, and the speeds outdoors are fine, they could be a bit faster, as I've had buffering during songs streaming from Tidal, something that didn't happen on MetroPCS. There also are some areas nearby where there isn't 4g LTE, but 3g. Although I'm still more satisfied with the Sprint data service than I was on MetroPCS, as I need the signal indoors. I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

Hi gusherb,

What optimization does Sprint need to do?

While the signal strength indoors is quite a bit better with Sprint indoors, and the speeds outdoors are fine, they could be a bit faster, as I've had buffering during songs streaming from Tidal, something that didn't happen on MetroPCS. There also are some areas nearby where there isn't 4g LTE, but 3g. Although I'm still more satisfied with the Sprint data service than I was on MetroPCS, as I need the signal indoors. I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

There are quite a few places in the city of Chicago (Chinatown, Hyde Park, Near South Side, Bronzeville, just to name a few off the top of my head) where they either severely need infill (Chinatown) or at least need to better optimize the sites they have (Hyde Park). Plenty of areas near UChicago where LTE is unusable outdoors and only have 1x inside apartments. 

Seems like Sprint is getting more aggressive with the advertising. I don't know if this is new but I was listening to the radio. The sprint ad was boasting about their rootmetrics score in my market. It even gave a link to the Sprint site that was dedicated to my market. Has anyone else have this ad on a station in their city?

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 2