Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That is incorrect. 
Since the Merger is going to pass I don't see that happening giving TMobile has 15x15 and 20x20 in alot of areas and areas that don't have it can with the mix of t- Sprint

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Since the Merger is going to pass I don't see that happening giving TMobile has 15x15 and 20x20 in alot of areas and areas that don't have it can with the mix of t- Sprint

Even if the merger goes through, 25+25 CA will be helpful if:

• The combined company has more than 20 MHz FDD of PCS spectrum in a market
  • The combined company wants to run multiple PCS carriers (one including the G block and one excluding the G block) due to the fact that not all T-Mobile devices support B25 but they all support B2
  • The combined company’s PCS holdings are not contiguous in a market
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, though said:

Any chance of seeing 3x or 4x CA Upload at some point since it's possible on the DL side?

Probably yes after the merger goes through. T-mobile will make it happen I guess. 

You know that after the merger is approved, all of Sprint's customers will be migrated over to PCS and AWS and off band 41, which then becomes the primary band for 5G. There will be plenty of upload bandwidth in midband particularly if they can get PCS more contiguous.

If they migrate all customers to PCS and AWS they better have a state of the art small cell network in every city  since that is what Verizon did with their PCS and AWS holdings here in New York City and congestion is a thing of the past.

This merger is the most idiotic decision in the history of the business, especially when the 5G era is about to begin and Sprint was going to have the upper hand.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NYC126 said:

If they migrate all customers to PCS and AWS they better have a state of the art small cell network in every city  since that is what Verizon did with their PCS and AWS holdings here in New York City and congestion is a thing of the past.

This merger is the most idiotic decision in the history of the business, especially when the 5G era is about to begin and Sprint was going to have the upper hand.

Would Sprint have the money to implement 5g with their debt and low customer count?  Just asking.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Would Sprint have the money to implement 5g with their debt and low customer count?  Just asking.

Sprint is already deploying 5G..

I don't know if having nearly 60 million customers is "low count" 

They could easily deploy it in urban areas (as they are) and have true "5G" and have a huge advantage over all the other carriers for quite a while.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Doubt it would be wide spread. Look at the documents they gave the FCC. In 2024 they would have a 5g network somewhat like band 41 is now, in the city.

• Like 1

Other than capacity improvements, can someone put into layman’s terms why all the hype about ‘5g’ ??  I’m in Midtown Atlanta and am seeing frequent speed tests of 150-200mbps download speeds (which is TWICE as fast as our home ISP) and i am trying to understand the use case for consumers.  

There isn't even a clear definition of what 5G actually is.  At this point, it seems to be whatever the company pushing it at that moment wants it to be.

They talk about deploying 5G in rural areas, but if it's nothing more than the new 5G modulation standard, there's no reason that can't be deployed by refarming existing spectrum over time, just like LTE was deployed.

- Trip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shaferz said:

Other than capacity improvements, can someone put into layman’s terms why all the hype about ‘5g’ ??  I’m in Midtown Atlanta and am seeing frequent speed tests of 150-200mbps download speeds (which is TWICE as fast as our home ISP) and i am trying to understand the use case for consumers.  

5G NR is the new air interface that promises not only capacity improvements but also low latency, more consistent experience. The 5G NR standard is based on OFDM.

https://www.edn.com/5G/4458325/What-is-5G-NR-

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/making-5g-nr-a-commercial-reality.pdf

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shaferz said:

I think T-Mobile has a point with 5G on 600Mhz which is expect to double its relatively slow speeds.  Sprint is expected a 5 fold increase in Band 41, however I personally think the real difference will be in upload speeds given 100Mhz will be available for upload as compared to today's typical 20Mhz that most Sprint customer observe.  T-Mobile's plan given merger approval is to use the spectrum to shift customers around while it upgrades each band to 5NR starting with Band 41 (doing this on a market by market basis).  This is according to publicly available plans and comments.  Since those were released the plans have been revised. 

My guess is the FCC is pushing T-Mobile - Sprint towards a Shentel - nTelos type of deal where coverage must remain the same, customers must end up with a phone in some fashion that fully supports the new network, some divesting of spectrum, and they must report back to the FCC on progress towards these goals.  The only  area that is really new is the MVNO possible conditions.  To placate possible opposition and appeal to FCC stated goals, wireless internet is thrown in, at least for rural areas, which is also a shot across the bow for cable companies getting into wireless.  Doing 5G earlier would allow the new T-Mobile a longer time frame to depreciate these assets.  It is also expected that new "must have" applications will be developed as a result of the increased speeds.

TMobile CEO said that all Sprint bands will be added to TMO towers with PC's being the easiest, so at some point B26 will added for LTE and some B41 for LTE. TMO bands added to Sprint sites also

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

TMobile CEO said that all Sprint bands will be added to TMO towers with PC's being the easiest, so at some point B26 will added for LTE and some B41 for LTE. TMO bands added to Sprint sites also

They will only be adding TMO bands to the 10,000 Sprint sites that they will end up keeping.

6 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

They will only be adding TMO bands to the 10,000 Sprint sites that they will end up keeping.

That was in the initial public plan discussions.  Since then they have submitted at least one more plan.  At this point I would say we have no idea how many separate Sprint sites they will end up keeping.  Don't forget that co-located sites are not counted in his tally. Nor do I assume small cells.  In the Shentel - nTelos Merger the FCC paid attention to coverage areas and said all of the nTelos areas (mostly 3G) must be covered by 4G LTE.  If the same standard is applied to this deal with 1x800 voice calls and T-Mobile gets rid of CDMA which I view as likely based on past actions with MetroPCS...

On 11/14/2018 at 5:04 AM, shaferz said:

Enough capacity improvements to do home broadband over wireless that competes with at least entry level cable tiers (like the one you're on). At least for B41. But better capacity for mobile/better latency are big ones...LTE latency is still a bit above what a wired connection will do and 5G will largely close that gap.

5 minutes ago, iansltx said:

Enough capacity improvements to do home broadband over wireless that competes with at least entry level cable tiers (like the one you're on). At least for B41. But better capacity for mobile/better latency are big ones...LTE latency is still a bit above what a wired connection will do and 5G will largely close that gap.

Idk my home WiFi from Xfinity averages around 10ms, my phone will typically on LTE give me around 20ms hardly noticable.

Just now, BlueAngel said:

Idk my home WiFi from Xfinity averages around 10ms, my phone will typically on LTE give me around 20ms hardly noticable.

I've seen as low as 20ms on LTE but usually it's 30-60ms. If 5G can hit 20ms with 5ms jitter consistently then it basically is a drop-in for wired connectivity (5ms jitter is about what I see for cable, 20ms last-hop is what I saw with DSL).

• Like 3

The way I think of 5G in layman's terms is by following the history of "cord cutting".  Cord cutting allows the user to stop using an expensive wired connection in exchange for performing the same or similar function over a different wire or over a wireless connection they are already paying for thereby saving money.

Many years ago, people started to realize that they could get rid of their wired home telephone and its associated charges and only use their mobile phone or Voice over IP (VOIP) for voice calls.  This "telephone cord cutting" movement was primarily caused by the mobile phone companies offering unlimited calling across the country at no extra charge included in their mobile plans.  Telephone cord cutting has since become a huge trend with most people using their mobile phones but many businesses going to VOIP which changes voice calls from using the voice lines to using a data connection over the internet.  Interesting enough mobile phone calls are also moving to VOIP over the mobile network which is commonly called VoLTE (Voice over LTE).

People more recently started "entertainment cord cutting", which most often means getting rid of their satellite and cable TV subscriptions.  This type of cord cutting for entertainment started a few years ago and that trend is also increasing.  Streaming entertainment is a fast growing trend as can be seen with huge numbers of people subscribing to Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, etc.  Unfortunately the current 4G LTE networks cannot handle huge numbers of people streaming over the mobile network so they have a number of restrictions on data usage such as de-prioritization and bandwidth limits for heavy data users and forcing mobile delivered videos to a lower quality and bandwidth.  This causes most "entertainment cord cutters" to keep their wired internet connection or live with poor streaming quality for their entertainment.

5G "internet cord cutting" allows people to get rid of their wired internet connection and go solely with 5G wireless for their home and their mobile devices.  5G networks promise high enough bandwidth and low enough latency to use it as your primary internet connection for everything the average person would need including running their streaming entertainment at full speed.  Running wires to every house and business in an area is very costly and customers pay higher fees to wired providers partially due to that extra cost.  5G allows similar speeds to wired internet to be delivered to the same location or the same mobile device by a wireless signal.  Running wires to a local broadcast tower is less expensive than running those same wires to every building in the area.  5G opens the possibility of providing wireless high speed internet for less money, adding additional choice of internet providers, and adding wireless internet coverage to areas that have no wired internet available.  5G networks can handle many more simultaneous mobile and fixed location devices and can have much higher bandwidth than is available on today's 4G LTE networks.

• Like 6