Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Marcelo sounds like he is a very busy person.  Hope he will not be distracted.  Being CEO of Sprint will be a full time plus position.  They need all of his attention.

Robert

• Like 10

If this is plan B, im ready for a rebranding in next 12 months.

And good for Hesse. No matter what can be said about sprints weaknesses, the man single-handedly saved sprint from being sold off for pennies or bankrupted years ago. He kept the ship afloat in sprints darkest days with a steady and metered strategy and fiscal discipline.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Sprint must be executing "plan b"

I am sure they aren't happy if dish is really entertaining buying Tmo...

That could really help Tmo with dishes spectrum

It can but Sprint will still triumph with 2.5. Maybe sprint should bid for Aws auction!

If Sprint does acquire US cellular. It would be awesome if they can bring the brand nationwide kind of like metro pcs.

Maybe make US cellular as a combined Boost mobile and Virgin mobile.

What spectrum licenses does tmobile have?

They should start buying the regional carriers one at the time or the duopoly will come for them. Look what happened when the board denied Hesse MetroPCS, tmobile grabbed it.

• Like 2

Many 10x10 mhz PCS A-F markets beg to differ.

I'm in the Chicago market, up until a few weeks ago I knew all about congestion...

I believe with all three bands they have what they need.

I wanna see Tmobile and Sprint go head to head next year!

It's about to get good and it's going to benefit us at the end of the day!

Unless TMO gets bought or has a large cash flow change - they will be in much tougher spot than Sprint. Just my 2 cents. I think the TMO fans are really in denial...

• Like 1

If this is plan B, im ready for a rebranding in next 12 months.

And good for Hesse. No matter what can be said about sprints weaknesses, the man single-handedly saved sprint from being sold off for pennies or bankrupted years ago. He kept the ship afloat in sprints darkest days with a steady and metered strategy and fiscal discipline.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Just my two cents, but I completely agree with everything you said!

Hesse saved Sprint!

• Like 3

Just realized but do you think Masa Son realized he didn't need tmobile. I mean it seems sprint is on pace to add subscribers probably Q4 2014/ Q1 2015.

Maybe he feels Sprint has an actual chance and this is why a lot of changes are happening quickly.

• Like 2

Just realized but do you think Masa Son realized he didn't need tmobile. I mean it seems sprint is on pace to add subscribers probably Q4 2014/ Q1 2015.

Maybe he feels Sprint has an actual chance and this is why a lot of changes are happening quickly.

Yes.

Or perhaps T-Mobile had too much momentum/lovers.

This is great news! Sprint didn't need the distraction of integrating another company. It needs to complete and optimize its NV buildout and then effectively market itself. I'm not sure just calling it "America's Newest Network" and airing odd Framily commercials is enough. Either way I think positive things are going to happen with Sprint.

• Like 1

Like others have said, I think Hesse made about the most he could out of a bad hand and deserves to go off into retirement with his head held high. I'm sure the plan was to stick around until the merger was consummated; without a merger, though, you don't need him as the steady hand at the wheel to offset Legere's, uh, eccentricity among the more sober minded.

As for the network, I think going forward the priorities have to be (not that any of these are particularly innovative ideas):

1. 2.5-2.6 rollout and PCS rebanding where NV is at approaching or at capacity, if necessary incentivizing long-term subscribers to upgrade to new equipment; in particular, try to get devices that can't do ESMR 1x off the network so some data and voice channels on PCS can be rebanded to LTE.
  2. Get 800 LTE tuned and up to full power to get reality up to what the LTE coverage maps show.
  3. Get interim backhaul (microwave or non-scalable) in place where they haven't been able to secure the ideal backhaul, and finish the GMO upgrades to get 1x800 and LTE 800 into the rural areas where it can cut down on roaming expenditures and gain cash flow from CCA partner roaming that's going to Verizon today. Stop LTE upgrades being on the legacy backhaul providers' timetable.
  4. Build out or enlist CCA partners where Sprint is going to lose preferred roaming coverage in 2015, using ex-Nextel towers if still under lease anyway. "There's a map for that" marketing isn't going away.
  5. Build out PCS G block in the western markets where they're in a use-it or lose-it situation.

Of course a lot of this is already underway, but Claure needs to light a fire under Saw to get these items done so they can rebrand after (not before) the network is up to snuff.

• Like 11

Sprint under Hesse leadership made a big mistake suing the cable companies for VoIP patents. This is the reason of the whole backhaul delays.

Yes.

Or perhaps T-Mobile had too much momentum/lovers.

I agree. I think it's a combination of a lot of things and I think masa realized the merger wasn't worth it. It will just delay things and end up sprint paying a break up fee.

I'm in favor of roaming deals. Sprint can roam on 700/1700/2100 and tmobile can roam on 2.5ghz and 800 lte

Sprint under Hesse leadership made a big mistake suing the cable companies for VoIP patents. This is the reason of the whole backhaul delays.

No, Sprint made the mistake of shedding their landline division and getting in bed with the cable cos to begin with. Then not going through and abandoning SpectrumCo so that they were forced to sel it to Verizon. 

• Like 1

No, Sprint made the mistake of shedding their landline division and getting in bed with the cable cos to begin with. Then not going through and abandoning SpectrumCo so that they were forced to sel it to Verizon.

Sure that was a big mistake, but suing the cable companies was a bad decision when you need them for fiber backhaul. The cable companies basically sabotaged sprint fiber deployment for network vision 1.0.in other words the cable cos made sprint look bad.

It's not Sprint fault.

Shedding the landline unit is the condition from FCC in order to approve the nextel merger.

Then FCC in all those merger after that allows ATT/VERIZON keeps their landline unit.