Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Here is something that will make your day, on T-Mobile news, the fan boys are glad that the deal is off, bit pissed that it wasn't official and that there are no break up f fees.

I found it funny that both Magenta & Yellow fans were both glad the deal was off, but for different reasons.

The no breakup fee thing was a no-brainer -- no deal was consummated.

• Like 5

Sprint definitely needs a new CEO to kickstart this Network Vision plan.  Dan Hesse was ok in coming up with the idea of Network Vision but the execution has been frankly poor the last 1.5 years.  Honestly they need a CEO like Legere who is not afraid to go toe to toe with the big 2 and now with Tmobile.

I don't see how a new CEO is going to make Network Vision go any faster. Saw has been at Sprint and we've been some deployment improvements for some time, and Sprint isn't cash-strapped like it was when NV originally started.

Sprint definitely needs a new CEO to kickstart this Network Vision plan.  Dan Hesse was ok in coming up with the idea of Network Vision but the execution has been frankly poor the last 1.5 years.  Honestly they need a CEO like Legere who is not afraid to go toe to toe with the big 2 and now with Tmobile.

The execution seems pretty well off from where I'm sitting.  It was never going to be an instant fix. They have done a lot in a pretty short amount of time.

• Like 4

Sprint stock price plummeting now in after-hours trading. ::sigh:: I will have to debate whether to buy more tomorrow. :(

I'm getting ready to buy more - I bet it bottoms around $5.25-5.50.

• Like 1

My logic is like this, if we can buy S with price lower than what Softbank got, then we should go for it.

• Like 1

Just remember that Softbank might decide the bottom for you (and me).

Last year, Softbank bought hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Sprint shares in the open market when the stock price was around $6.70, bring its ownership stake up from 78% to 80%:  http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/softbank-boosts-stake-sprint-past-80/2013-09-19

Softbank should show its confidence in Sprint (and punish short-sellers) by buying massive amounts of shares in the company tomorrow.

• Like 1

My logic is like this, if we can buy S with price lower than what Softbank got, then we should go for it.

I've been buying at the valleys over the past month. It seems like everyone is ready to put a fork in Sprint and read their corporate eulogy.

Even at $7.50-$8 a share, you'll still make money if you play the long game.

• Like 1

The execution seems pretty well off from where I'm sitting.  It was never going to be an instant fix. They have done a lot in a pretty short amount of time.

Where you are at yes...but there are still many places that have yet to have a lick of NV.  I mean sure there are a ton of sites that are NV equipment ready but without proper backhaul they are just as bad since you can't see the 3G or 4G improvements.  Its hard to gauge if NV has helped in those places data wise if the backhaul is still lacking in all those red dots on the map.

• Like 1

If Tmobile is winning by becoming a mad dog in this market, then Sprint will become a mad tiger.

The stock of Sprint has to go to the hell again and send all investors back to heaven. Let it come sooner than later!

Tell the French company and DISH, S will launch a real price war. Re-do your analysis before you guys bid for TMOBILE!

I don't care about the past network vision. I am concerned about NV 2.0 and the future, and apparently masa is too and realized that Hesse just doesn't want to be in the game anymore. He would much rather be playing golf. If Saw gets promoted to CEO, I'll die. Just die.

• Like 1

I've been buying at the valleys over the past month. It seems like everyone is ready to put a fork in Sprint and read their corporate eulogy.

Even at $7.50-$8 a share, you'll still make money if you play the long game.

I loaded shares and long term calls from last year. Tomorrow and by the end of this week will definitely add more shares.

• Like 1

I don't care about the past network vision. I am concerned about NV 2.0 and the future, and apparently masa is too and realized that Hesse just doesn't want to be in the game anymore. He would much rather be playing golf. If Saw gets promoted to CEO, I'll die. Just die.

Why take Saw out of a job he's excelling at?

• Like 2

I don't care about the past network vision. I am concerned about NV 2.0 and the future, and apparently masa is too and realized that Hesse just doesn't want to be in the game anymore. He would much rather be playing golf.

Dan Hesse got $49 million last year, making him the highest-paid executive in the wireless industry.

Considering his current contract was renewed last year through 2018, Hesse will enjoy leaving early with a truly golden parachute.

• Like 3

Hesse would most likely be part of the board of directors as was said if Tmobile were to merge with Sprint. I think he'll be around but in a position to look back at his work over the years and get a better perspective of things. He's very needed to make sure things go on smoothly under the new leadership but he's the man that was needed 7 - 8 years ago but not now. 

• Like 7

Dan Hesse got $49 million last year, making him the highest-paid executive in the wireless industry.

Considering his current contract was renewed last year through 2018, Hesse will enjoy leaving early with a truly golden parachute.

Maybe I'm off base, maybe SB wanted Dan around to slow talk the Feds to get the merger done? And well that's not needed now. If my way out their idea is true the new person will be from SB

Now comes the sprint/dish merger......

In sprints future dish merger seems more important as wireless has evolved from just a phone service. Different types of "data" is where its going as shown by att/DirecTV buyout.

Sprint/dish has shown this as well.

The last thing sprint needed was to possibly lose the dish partnership/connection to Tmo and the French company.

Sprint should think about buying dish, then u.s. cellular.

I still think we will see some type of "surprise" by the time this sorts itself out.

• Like 1

Let me guess the new CEO.

I think the guy could be the one they just hired from google. Softbank USA announced his job last month.

I think Softbank has been working on PLAN B of this merger for a while.

Who Nikesh Arora? hmmm interesting. But his new title at Softbank is Vice-Chairman and CEO of Internet and Media. Now he could possible do double duty as CEO of Sprint, but if Masa highly admires John Legere (as mentioned him saying in numerous articles), then most likely he will pick someone that would be a gung ho and crazy like Legere.  

Either way, it won't be long (if the rumor is true) to find out who the next CEO is.

TS

Sprint submits bid to purchase US Cellular in 3....2....1....

Edit: if this happens or a native roaming agreement I would probably switch back almost instantly

Interestingly, I was checking my personal ticker earlier today way before this news was announced and I had noticed that USM was up over 16% today  :o and it naturally caught my attention. I thought that perhaps there had been some M&A activity involving them, but nothing of that nature was reported so I shrugged it off. Now this though has me wondering... :scratch::secret:

I did see that they had gotten an upgrade to strong buy from Raymond James, but that still seemed like a huge surge simply from one firm's upgrade.  :unsure:

• Like 3