Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Among all the deal news, not sure if Q2 financial comparison was posted anywhere.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/how-verizon-att-sprint-t-mobile-and-tracfone-stacked-q2

If one can look beyond the Magenta dog-and-pony show, the EBITDA Margins chart is very telling. Sprint and T-Mobile have divergent trajectories where it matters, for any business.

If you use ABPA or average service revenue per account how does Sprint compare?

Among all the deal news, not sure if Q2 financial comparison was posted anywhere.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/how-verizon-att-sprint-t-mobile-and-tracfone-stacked-q2

If one can look beyond the Magenta dog-and-pony show, the EBITDA Margins chart is very telling. Sprint and T-Mobile have divergent trajectories where it matters, for any business.

Wow, it looks like Legere is driving T-Mo's margins right off of a cliff.

polls_TombstoneSWNS_468x526_1758_773007_

• Like 6

IIRC as a provision of the Nextel merger Sprint had to sell of Embarq.

Show me a link or two from the FCC or DOJ that say that.

Edited by bigsnake49

Wow, it looks like Legere is driving T-Mo's margins right off of a cliff.

Many Magentans died to bring us this information -- and these cut rate, unsustainable plans.

AJ

• Like 11

Show me a link or two from the FCC or DOJ that says that.

Lol. Been looking and can't find it. I guess I remembered incorrectly :)

I wonder why they shed it. I wonder if they saw it as a dying business. But then that would bring up the question as to way they did not cash out and sell it versus spinning it off into a company that did not need to maintain a relationship with Sprint. Fun fact...Hesse was CEO of Embarq before he became  Sprints CEO.

Lol. Been looking and can't find it. I guess I remembered incorrectly :)

I wonder why they shed it. I wonder if they saw it as a dying business. But then that would bring up the question as to way they did not cash out and sell it versus spinning it off into a company that did not need to maintain a relationship with Sprint. Fun fact...Hesse was CEO of Embarq before he became Sprints CEO.

Sprint spun off their landline division to focus on wireless. However, there was a mistake in that plan. It's unfortunate too. Kansas City and Las Vegas were 2 of Embarq's biggest markets, and Embarq's was the largest ILEC in the US. Sprint should have kept them.

• Like 2

Sprint spun off their landline division to focus on wireless. However, there was a mistake in that plan. It's unfortunate too. Kansas City and Las Vegas were 2 of Embarq's biggest markets, and Embarq's was the largest ILEC in the US. Sprint should have kept them.

I still wonder why they would spin it off and not sell it outright. Or spin it off as a subsidiary. As it stands they gave it away, got nothing in return and lost the ability to add back-haul on their own in many markets. That ended up being a lose lose proposition.

I still wonder why they would spin it off and not sell it outright. Or spin it off as a subsidiary. As it stands they gave it away, got nothing in return and lost the ability to add back-haul on their own in many markets. That ended up being a lose lose proposition.

So true.

Send me a link with us cellular stating their a partner with the hub please and thanks

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-add-700-mhz-band-12-capabilities-some-new-devices-starting-next-year/2014-03-26

SAN ANTONIO, Texas--Sprint (NYSE:S) announced new partnerships with the Competitive Carriers Association and the NetAmerica Alliance that the carrier hopes will encourage rural wireless carriers to build LTE networks that Sprint's customers will be able to roam onto. Importantly, Sprint said it will add 700 MHz Band 12 capabilities to some of its devices starting next year--spectrum that the carrier itself doesn't own.

Under Sprint's new partnership with the CCA, Sprint will use CCA's data hub to allow CCA members to ink reciprocal roaming agreements with Sprint. Sprint and U.S. Cellular have already conducted successful roaming tests with CCA's data roaming hub.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-to-join-rural-operators-in-nationwide-roaming-hub/

On Thursday, the Competitive Carrier Association will announce at its conference in San Antonio, Texas the launch of a new Data Access Hub, which creates a one-stop shop for voice and data roaming among carriers that will allow operators large and small to create a virtual nationwide network to compete directly against AT&T and Verizon. Sprint, along with a handful of rural and regional wireless operators, are expected to be among the hub's first participating mobile carriers, and T-Mobile said it's also exploring whether to participate.

"US Cellular and Sprint have already tested the hub," said CCA President Steve Berry. "And it's working. We have other carriers signing up to participate as well. Both Sprint and T-Mobile are on the steering committee."

I said this earlier....

This may yet be a blessing in disguise for Sprint as freed up money could lead to buyout of smaller cellular companies to add to it's network expansion as well as  improvements. Turning a profit and ramp up for next years action. Sprint's sugar daddy, Masayoshi Son, at Softbank can make that happen.

On the other hand tmobile future doesn't look at all good. With the failed combined joint spectrum auction blockade by the FCC it will have no means to raise enough money needed and coupled with the fact DT is still pursuing to dump them off to the highest bidder and get out of the US market. Apparently Iliad is supposed to be bidding again along with Dish, Cox, and Charter's help. If this is true, you can say goodbye to Uncarrier as those 3 companies are looking for profit immediately. They;re going to want to raise prices all around to justify their purchase.

Let's see how the story unfolds. Turn the page....

What would be the purpose of him acting like he wanted tmobile?

I don't know. I'm just thinking about Son's reputation as a Chess player who thinks two steps ahead of everybody else and the unenviable position that T-Mo finds itself in right now. Time will tell if I am totally of base here.

I don't know. I'm just thinking about Son's reputation as a Chess player...

If Son is an Asian "Chess" player, I wonder how many a night he has spent in Bangkok...

AJ

• Like 3

Sprint spun them off because they thought the teaming up with cable would be more advantageous. They thought they could sell bundles of wireless service cable and home internet. Can anybody say Pivot? I thought you could! They though they could provide the backbone as well as the switching for all the cable cos home phone offerings. Almost none of them use Sprint anymore. Can anybody remember SpectrumCo? Yep, I do! How about Clearwire? Yep, Comcast, TWC and Brighthouse were investors in that one. So Sprint and the cable cos have had one failed joint venture after another. 

I said this earlier....

This may yet be a blessing in disguise for Sprint as freed up money could lead to buyout of smaller cellular companies to add to it's network expansion as well as  improvements. Turning a profit and ramp up for next years action. Sprint's sugar daddy, Masayoshi Son, at Softbank can make that happen.

On the other hand tmobile future doesn't look at all good. With the failed combined joint spectrum auction blockade by the FCC it will have no means to raise enough money needed and coupled with the fact DT is still pursuing to dump them off to the highest bidder and get out of the US market. Apparently Iliad is supposed to be bidding again along with Dish, Cox, and Charter's help. If this is true, you can say goodbye to Uncarrier as those 3 companies are looking for profit immediately. They;re going to want to raise prices all around to justify their purchase.

Let's see how the story unfolds. Turn the page....

I foresee a period of "skinny cows" for both T-Mobile and Sprint. Sprint will have to lower their prices to compete with T-Mobile. Both will have to spend money they don't have to expand their coverage, particularly in uneconomic areas. Sprint will come up with a 10x10 chunk of spectrum in the 600Mhz auction and will not participate in the AWS-3 auction. Dish will team up with Iliad and buy T-Mobile. T-Mobile or whatever the new company is called will also not participate. Dish will snatch the 1695Mhz-1710MHz uplink for the reserve price. The AWS-3 auction will barely meet its $10B reserve price with AT&T and Verizon basically splitting it. 

I foresee Softbank expanding into Mexico and South America.

• Like 1

I foresee Softbank expanding into Mexico and South America.

By acquiring whom? Or do you think they'll try to expand as a new entrant from the ground up?

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-names-marcelo-claure-as-new-president-and-ceo.htm?view_id=9619

Nothing really directly mentioning bowing out of the talks of merger, but subtle hints saying, 

“While we continue to believe industry consolidation will enhance competitiveness and benefit customers, our focus moving forward will be on making Sprint the most successful carrier.”

However, they do mention the new CEO...It's official!

• Like 1

For the most part, cable companies did a very good job with backhaul and were typically the fastest backhaul providers schedule wise. Microwave and ILECs were typically the slowest at providing backhaul.

Robert

Any delayed microwave builds would have been Sprint's own fault as that was their own builds. The microwave in my area was available literally years before the fiber was.

Are you sure about that? Well, in any meaningful way.

Maybe I should rephrase; In response to Google Fiber, AT&T has been promising 1Gbs broadband connections. Which to me means that they have to bring fiber much closer to the home.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1