Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

It's not Sprint fault.

Shedding the landline unit is the condition from FCC in order to approve the nextel merger.

Then FCC in all those merger after that allows ATT/VERIZON keeps their landline unit.

No such condition from the FCC in the Nextel merger.

It's not Sprint fault.

Shedding the landline unit is the condition from FCC in order to approve the nextel merger.

Then FCC in all those merger after that allows ATT/VERIZON keeps their landline unit.

And now att and vzw, can't dump their land line business fast enough. [emoji56]
  • Like 1

Sure that was a big mistake, but suing the cable companies was a bad decision when you need them for fiber backhaul. The cable companies basically sabotaged sprint fiber deployment for network vision 1.0.in other words the cable cos made sprint look bad.

I don't think that's true. What might be true is that Sprint wanted the backhaul when they wanted it (right after they had deployed the new base stations) so they would not pay for backhaul when not using it (basically JIT backhaul) and the cable cos had different ideas. Oh, yeah, the cable cos were also partners in the Clearwire venture and Sprint basically stiffed them. And now Sprint is flirting around with Dish to offer fixed wireless broadband. Yep the cable cos should be jumping to do business with Sprint.

Edited by bigsnake49

I am a little weary of what Charlie Ergen is going to do. If he jumps in bed with T-Mobile, it will provide them with a lot of spectrum so that T-Mobile won't have to bid in the AWS-3 auction. Then the two, TMobile and Dish can bid independently in the 600Mhz but then combine their winnings. I have long advocated that Sprint get in bed with Dish somehow…if only to keep Dish's spectrum from their competitors.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Is that why AT&T is still deploying UVerse? and Verizon still deploying FIOS?

Verizon isn't deploying FiOS anymore with the exception of places that they are contractually obligated to like NYC.

Is that why AT&T is still deploying UVerse? and Verizon still deploying FIOS?

I could very well be wrong but vzw has halted any new deployments

Att has done the same.

Now I think it is more of stopping copper vs fiber. But yeah....

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/verizons-stalled-fios-expansion-will-drive-consumers-cable/2013-12-12

http://stopthecap.com/2012/02/08/at-atts-rural-broadband-solution-we-dont-have-one/

Verizon isn't deploying FiOS anymore with the exception of places that they are contractually obligated to like NYC.

They are still doing it in Tampa if I am not mistaken. Maybe for new developments...

Sprint under Hesse leadership made a big mistake suing the cable companies for VoIP patents. This is the reason of the whole backhaul delays.

For the most part, cable companies did a very good job with backhaul and were typically the fastest backhaul providers schedule wise.  Microwave and ILECs were typically the slowest at providing backhaul.

Robert

• Like 1

For the most part, cable companies did a very good job with backhaul and were typically the fastest backhaul providers schedule wise.  Microwave and ILECs were typically the slowest at providing backhaul.

Robert

I think Markets have something to do with it too, Omaha got pretty quick backhaul using Cox while Lincoln got it pretty quick using Windstream. 

EDIT: Oops, am I allowed to say that here?

Edited by S4GRU
Comment approved by Administrator

I think Markets have something to do with it too, Omaha got pretty quick backhaul using Cox while Lincoln got it pretty quick using Windstream. 

EDIT: Oops, am I allowed to say that here?

Not all cable companies were good, and not all ILEC's were bad.  I concede I was being very general.

Robert

• Like 1

With all those money saved from the merger, Sprint should be in good position to keep rolling out NV2.0, buy some more spectrum from USCC/C-SPIRE and get the 600mhz spectrum next year.

With all those money saved from the merger, Sprint should be in good position to keep rolling out NV2.0, buy some more spectrum from USCC/C-SPIRE and get the 600mhz spectrum next year.

Why buy spectrum from USCC / C-Spire / CCA members when you can use their spectrum for free and get them to deploy a compatible network for you without a significant of money and effort. :)

Though I wouldn't mind Sprint buying them out to make sure that they don't get bought out by the duopoly.

• Like 5

Don't forget the bulk of the money used to buy tmo was from banks.

Granted - if it's not borrowed, no repayments needed. And or I suppose it leaves less debt for future credit lines...

Sprint under Hesse leadership made a big mistake suing the cable companies for VoIP patents. This is the reason of the whole backhaul delays.

Assuming you aren't him, it looks like you're getting this theory from that bonehead Kyle Traxler aka ITGeeks (his 532nd different user ID over there :rolleyes: ) on DSLR. As has been pointed out by others, that theory is incorrect. A word to the wise, pay little attention to what the guy says about pretty much anything. If it's about Sprint, pay NO attention to what he has to say.

• Like 1

Cablevision/Optimum has been a very good backhaul provider in NYC. You can tell because Brooklyn and the Bronx were the first to launch LTE on Sprint and to this day are the furthest ahead in terms of LTE coverage out of all parts of the city. Most of the sites that remain in Brooklyn and the Bronx are due to permitting problems or trouble getting access to the site. For the most part when a site is accepted at this point, it goes live with LTE within 3 weeks simply because the backhaul is already there.

• Like 1

I can say one thing for sure, Marcelo Claure is already geared up to take on Legere on the social media front if this rumor proves to be true. Not only does he have his own website, he also has a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram account. Now, I'm just waiting to see when he changes his Twitter bio to say CEO of Sprint.

Where you are at yes...but there are still many places that have yet to have a lick of NV.  I mean sure there are a ton of sites that are NV equipment ready but without proper backhaul they are just as bad since you can't see the 3G or 4G improvements.  Its hard to gauge if NV has helped in those places data wise if the backhaul is still lacking in all those red dots on the map.

Case in point: Terre Haute, In...Hesse announced in October 2012 that we were being moved up the list. Fast forward to today and, NOTHING. We are getting .07Mbps down, .20Mbps and 700± pings IF you get any data down at all.

Time-Warner has a monopoly on fiber in Vigo county and as such drag their feet approving anyone for fiber. The towers here have no backhaul and its not looking good in the near future. And if I'm told "3 (or 6) months" one more time I'm going to lose it !

• Like 2

Why buy spectrum from USCC / C-Spire / CCA members when you can use their spectrum for free and get them to deploy a compatible network for you without a significant of money and effort. :)

Though I wouldn't mind Sprint buying them out to make sure that they don't get bought out by the duopoly.

Agree however I don't think USCC is participating with sprints rural hub deal. I think it might be best if Sprint buys them out.

And rebrand us cellular as a combined boost mobile and VM

Just my .02 cents

• Like 1

Agree however I don't think USCC is participating with sprints rural hub deal. I think it might be best if Sprint buys them out.

And rebrand us cellular as a combined boost mobile and VM

Just my .02 cents

USCC was the entity that actually tested the rural hub implementation with Sprint. Their participation in LTE roaming with Sprint is all but guaranteed. The question is how extensive it will be and will they be a part of the rural  roaming partner program. 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A few thoughts,

Honestly I have to be honest and say I don't know what this means in the short term. I have a few thoughts.  I had a feeling that Marcelo Claure would be the new CEO. I lived in Miami for eight years. During that time I saw Claure build Brightstar in to a 10 Billion dollar company. Softbank bought a controlling interest in Brightstar in January. Brightstar is in 50 countries.

Here is a link to Brighstars wiki, look at their capabilities. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightstar_Corporation

In the US sometimes we fail to see the Spanish speaking economy, its in front of our eyes but we ignore it. Son and softbank paid alot of money for Brightstar. I think a large part of that transaction was getting Calure for Sprint. He is young, understands the global wireless market, has personal connections with most of the wireless carriers world wide. I liked Dan Hesse, but under Hesse, it always seemed Sprint was Charlie Brown, and Lucy was always pulling the football out of his reach. Hesse is going to be paid very well to retire. I think Calure will go after the Hispanic market here in the States aggressively. I think Son had a plan B from the start if the Tmobile merger didn't go through. Tmobile does not make a real profit, and it does not have the deep pockets that Softbank has. The German parent company of Tmobile US has been trying to sell it for years. It would have been easier if Sprint and Tmobile merged, but I think everyone is going to be surprised about how well Mr. Calure will be as CEO. Mr. Calure built Brightstar from the ground up. Its going to get very interesting very soon. Im glad Im a  Sprint customer.

• Like 3

Among all the deal news, not sure if Q2 financial comparison was posted anywhere.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/how-verizon-att-sprint-t-mobile-and-tracfone-stacked-q2

If one can look beyond the Magenta dog-and-pony show, the EBITDA Margins chart is very telling. Sprint and T-Mobile have divergent trajectories where it matters, for any business.

Edited by CaptainSlow
  • Like 2

This is an interesting turn of events and I think there is going to be a different announcement, such as a network sharing agreement with T-Mobile and possibly Dish getting involved.

Is there an easy to understand "How To" for buying shares online?  I've been wanting to get at least $1,000 worth of Sprint, just to get my feet wet, but have no idea where to start online :(.  I know fees are involved, but which one will cost me the least in fees and such?  Is E*Trade good?  Scottrade?

I use sharebuilder. If you opt for the monthly subscription there are no buying fees.

USCC was the entity that actually tested the rural hub implementation with Sprint. Their participation in LTE roaming with Sprint is all but guaranteed. The question is how extensive it will be and will they be a part of the rural  roaming partner program. 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Send me a link with us cellular stating their a partner with the hub please and thanks

No, Sprint made the mistake of shedding their landline division and getting in bed with the cable cos to begin with. Then not going through and abandoning SpectrumCo so that they were forced to sel it to Verizon. 

IIRC as a provision of the Nextel merger Sprint had to sell of Embarq.