Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Seems a lot of trolls in every article today about the new ceo, and the tmobile and sprint merger stuff. The funny thing is these individuals don't use sprint, and they keep the bashing to continue.

• Like 1

Not necessarily. I bet Sprint wastes a lot of money on things with little or no return. Sprint needs to be efficient, especially if it wants to lower prices and continue to move toward a consistent high quality network, nationwide.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed, I was (am) getting the two confused! Not to mention I assume the more new subs, will be salesman to how good of a deal and quality the "new" Sprint has become. Much like the un carrier events.

Thanks

Seems a lot of trolls in every article today about the new ceo, and the tmobile and sprint merger stuff. The funny thing is these individuals don't use sprint, and they keep the bashing to continue.

I saw one comment that maintained that there is no LTE in LA. If only they saw the maps on this site :)

:goodpost:

Although I wasn't really for the merger, waffling between hell no and it wouldn't be the end of the world, your post was excellent. I'm disliking Chairman Wheeler more and more. His moves have mostly done more to ensure the Duopoly to reduce competition.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

His true colors are schill. He locksteps the importance of competition (a concern of the white house) while clearly embracing the staus quo so well coveted by the puppeters of his lobbyist past. In reality, his opinion today is entrenching the strangehold he helped create during a time of little regulatory concern for competition. He supported ATT's acquisition of tmobile. So, if the two carriers who were lucky enough to be granted their power cant have it, why would Sprint deserve a shot at joing the ranks? Schill.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bashing Sprint is the easy and lazy thing for the bloggers to do.  Don't get me wrong, Sprint has it's issues, but the way some of these articles are written you would think Sprint is circling the drain and T-Mobile will be right up with ATT and Verizon soon.  The fact that few of these writers point out that T-Mobile has their own issues right now speeks volumes.  But remember most of these writers are based in NY or SF where T-Mobile is strong with their urban core focus.  The bloggers could care less about the fact that if you leave a city you are likely on Edge with T-Mobile if you have coverage at all. 

Also keep in mind a lot of comments are coming from people who probably have not used sprint in some time or are old Nextel customers still bitter they lost their walkie talkies.

My favorate comment from the article linked above:

Nothing about this article gives me high hopes in regard to Sprint. Sprint just sucks. The one time i was fascinated with Sprint/Nextel was the Push-to-Talk feature they had on their phones. Can you imagine an iPhone or Galaxy such-and-such w/ a push-to-talk walkie-talkie feature and how beneficial that would be in case of a disaster post 9/11, Katrina, etc. or some new social interaction that's all the rage? To me, something like THAT should have been Sprint's new "killer" feature. The only thing that will help Sprint now is a visionary at the helm, not this turd. At least T-mobile's CEO is grabbing headlines with straight talk. This guy is Sprint's Stephen Elop. He's in there just long enough to clean up Sprint's books to get it prettier enough to sell and get a golden parachute. Maybe Apple or Same-sung will buy Sprint and change the game again? I'm old, what do i know?

Damm, if Steve Jobs had just given Sprint an iDen PTT iPhone, all would be well now.

• Like 12

So layoffs?

Not necessarily. You can still achieve efficiency without the need to layoff staff. I would imagine, for instance, that there are a lot of redundant processes between SoftBank and Sprint that could be consolidated without the need to lay off any employees.

But, yeah. Probably some layoffs. But probably not a giant axe.

Not necessarily. You can still achieve efficiency without the need to layoff staff. I would imagine, for instance, that there are a lot of redundant processes between SoftBank and Sprint that could be consolidated without the need to lay off any employees.

But, yeah. Probably some layoffs. But probably not a giant axe.

Yup.  The company I work for just went through some cost cutting and we did it with very few layoffs.  Most of it is waste reduction.  It blows your mind how much waste there is in large corporations.  For example we were paying some software company a huge sum of money on a support contract.  Turns out we were not even using the application anymore but nobody bothered to cancel the support contract.  That is one example but there is that kind of stuff in most large companies.

• Like 1

Yup.  The company I work for just went through some cost cutting and we did it with very few layoffs.  Most of it is waste reduction.  It blows your mind how much waste there is in large corporations.  For example we were paying some software company a huge sum of money on a support contract.  Turns out we were not even using the application anymore but nobody bothered to cancel the support contract.  That is one example but there is that kind of stuff in most large companies.

Same. And sometimes it's not even about unloading unused services, it can also be about switching to different/cheaper alternatives. Internal groups can also add waste by perpetuating inefficient processes that only serve to lose time and money.

• Like 1

Same. And sometimes it's not even about unloading unused services, it can also be about switching to different/cheaper alternatives. Internal groups can also add waste by perpetuating inefficient processes that only serve to lose time and money.

Hmmm Ericsson maybe [emoji56]
  • Like 1

My dream is to be paid by a company and do no work.

• Like 2

Bought 500 S @ 5.86 today.  I decided to take a chance, I just don't see softbank not turning this thing around.

Can I borrow a $1?

• Like 4

USCC was the entity that actually tested the rural hub implementation with Sprint. Their participation in LTE roaming with Sprint is all but guaranteed. The question is how extensive it will be and will they be a part of the rural roaming partner program.

I thought USCC's LTE was on Band 12. How many Sprint phones can access that?

I thought USCC's LTE was on Band 12. How many Sprint phones can access that?

They've also been actively deploying Band 5 LTE, which any Band 26 capable Sprint device would be able to use if allowed as 5/26 are subset/supersets.

• Like 2

Nice summation of Hesse reign at Sprint.

http://gigaom.com/2014/08/06/the-hesse-era-at-sprint-was-a-7-year-struggle-with-nextel-and-bad-network-decisions/

No blame game but simply says Masa perpetuated a distraction of similar magnitude in pursuit of T-Mobile, after acquiring Sprint and Clear.

• Like 2

I don't agree with that. Few companies can afford to forgo revenue to make someone look bad because of vengeance. Even Samsung doesn't stop supplying Apple if Apple wants to buy something.

Sure that was a big mistake, but suing the cable companies was a bad decision when you need them for fiber backhaul. The cable companies basically sabotaged sprint fiber deployment for network vision 1.0.in other words the cable cos made sprint look bad.