Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

800 mhz is important and can provide immediate relief in most places, but 2.5GHz is MOST important. There should be literally nothing on this planet except for an equipment delay that stops 2.5 gHz from spreading like the a zombie virus. It can not happen.

• Like 1

800 mhz is important and can provide immediate relief in most places, but 2.5GHz is MOST important. There should be literally nothing on this planet except for an equipment delay that stops 2.5 gHz from spreading like the a zombie virus. It can not happen.

800MHz is much easier and cheaper to deploy. Upgraded towers already have equipment, it's just a matter of activating and optimizing it. 2.5 8T8R needs new equipment, which takes more time and more money.
  • Like 1

Hmm.  How will this change things?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6219-frances-iliad-offering-to-buyout-tmobile-us/

Are we going to have a bidding war?

Softbank only has two choices:

1. Don't do anything (let them have it).

2. Announce the merger and do an all out bidding war.

This is good news to me. Sprint needs to go it alone with their CCA alliance.

T-Mobile is not worth it, at ANY level or reason. CDMA is superior and more efficient for their network, and overall, the have the best of both worlds. Adequate low band spectrum and abundant high-band spectrum for the future data tsunami that is expected within the next 5 years.

T-Mobile has ZERO chances to further expand to rural areas on its own. They have not the spectrum/or the proper alliance for it. Sprint does. Am I wrong?

Sprint is taking all of the right steps to go from worst to 1st. VoLTE especially is their ace card. International roaming from the start, or <6 months after.

• Like 3

The buyout offer from Iliad seems like a lose-lose situation for Sprint/SoftBank.

1. If SoftBank continues its pursuit of T-Mobile, it will have to pay a much higher premium and time.

2. If SoftBank does not buy T-Mobile, it will face an even more powerful T-Mobile with its yet another cash/management infusion (from Europe).

• Like 1

Iliad's bid of €12 billion ($16 billion) fell significantly short of T-Mobile's current market value of $24.8 billion

http://www.zdnet.com/french-telcoms-giant-iliad-bids-for-t-mobile-us-sparks-bidding-war-with-sprint-7000032205/

Iliad would be good for competition. I don't see them winning a bidding war with Masa though.

Looks like Iliad is a mobile telecom reseller in France, similar to say Virgin Mobile or something, where they own no towers but resell other's networks. They also are a smaller company (financially) than even TMUS, so they would have to majorly finance the deal. 

They seem like a rather odd buyer, very little synergy that could be leveraged between the two companies. But if DT is looking only at the numbers, they may very well take the deal and run, finally getting what they want: out of the US market.

I have mixed feelings, I think money to be spent on chasing tmo would be better spent reinvesting back in to sprint directly.

However, I would welcome to the change to a GSM/LTE based network (assuming a combined sprint/tmo would even go that route), and an outside money infused tmo could put some short/mid term mega hurt on sprint as network continues to finish out the upgrades.

The Sprint T-Mobile merger is a deadletter, no matter how much Softbank is willing to bid. It was a long shot proposition that it would get through regulators when Sprint was the only bidder but now that regulators can have T-Mobile sold and keep four wireless carriers a Softbank merger is DOA. For better or worst (and I was just coming around to the idea Sprint T-Mobile) regulators have decided on 4 national players and nearly all of the industries profits in the hands of the big two and that's what we are going to get.

• Like 3

Sigh. If there are other willing and ready buyers for Tmo, this lessens the DOJ/FCC's willingness to forego the 4 carrier market and let softbank have tmo. Im going to go ahead and call it: we are due another decade of 2 large players and 2 small players.

And the two small players will maintain bare minimum coverage

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Sigh. If there are other willing and ready buyers for Tmo, this lessens the DOJ/FCC's willingness to forego the 4 carrier market and let softbank have tmo. Im going to go ahead and call it: we are due another decade of 2 large players and 2 small players.

If Sprint can hold up that long. :(

I'll put 8 billion on 1 please.

Are you just trying to lighten the mood, or do you really have 8 billion lying around? Because if you do, I'll take a $1 billion loan please!

• Like 5

What does that mean?   Hold up for what?  It's not like they are in danger of going bankrupt.

Robert

• Like 3

Based on the money slashed from the capex budget and the "capex efficient" comments from yesterday, we are destined for another period of bare bones spending. By slowing or indefinitely halting things like volte, organic expansion, and 2.5 expansion, Sprint will effectively need to sit on what it has accomplished thus far and try to grow revenue in every way possible. Sprint will stay in the black if the NV costs can spread out more. They will survive!

Let the Frenchies have it!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I am with robert! Let the Frenchies have it, with the cca and all the partners sprint and the nv 2.0 or as some call it 2.5. I think sprint is in a great position to go against att and verizon. It maybe a year or two before people start noticing how great sprint is, but still.

LET THE FRENCHIES Have it

• Like 4

Based on the money slashed from the capex budget and the "capex efficient" comments from yesterday, we are destined for another period of bare bones spending. By slowing or indefinitely halting things like volte, organic expansion, and 2.5 expansion, Sprint will effectively need to sit on what it has accomplished thus far and try to grow revenue in every way possible. Sprint will stay in the black if the NV costs can spread out more. They will survive!

Yeah that has me worried too, although I don't remember them saying that they where slashing cpex, did here the coed efficiency comment and that did get me a little panache. It would be a mistake, for all the progress sprints data network is still not competitive and won't be unless they spend the money to make 2.6 ubiquitous, especially because of the moves other players are making. Vzw and tmobile both have 20x20 in a lot of markets and vzw will have it deployed everywhere they can in short order. AT&T is startint carrier aggregation and Sprint is looking to possiblely slow down 2.5 expansion? It would be a disaster and would basically force them to compete on price which will destroy profits. I see the competitive landscape shifting away from Sprint.

• Like 1

They are now covering 254M, NV1.0 is substantially done. Capex cannot continue at the frenetic pace of the last 2.5 years because there just is not enough things to spend it on. That does not mean they won't spend money but they won't spend money at the same pace. 

But Softbank and Sprint took way too long to make their bid. This is deja vu all over again re: AT&T's bid. If you fart around too long...

If the bid is real, it mean that Sprint needs to tie up with Dish. Dish has some near PCS spectrum that Sprint can use. Dish has some spectrum that Dish can use for fixed broadband. Plenty of synergies!

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 4