Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

KC Star on potential merger http://projects.kansascity.com/2014/sprintfuture/#748216

Sprint spends $15.80 per customer to run their network.

Verizon $6.80, AT&T $9.40, T-Mobile $14.90

that's quite a lot coming down to numbers I don't see how regulators could potentially reject it. From a longevity standpoint the merger is needed for future and continued growth. If not jobs will be eliminated and the company divested if sprint were to go under if Softbank decided the investment at some point was a lose cause.

KC Star on potential merger http://projects.kansascity.com/2014/sprintfuture/#748216

Sprint spends $15.80 per customer to run their network.

Verizon $6.80, AT&T $9.40, T-Mobile $14.90

I'd love to know where they pull these numbers from, and how they calculated them.  

The 'Barclay Capital' source quote hasn't been particularly helpful when searching Google.

I'd love to know where they pull these numbers from, and how they calculated them.  

The 'Barclay Capital' source quote hasn't been particularly helpful when searching Google.

I wonder if it is just some back of the napkin math:  (CAPEX + OPEX) ÷ subs.  Those figures are public info in the quarterly filings.

AJ

Article didn't state that Verizon borrowing billions to buy out Vodafone or what AT&T wants to buy DirecTV which will cost then over 50 billion. So those numbers of the big 2 are being passed on to the customers and offering fewer services.

I also wonder how recent they are. I suspect those numbers where calculated before the iDen shutdown...

• Like 1

Not exactly a merger related article here, but still interesting for the pure speculation of it.  Maybe Sprint could get some competition if they don't announce this merger soon.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/carlos-slim-will-he-go-shopping-in-the-u-s-telecom-market-1405722201

As I said this is simply pure speculation from WSJ, but there isn't any real news on the merger front so enjoy. 

Speculation, but it is fairly well reasoned speculation.

Well, neither Dish nor America Movil are going to make a play for T-Mobile. Why? Because the stock is overvalued right now because of speculation of being acquired by Sprint. Both Carlos Slim and Dish/Ergen like to acquire assets on the cheap and T-Mobile is not cheap.

Edited by bigsnake49

Both Carlos Slim and Dish/Ergen like to acquire assets on the cheap and T-Mobile is not cheap.

Carlos is not slim.  He is heavy, paunchy.  Call him Carlos Heavy Helu.

0306_billionaire-carlos-slim-v3_380x278.

AJ

• Like 2

He is Slim in the same way a 400lb man is called "Tiny".

I thought a 400 lb man is called "Tiny" because that is the way his penis looks to him below his belly.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Slim buying T-Mobile would be the best thing that could happen to Sprint.

In which way?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

In which way?

Slim raising prices and lowering service, potentially chasing out T-Mo leadership, and rebranding to Telcel from T-Mobile.

Slim raising prices and lowering service, potentially chasing out T-Mo leadership, and rebranding to Telcel from T-Mobile.

I wondered that.

Please, please, please, may we have it?  Could it be Christmas in July?

AJ

• Like 2

Darn, I hate this company becoming that pink girly carrier that is full of data hogs. Sprint finally have a great network guy on John Saw, now the mangeta fan boys will take the credit for the new network.

• Like 3

Please, please, please, may we have it? Could it be Christmas in July?

AJ

At the rate we're going, it'll be actual Christmas before we hear anything about any M&A activity...

• Like 1

Jeez sprint is really depressed in the stock.

I just bought more Sprint shares now at $7.64

Still have some cash ready to buy more stock next week if the quarterly report is disastrous.

America Movil just declared that they have no interest in owning any North American carrier:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/am-rica-m-vil-quells-speculation-it-might-purchase-t-mobile/2014-07-22

and Dish cannot afford T-Mobile on their own.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Would Dish be interested in the T-Mobile network after the merger? If Sprint and T-Mobile merge, I am assuming that Sprint will eventually move T-Mobile panels/rru's onto sprint's racks and have to put in the right cards in the basestations. That would mean additional weight on the racks. Will the rack be able to support the additional weight of Dish panels/rru's and will the racks need additional bracing/strenghtening? Will it make more sense for Sprint to tell Dish, here's T-Mobile's network minus the current panels/rrus, you pay the site rent, you buy your own panels/rrus and install them, you operate the network, here's a few thousand of T-Mobile's network engineers/technicians, while you're at it? 

Sprint might be interested in the Dish spectrum that's adjacent to their own Block G, but I don't think they're interested in the rest of spectrum that Dish has or will acquire. I really don't know what is Dish's end game. 

Edited by bigsnake49

Let's say that either Sprint gets cold feet or the merger does not get approved. A combination of either Sprint+Dish or Dish+T-Mobile could be awesome! After the AWS-3 auction Dish could end up with a 25x5 chunk of spectrum at the edge of PCS and a 20x15 chunk at the edge of AWS. Plus 6MHz of 700MHz Block E. Not bad at all! Sprint could keep the 700MHZ and the nearPCS spectrum and add it to PCS G for a healthy 30x10 sliver. They could sell the near AWS spectrum to any of the other three. Now if Dish merges with T-Mobile, the resulting company could end up with all that additional spectrum+T-Mobile's healthy spectrum holdings right now.  While Dish's growth has stalled, they still bring in a healthy profit each quarter. Dish will be able to do a few things to enhance their offering by doing OTT video or VOD and if they merge with Sprint, fixed broadband as well.