Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Would Dish be interested in the T-Mobile network after the merger? If Sprint and T-Mobile merge, I am assuming that Sprint will eventually move T-Mobile panels/rru's onto sprint's racks and have to put in the right cards in the basestations.

T-Mobile upper management believes that it has the technically superior network.  So, if the merger were to happen and Legere were to run the show, I am afraid that the Sprint sites and infrastructure are what would get cannibalized or canned.  Much of Network Vision would have been for naught.

AJ

Were it not for Charlie Ergen, Sprint and Dish would be a great fit imo, much better than Sprint & T-Mobile. I think this is especially true on the heels of At&t's acquisition of DirecTV. Even Hesse said a while back that with the market at the point of saturation it's starting to become all about content. Dish provides content, T-Mobile doesn't. That Dish also has quite a bit of spectrum is just a cherry on top.

But it always comes back to having to deal with Charlie...  :td:

• Like 1

Were it not for Charlie Ergen, Sprint and Dish would be a great fit imo, much better than Sprint & T-Mobile. I think this is especially true on the heels of At&t's acquisition of DirecTV. Even Hesse said a while back that with the market at the point of saturation it's starting to become all about content. Dish provides content, T-Mobile doesn't. That Dish also has quite a bit of spectrum is just a cherry on top.

But it always comes back to having to deal with Charlie...  :td:

I agree with you. It will a great combo...

T-Mobile upper management believes that it has the technically superior network.  So, if the merger were to happen and Legere were to run the show, I am afraid that the Sprint sites and infrastructure are what would get cannibalized or canned.  Much of Network Vision would have been for naught.

AJ

Nah, I don't think so, they would not be that stupid, would they? Granted they have more sites, so Sprint equipment has to be added to the additional sites, but other than that...

But it always comes back to having to deal with Charlie... :td:

True but I don't know if Masa would have Charlie run the New Co company. I'm sure Ergen will be have a place somewhere but not CEO.

I actually prefer Dish and Sprint to merge. Can't they just do a JV with the spectrum auctions?

JV with Dish or JV with T-Mobile?

I actually prefer Dish and Sprint to merge. Can't they just do a JV with the spectrum auctions?

This would also seem like a better fit with Sprint's current business initiatives, many of which don't involve the network or existing business (things like IT consulting and Google Domain App reselling) - http://www.sprint.com/business/

A Dish Merger would allow them to diversify on the consumer side, in a similar manner to how they are trying to diversify on the business side.

This would also seem like a better fit with Sprint's current business initiatives, many of which don't involve the network or existing business (things like IT consulting and Google Domain App reselling) - http://www.sprint.com/business/

A Dish Merger would allow them to diversify on the consumer side, in a similar manner to how they are trying to diversify on the business side.

I have no problems with a Dish merger. I had a problem when Sprint shed their local telephone division. granted it was not a growth sector but it is one that would have contributed some cash to subsidize the wireless side...

I wonder why people are protesting the 49 million pay day Hesse got. I mean, it's a gigantic pay day but doesn't he deserve it for what he did...Ya know, saving the company entirely from disappearing? 

• Like 5

I wonder why people are protesting the 49 million pay day Hesse got. I mean, it's a gigantic pay day but doesn't he deserve it for what he did...Ya know, saving the company entirely from disappearing?

IT'S NOT HIS ANNUAL PAY. It's around $30 million dollars, not $50 million. That $50 million dollar figure is a "package," not his salary.

Edited by EmeraldReporter

I'm aware.

Oh! Sorry.

I do agree with you. Wholeheartedly. I just read it wrong. Guess I'm a bit twitchy, eh?

I mean, why can't people understand that Sprint was forced to use WiMAX for their 4G tech because LTE wasn't ready yet AND because 2.5Ghz freq. had strict buildout requirements?

And they bled, and bled, and kept on bleeding from the operation of iDEN towers?

What about the anticompetitive nature of the Alltel buyout? That was absolutely not fair. To regional carriers AND Sprint? Maybe I'm stretching my argument a bit too far with this last one...

Edited by EmeraldReporter
  • Like 4

Oh! Sorry.

I do agree with you. Wholeheartedly. I just read it wrong. Guess I'm a bit twitchy, eh?

That's alright, no worries. I was just reading the article over in fierce wireless and thought it was funny on how many people blast Hesse for getting his package for essentially saving the company...and saying he doesn't deserve it. These are the same people that say sprint should go bankrupt and disappear so their mighty TMO can rise to the top.. Funny that, because if Sprint disappears, TMO disappears too.

That's alright, no worries. I was just reading the article over in fierce wireless and thought it was funny on how many people blast Hesse for getting his package for essentially saving the company...and saying he doesn't deserve it. These are the same people that say sprint should go bankrupt and disappear so their mighty TMO can rise to the top.. Funny that, because if Sprint disappears, TMO disappears too.

I don't know how keen everyone is on people talking about Dan's Package.... :haha:

• Like 9

I was just reading the article over in fierce wireless and thought it was funny on how many people blast Hesse for getting his package for essentially saving the company...and saying he doesn't deserve it.

Some of the comments over there=  :wall: 

• Like 2

Sprint - tmo-dish is the end game....

Whether or not masa gets it remains the ultimate question.

Dish and sprint partner, masa buys Tmo Comcast picks up the pieces

• Like 1

Oh! Sorry.

I mean, why can't people understand that Sprint was forced to use WiMAX for their 4G tech because LTE wasn't ready yet AND because 2.5Ghz freq. had strict buildout requirements?

And they bled, and bled, and kept on bleeding from the operation of iDEN towers?

What about the anticompetitive nature of the Alltel buyout? That was absolutely not fair. To regional carriers AND Sprint? Maybe I'm stretching my argument a bit too far with this last one...

A lot of people really hate Hesse, and I've always thought it was really unfair. Most other chief  executives would have probably jumped ship. He made lots of very good decisions given the circumstances forced upon him in the scenarios you listed and countless others.

• Like 4

rNnEYIe.gif

You are required to explain this animated GIF.  Does the guy have a massive turd sticking out of his tie?

AJ

You are required to explain this animated GIF.  Does the guy have a massive turd sticking out of his tie?

AJ

that's an excellent question. It actually looks like a bird perched on top of some rock formation...which resembles poo

I wonder how they are going to merge their networks and if they are going to go gsm or cdma?

By the time this merger happens (if it does), it will be time for LTE only devices The legacy networks will just be kept separate and they will sell devices that are LTE only.
  • Like 1

• Cut capex by at least a billion dollars
  • Deprioritized 2.5GHz deployment for 2014 in favor of 800MHz
  • Stated intent to deploy 2.5GHz in "capex-efficient manner" (read: substantially less deployment than originally planned)

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6143-sprint-schedules-2q-2014-earnings-release/?p=344608

Merger related? :/