Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

They will have massive amounts of spectrum, which is bad from a regulatory perspective.

I just want Dish to go away.

They can form an unit to roll out fixed wireless broadband like clearwire. Comcast/IWC merger will reduce broadband provider number by 1. If sprint dish added one, then FCC has least reason to ask them drop any spectrum as a part of it should be considered as asset to run broadband Internet.

They can form an unit to roll out fixed wireless broadband like clearwire. Comcast/IWC merger will reduce broadband provider number by 1. If sprint dish added one, then FCC has least reason to ask them drop any spectrum as a part of it should be considered as asset to run broadband Internet.

The Comcast\TWC merger means nothing as far as competition goes. They compete exactly nowhere.

As a fixed broadband provider that has built my own infrastructure with my own blood, sweat and tears....  I'd rather not another entrant.  ;-)

The Comcast\TWC merger means nothing as far as competition goes. They compete exactly nowhere.

As a fixed broadband provider that has built my own infrastructure with my own blood, sweat and tears.... I'd rather not another entrant. ;-)

When you decide to grow, Pahrump, NV could use another fixed broadband provider. We had 2, but they merged about a month ago, and $45/mo for 3Mbps isn't the greatest deal.

When you decide to grow, Pahrump, NV could use another fixed broadband provider. We had 2, but they merged about a month ago, and $45/mo for 3Mbps isn't the greatest deal.

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/about-provider/wavedirect-telecommunications/nationwide/

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/about-provider/jab-wireless-inc/nationwide/

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/about-provider/ezznet/nationwide/

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/about-provider/switch-communications/nationwide/

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/about-provider/etan-industries/nationwide/

These all should be in your area. WaveDirect and JAB are members of our industry's trade association.

• Like 1

I hope that Dish does not go in with Iliad and acquire T-Mobile. They bring in quite a bit of spectrum, particularly if they get the 1695-1710MHz uplink and make both of their holdings in the 2000-2020 and 2180-2200MHz into downlinks. With their 700Mhz Block E and T-Mobile's Block A holdings particularly after the 600Mhz auction they will be sitting pretty. 

But I think Dish has its eyes on Sprint's EBS/BRS. They want to use it to offer VOD and fixed broadband to their customers. Sprint and Dish need to get this deal done.

I hope that Dish does not go in with Iliad and acquire T-Mobile. They bring in quite a bit of spectrum, particularly if they get the 1695-1710MHz uplink and make both of their holdings in the 2000-2020 and 2180-2200MHz into downlinks. With their 700Mhz Block E and T-Mobile's Block A holdings particularly after the 600Mhz auction they will be sitting pretty.

But I think Dish has its eyes on Sprint's EBS/BRS. They want to use it to offer VOD and fixed broadband to their customers. Sprint and Dish need to get this deal done.

That would certainly stir a lot!

Would charlie even have enough to get close to sprints offer with the Frenchman? Then who calls the shots dish or iilad? Very interesting possibility

OK, so the offer has been rejected. So what does Iliad do now? They have to up their offer to close to $40/share.

The other part of that is sometimes getting overlooked is Softbank is offering to buy an additional 10.1% of the company (at the higher price as well). DT has been rumored to want out of the North American market. Softbank is offering that. Furthermore the finances in comparing deals come into play here as well.

With the additional 10.1%, you either have $40 a share for another 81.5 million shares ($3.2 billion) in hard cash from Masa; or a 10.1% minority stake in a new t-mobile with promises from Iliad that those shares will be worth the same $40/share though "synergy's". Based on the current share price as of close at Friday, Softbank's offer on that 10.1% stake alone is a $536 million premium.

Then of course you have the $3.2 billion difference ($33 vs. $40 for the 56.6% stake) in the actual Iliad offer.

• Like 1

Ok this offer is kind of a joke, Iliad does not have the money. I wonder why Vodafone is not interested in bidding? Maybe because they know it's hard to compete against the duopolists.

Ok this offer is kind of a joke, Iliad does not have the money. I wonder why Vodafone is not interested in bidding? Maybe because they know it's hard to compete against the duopolists.

There is a reason they left and I would say you are dead on since they know how vzw plays first hand....

• Like 2

DT is unimpressed with the Iliad bid and while the regulatory environment would be much more benign, it is concerned not only with the $10B in synergies/cost savings which it considers extremely difficult to achieve but also with the long term viability of the resulting company. DT is afraid that Iliad will not be able to come up with the money for spectrum in the upcoming auctions. DT will retain a 29% interest in the resulting company if Iliad prevails and 15% if Sprint prevails. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/04/us-tmobile-iliad-bid-idUSKBN0G41SA20140804

• Like 1

Please, let Iliad come up with some additional money. Buy them, end this saga of dreaming about what could be "if"

Id also like to see an honest assessment of the actual cost to sprint if it were to decide to deploy coverage in every area that tmo covers outside of sprint coverage.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Please, let Iliad come up with some additional money. Buy them, end this saga of dreaming about what could be "if"

Id also like to see an honest assessment of the actual cost to sprint if it were to decide to deploy coverage in every area that tmo covers outside of sprint coverage.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Well, Sprint only has about 38,000 sites. T-Mobile has 55,000. I have no idea if the additional ones are capacity sites or coverage sites. I am pretty sure that there are some T-Mobiles sites in places that Sprint relies on roaming partners. 

Well, Sprint only has about 38,000 sites. T-Mobile has 55,000. I have no idea if the additional ones are capacity sites or coverage sites. I am pretty sure that there are some T-Mobiles sites in places that Sprint relies on roaming partners.

You need to start counting Sprint's 15,000 additional sites from Clearwire now too. Also, with Swiftel/Shentel, Sprint has right around 40,000 sites.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 8

You need to start counting Sprint's 15,000 additional sites from Clearwire now too. Also, with Swiftel/Shentel, Sprint has right around 40,000 sites.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Didn't we go through this a few months back and Neil Gompa set us straight?

I'm not sure why Neal needs to set us straight how many Sprint sites there are.  Which there are roughly 55,000 now with Clearwire counted.

Robert

• Like 1

I'm not sure why Neal needs to set us straight how many Sprint sites there are. Which there are roughly 55,000 now with Clearwire counted.

Robert

I apologize if this question has been answered but any confirmation that they plan to convert the clearwire sites into full build Network Vision sites? Or at least add 1x voice?

Also I wonder if the CCA sites will be accounted for as well since CCA coverage will be considered as native coverage.

My given name is spelled "Neal". Irish orthography.

I'm not sure why Neal needs to set us straight how many Sprint sites there are.  Which there are roughly 55,000 now with Clearwire counted.

Robert

When we last had this discussion, Sprint did not yet control Clearwire sites. As of now, there are around 52-55K sites under the control of Sprint. However, I expect this number to eventually shrink to about 48-50K after everything is said and done (including decommissioning non-strategic and redundant sites from Clearwire).

T-Mobile's site count has moved up to nearly 60K (it's around 55-57K, I think).

This site has a database of every Sprint site at the sponsor level and every Clear site at the premier sponsor level. We have a pretty darn good idea of how many sites there are.

• Like 2

I was talking about T-Mobile's sites, not Sprint's.

And I was only addressing your count of Sprint sites.  I never was correcting your Tmo number.

Robert

And I was only addressing your count of Sprint sites.  I never was correcting your Tmo number.

Robert

I still have a question that maybe Neil can answer. How many of T-Mobile's sites would actually improve Sprint's coverage.

T-Mobile has refused to open its financial books and other confidential information to Iliad.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/t-mobile-rejects-iliads-request-for-due-diligence-1407260161

This bid isn't serious unless it can get to $40 a share. Otherwise DT can make more money with SoftBank and they can also make money on a higher termination fee if SoftBank goes on the wild goose chase to get this approved, which it likely won't.