Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

My Nexus 5 is stuck on "Turning WiFi on". Factory reset, clean install, different ROM and kernel. Nothing. Nada. As it happens, the warranty expired a month ago. Bought it online in the Sprint Store. Called them and told me to go to a store to have them check it out. (Will take it during the week). Call LG and told me to mail it to them and once they have it inspected call me with an estimate.

Researched online solutions to this issue and most got RMA and a new device. Has anyone got RMA after warranty expired? Has anyone had this problem and solved it? Suggestions welcome.

I drove by some in Central Washington today and found my phone stay at 1X

So I toggle it into airplane mode and back a few times to get my 3G back. It could only parked at EVDO not eHRPD. And it is struggle to stay on EVDO. It keeps jump back to 1X or no signal and then back to EV-DO.

Is it an network outage or device problem?

Is it an network outage or device problem?

Yep, sounds like it..  ;)

In all seriousness, if your phone has been fine, but is suddenly showing wacky network behavior, it's probably a network issue. Try rebooting your device, and if that does not work, try it in another area or wait a day or so. Or you can contact Sprint and see if they are willing to tell you anything. Just be wary that they may jump to the conclusion of a device issue, and that might not necessarily be true.

-Mike

Yep, sounds like it..  ;)

In all seriousness, if your phone has been fine, but is suddenly showing wacky network behavior, it's probably a network issue. Try rebooting your device, and if that does not work, try it in another area or wait a day or so. Or you can contact Sprint and see if they are willing to tell you anything. Just be wary that they may jump to the conclusion of a device issue, and that might not necessarily be true.

-Mike

I drive by the same route on I-90 in central Washington State few weeks ago. Same problem. EVDO only, no eHRPD and sometimes kick back to 1X

Some of you may remember the issues I was having with LTE. Thanks for helping me out.

I hope my explanation can help others to assess their LTE issues.

Currently on: 4th Nexus 5 (3 of them were refurbished; current one is refurbished). 

• 1st and 2nd ones had bleeding/dead pixel issues
  • 3rd one had LTE issues. It was would latch onto B26/41 but not transmit data. Was only transmitting data on B25. In the places that I ran tests, I was hitting 20 mb/s on my 1st N5.
    • When I called Advanced Tech Support, I was told that the three areas that I was frequently in were having "EVDO Problems" and that "latching onto B26/41 yet not transmitting data" was a known "EVDO Problem". I patiently waited for the 3 days they told me they would take. Nothing changed. 
    • I dropped to 3G very often
    • When switching towers when driving/walking to another area, I would lose signal COMPLETELY then have service again. **THIS HAPPENED A LOT
      • I thought it might have been the SIM Card. I swapped SIM Cards (chatting to swap SIM Cards is super convenient) and low and behold, it made a difference: I didn't drop service as much and i stayed on B25 more often.
      • BUT I would still latch B26/41 but NOT TRANSMIT DATA
  • 4th Phone
    • I contacted Google and they were nice enough to send me a 3rd refurbished device. 
    • ****IT WAS THE PHONE, NOT TOWERS OR SIM CARD (in regards to "latching onto B26/41 yet not transmitting data)
    • Now I latch B41 in doors (-112 dBm; 15 mb/s) 60% of the time (switch to B26 10% and B25 30%). 
    • An issue I had with the 1st N5 was dropping to 3G very often and taking forever to go scan back to LTE. When driving from a span of 15 miles, I'm on LTE 90% of the time. I think this may have to do with a new SIM Card (comparing phones 1st and 3rd phone).

I write all this because when I had problems, hearing others problems helped me qualify and isolate the my phone's problem.

• Like 1

Anybody?

5.0.1 doesn't even have factory images for the Nexus 5. Only the Nexus 7 (2013), 9, and 10 have this update so far. I did get the OTA for my Nexus 7 this Sunday, and it's been working fine so far.

5.0.1 doesn't even have factory images for the Nexus 5. Only the Nexus 7 (2013), 9, and 10 have this update so far. I did get the OTA for my Nexus 7 this Sunday, and it's been working fine so far.

Thanks for the insight, I read somewhere that it was coming for the 5 too but have since found that to be inaccurate as confirmed again here by you.

Appreciate the response!

I see that the image for 5.0.1 is out for the Nexus 6, where is it for the 5 dammit!

It's also out for the Nexus 4 too, now that I look closely. The main two that don't have it are the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 (2012).

The latest one has the best tri-band performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I noticed my signal drop a little when i flashed 5.0 on it. all i am going to have in my area for a while is Bands 25 & 26, I used to hold on to LTE longer, now it seems like the phone prefers 3G

Edit: Nevermind appears that the .15 radio has the best performance in my experience so far. i was amazed when i flashed it and it showed about a 10 dbm difference in my signal level. I didnt even think that was possible. anyone know if this radio has any downfalls?

I noticed my signal drop a little when i flashed 5.0 on it. all i am going to have in my area for a while is Bands 25 & 26, I used to hold on to LTE longer, now it seems like the phone prefers 3G

Edit: Nevermind appears that the .15 radio has the best performance in my experience so far. i was amazed when i flashed it and it showed about a 10 dbm difference in my signal level. I didnt even think that was possible. anyone know if this radio has any downfalls?

That radio inflates dBm readings. There is no difference in the actual signal strength. Pitfalls of that radio include being on such low strength LTE signal that the device can't receive eCSFB pages for phone calls and the possibility of connecting to new LTE sites with no eCSFB active and not being able to get calls or texts at all. I don't know why you are seeing more 3G with the new radio. It's exactly the opposite for me. LTE performance went up from KitKat radios.

1.x.x.x.15 has no spark connectivity.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I agree with asomers. I get better performance on the .15 radio. 

On the Lollipop radio I was getting -105 dBm on band 25 in my home with 4 megabit speed tests,  with frequent drops to 3G, whereas the .15 radio gets -95 dBm in the same location and speed tests are roughly double.

I don't know about band 41 on the .15 radio, because it's not deployed here, but I have no trouble picking up band 26 on .15

Edited by lazydog

I agree with asomers. I get better performance on the .15 radio.

On the Lollipop radio I was getting -105 dBm on band 25 in my home with 4 megabit speed tests, with frequent drops to 3G, whereas the .15 radio gets -95 dBm in the same location and speed tests are roughly double.

I don't know about band 41 on the .15 radio, because it's not deployed here, but I have no trouble picking up band 26 on .15

.15 inflates your readings, which does allow you to connect to more fringe signals. You're not actually getting a -95dBm signal. This sometimes means you are connected to a signal to weak to work properly.

It also has no Band 41 connectivity. If you have no B41 in your area, that may not be a concern right now. However, those areas are quickly going to be fewer and fewer.

Sent from my Nexus 5