Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Just now my phone had 2 unexpected reboots. Once when trying to answer a call and the other after hanging up. 

Suddenly the phone displayed the black screen with the colored circles zipping around and then displayed "android" on the screen before restarting.

That's the loading screen, you'll get it every time you re start the phone. I've also had a few random reboots but haven't been able to figure out why.

That's the loading screen, you'll get it every time you re start the phone. I've also had a few random reboots but haven't been able to figure out why.

In the past week, it has happened to me a few times as well -- and I'm still on KitKat.

-Mike

In the past week, it has happened to me a few times as well -- and I'm still on KitKat.

-Mike

Same here. Still on KitKat, but I'm seeing a weird increase in random reboots. Play Services stuff maybe?

Same here. Still on KitKat, but I'm seeing a weird increase in random reboots. Play Services stuff maybe?

That was my thought, since those are basically the only updates that happen without user knowledge or interaction. That's always my first guess. It happened maybe 3-4 times over a 5 day period, but not for several days now.

-Mike

• Like 1

My standby life has taken a hit too, when I look at what's been using the battery it's things that never used to be much of a battery hog even when closed out, like Gmail, Facebook, speedtest, etc. it shows the primary usage of those apps as "cellular radio active" or some such. Anyway I used to drop only like 5-7% overnight now it's around 11%. My actual usage time doesn't seem to have changed but it wasn't bad for me to begin with.

I'll second all those saying those who sideloaded the OTA (or those who applied the standard OTA) might want to consider doing a factory restore. I sideloaded the OTA and had choppiness and unexplainable battery drain, but things seem better after the restore. The whole process took roughly 2 hours, but I do a lot of tinkering with settings, activating encryption, etc., so it probably won't take most users that long to get back where they were.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/02/android-5-0-1-headed-to-aosp-as-build-lrx22c/

new android 5.0.1 update incoming very soon, look out for LRX22C!

Finally. While I have my Nexus 5 unlocked and ready to flash updates anytime, I typically wait for OTAs on my Nexus 7 2013 since it's shared between me and my girlfriend. So my Nexus 5 is enjoying Lollipop for some time now, but the Nexus 7 hasn't gotten an OTA, and with the issues I've heard on the Nexus 7 on XDA, it sounded like Google pulled the OTA to make more bug fixes for the Nexus 7. I hope this is it.

Finally. While I have my Nexus 5 unlocked and ready to flash updates anytime, I typically wait for OTAs on my Nexus 7 2013 since it's shared between me and my girlfriend. So my Nexus 5 is enjoying Lollipop for some time now, but the Nexus 7 hasn't gotten an OTA, and with the issues I've heard on the Nexus 7 on XDA, it sounded like Google pulled the OTA to make more bug fixes for the Nexus 7. I hope this is it.

It doesn't look like the bug fix update I'm waiting for:

Earlier, the Android 5.0.1_r1 sources were released, and from what we can gather from the logs, most, if not all, of the bugs that have been pointed out have not been fixed.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/android-5-0-1_r1-source-images/

Apparently, the Nexus 7 (2013) images are out, but who knows if the OTA will be pulled (or not even sent) again.

Yes I do clear my apps often but it was never a problem at all on Kitkat. Sadly it seems I'm seeing more and more lag or slow downs than just clearing apps now and a lot more app crashes than ever. I was really excited about this update and sadly I've been a little let down but only good can come in the future.

Saw this article I think this is the isseu I've been experiencing.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/25/lollipop-bug-users-reporting-apps-frequently-restart-and-performance-suffers-the-longer-you-go-without-a-restart/

I just had a 14 hr session where sot was 1hr 5 mins before the battery got down to 6%.

Boggles the mind

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Had an 8 hour session with 45 minutes of SOT yesterday... Makes me really miss the Evo LTE battery life.
  • Like 1

Had an 8 hour session with 45 minutes of SOT yesterday... Makes me really miss the Evo LTE battery life.

Battery still seems reasonable to me. Especially for a device that is over a year old now!

Here's a typical day

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/04/6c1cb586bebbbff9fa8220273f5b5b1c.jpg

And a heavy use day (yesterday)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/04/2da093e3d4d8355138f7430c14dc40d1.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5

So for people with battery issues, I seem to have resolved my horrible standby time by 1) uninstalling Facebook messenger 2) disabling location services for a few days.

I have location services on the battery saving setting now mainly because secure locations is useless if you set it to device only because it keeps having to turn GPS on, check, then allow it (which makes it effectively worthless). My problems appear to have been solved and I get the normal 3:30 - 4:15 SOT depending on usage. On a light usage day I will lose about 1-2% battery life per hour on standby. Off charger 3 hours ago and I am at 20 mins on screen with 95% remaining. Nice.

So for people with battery issues, I seem to have resolved my horrible standby time by 1) uninstalling Facebook messenger 2) disabling location services for a few days.

I have location services on the battery saving setting now mainly because secure locations is useless if you set it to device only because it keeps having to turn GPS on, check, then allow it (which makes it effectively worthless). My problems appear to have been solved and I get the normal 3:30 - 4:15 SOT depending on usage. On a light usage day I will lose about 1-2% battery life per hour on standby. Off charger 3 hours ago and I am at 20 mins on screen with 95% remaining. Nice.

If you want to try and keep fb messenger but stop the drain, try greenify. If you're rooted it works really well, but the unrooted version might still do the trick.

If you want to try and keep fb messenger but stop the drain, try greenify. If you're rooted it works really well, but the unrooted version might still do the trick.

Nah, I wasn't using it much anyways and hangouts works better to begin with.

Trying to help out a friend, all the towers within 10 miles of him have 800 3g and B21, and some have B41.

On his N5, he loses signal while driving in that radius for 20% of the time.  Though it was an eCFSB problem, but all towers in his area have been upgraded for several months.  Anyone else having problems with that?

Trying to help out a friend, all the towers within 10 miles of him have 800 3g and B21, and some have B41.

On his N5, he loses signal while driving in that radius for 20% of the time.  Though it was an eCFSB problem, but all towers in his area have been upgraded for several months.  Anyone else having problems with that?

Does he know exactly where he's not getting signal? A 10 mile radius is a pretty large area, as 10 miles is pretty much from home to work for me, yet I know a very large dead spot within that 10 mile distance, mainly because there are no towers there or very few towers can actually reach the areas. Most towers have been NV 3G upgraded and quite a lot are B25 capable, but that dead spot will always be there until either LTE 800 appears (which is not for a couple of years for us Orange County, CA people), or until they add towers there. Maybe your friend is in a similar situation? Otherwise, I would pinpoint the towers he should be getting connected to and start reporting them to Sprint, especially if it's an LTE launched market.