Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Has the update fixed the memory leak?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's been running really smooth with me so far I applied update yesterday afternoon been running since that time, usually I would have to reboot by now but it still too early to tell looking good so far though.
  • Like 1

Received the 5.0.1 update with the .22 baseband. I haven't had a chance to test it out, however my data connection has not dropped as it had over the past week.

I really hope that this fixes an issue I am seeing with connecting to my Wifi hotspot.. Everytime the phone sees the hotspot, it would not autoconnect - Just says 'Wifi network available'. I have to click on it to connect to the hotspot. Already tried the 'Use the network as is' option to no avail..

I have the same problem at my office. Flashed 5.0.1 yesterday and the problem is now solved.

I really hope that this fixes an issue I am seeing with connecting to my Wifi hotspot.. Everytime the phone sees the hotspot, it would not autoconnect - Just says 'Wifi network available'. I have to click on it to connect to the hotspot. Already tried the 'Use the network as is' option to no avail..

Android 5.1 Lollipop is expected to be a rather large update, returning the silent mode missing from Android 5.0, improving system stability, RAM management and battery management, and fixing sudden app closures, Wi-Fi problems and sound problems.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/google-android/3514191/android-5.0-lollipop-release-date-new-features-upgrades-android-5.1/

• Like 2

Android 5.1 Lollipop is expected to be a rather large update, returning the silent mode missing from Android 5.0, improving system stability, RAM management and battery management, and fixing sudden app closures, Wi-Fi problems and sound problems.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/google-android/3514191/android-5.0-lollipop-release-date-new-features-upgrades-android-5.1/

Silent mode wasn't missing, unless we're talking about two different things but silent could be achieved by pressing the volume rocker buttons and then selecting "none" on the screen. I'm on 5.0.1 and verified that nothing has changed with regard to that. Silent still can't be achieved with the rocker buttons alone....unless it's somewhere else in the OS I'm not aware of, the on screen and rocker behavior is the same as before the 5.0.1 release.

Silent mode wasn't missing, unless we're talking about two different things but silent could be achieved by pressing the volume rocker buttons and then selecting "none" on the screen. I'm on 5.0.1 and verified that nothing has changed with regard to that. Silent still can't be achieved with the rocker buttons alone....unless it's somewhere else in the OS I'm not aware of, the on screen and rocker behavior is the same as before the 5.0.1 release.

I think peoples problem with that method is that you can not use the alarm function of the phone by selecting none.  I do not use the alarm so it is business as usual for me.

I think peoples problem with that method is that you can not use the alarm function of the phone by selecting none.  I do not use the alarm so it is business as usual for me.

correct.  people want to have their alarm go off and still not be bugged my other notifications

correct. people want to have their alarm go off and still not be bugged my other notifications

Isn't that what priority mode is for? I haven't played with it much but I think you can configure that into the mode, it sucks to have to so that much configuration for something that used to be a one click and done automatic kind of thing but I believe the desired functionality can be achieved with some effort.

Isn't that what priority mode is for? I haven't played with it much but I think you can configure that into the mode, it sucks to have to so that much configuration for something that used to be a one click and done automatic kind of thing but I believe the desired functionality can be achieved with some effort.

no.  priority works so you can set certain calls to come through etc which is great and i use it.

BUT sometimes you don't want anything to come through and don't want to have to go in there and change the priority settings knowing you're gonna have to go back in and change them back later.

no.  priority works so you can set certain calls to come through etc which is great and i use it.

BUT sometimes you don't want anything to come through and don't want to have to go in there and change the priority settings knowing you're gonna have to go back in and change them back later.

I just looked at it and alarms definitely show under priority. I get what you're saying though that you might have to constantly make changes to the priority settings in order to get the desired outcome. 

Personally I'm not a fan of the "None Priority All" settings but for my purposes it's essentially the same. I can see where this would be a nuisance for some though.

My opinion in the whole Priority mode is that they basically "Windows 8"ed us Android users, i.e. taking something that people know and got used to and moving it somewhere else without any warning and the requirement of prior knowledge of the details of the update or the Googling of the answer to know what to do. For example, pressing down on the volume rocker multiple times to silence the phone is just as standard as finding the "Shutdown" button in the start menu of Windows since Windows 95.

Microsoft decided that Windows 8 will have this new and "awesome" Charms bar, and that's where they'll hide the power options for Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep... Literally, hide. The first time I got Windows 8, I had to Google something as basic as how to shutdown the computer. Yes, it's doable, but was it really necessary to move it? Obviously, public reaction to the power options, among a host of other things, was indisputably negative. Eventually, in the Windows 8.1 Update, they returned the power options to the Start Screen, where it's obvious, and in my opinion, where it belongs.

Same thing with the Silence mode. Yes, it can be achieved still in Lollipop, but was it really necessary to change how it's been done ever since cell phones have existed? Haven't they learned from Windows 8's mistakes that people don't like to change something that should be as basic as silencing the phone?

I apologize for my rant, but even though I'm OK with this Priority mode (since I Googled it and know the answer already), I know a lot of people won't be, simply because of the fact that it takes a Google search to figure it out. I come from a background of web design, even though I'm currently a firmware engineer, and both the Windows 8 power options and Android Lollipop silence mode changes are huge User Interface blunders in my book. The UI's only job is to make things easier for a casual user. The fact that a user has to Google something to do something basic means the UI is failing. With that said, I'll be glad if Silent mode is back in 5.1. Windows 8 learned from their mistakes, it's only natural if Android does as well.

• Like 4

My opinion in the whole Priority mode is that they basically "Windows 8"ed us Android users, i.e. taking something that people know and got used to and moving it somewhere else without any warning and the requirement of prior knowledge of the details of the update or the Googling of the answer to know what to do. For example, pressing down on the volume rocker multiple times to silence the phone is just as standard as finding the "Shutdown" button in the start menu of Windows since Windows 95.

Microsoft decided that Windows 8 will have this new and "awesome" Charms bar, and that's where they'll hide the power options for Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep... Literally, hide. The first time I got Windows 8, I had to Google something as basic as how to shutdown the computer. Yes, it's doable, but was it really necessary to move it? Obviously, public reaction to the power options, among a host of other things, was indisputably negative. Eventually, in the Windows 8.1 Update, they returned the power options to the Start Screen, where it's obvious, and in my opinion, where it belongs.

Same thing with the Silence mode. Yes, it can be achieved still in Lollipop, but was it really necessary to change how it's been done ever since cell phones have existed? Haven't they learned from Windows 8's mistakes that people don't like to change something that should be as basic as silencing the phone?

I apologize for my rant, but even though I'm OK with this Priority mode (since I Googled it and know the answer already), I know a lot of people won't be, simply because of the fact that it takes a Google search to figure it out. I come from a background of web design, even though I'm currently a firmware engineer, and both the Windows 8 power options and Android Lollipop silence mode changes are huge User Interface blunders in my book. The UI's only job is to make things easier for a casual user. The fact that a user has to Google something to do something basic means the UI is failing. With that said, I'll be glad if Silent mode is back in 5.1. Windows 8 learned from their mistakes, it's only natural if Android does as well.

Like I said earlier, silent mode looks the same to me in 5.0.1 as it does it 5.0.....in it's new "Microsoft" location. Great analogy btw.

Unless I'm looking at this wrong, it didn't change with this update.

Like I said earlier, silent mode looks the same to me in 5.0.1 as it does it 5.0.....in it's new "Microsoft" location. Great analogy btw.

Unless I'm looking at this wrong, it didn't change with this update.

You're right, it did not change between 5.0 and 5.0.1. Whenever 5.1 comes out, that's when they said Silent mode will return.

• Like 1

I finally received the update last night and I can vouch that it has greatly improved standby battery life. Normally I would be down to 97% after disconnecting from the charger within minutes. Now however, after 11 hours I'm still at 92% with some light use.

• Like 1

I had a problem like an hour ago with my nexus, it randomly just shut off and when I tried turning it on it wouldn't work, but as soon as I put it on charge it would show the google screen and then shut off in a few seconds. Funny thing is I took off the back cover of the phone and put it back on and it worked. It's this something to worry about?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else out there using the Roam Control app (www.roamctrl.com) on their Nexus 5?

I'm still on Kit Kat and I've found that the app works with Kit Kat radios, but is NOT able to force roam on the Lollipop radios.

Wondering what experiences others are having?

Anyone else out there using the Roam Control app (www.roamctrl.com) on their Nexus 5?

I'm still on Kit Kat and I've found that the app works with Kit Kat radios, but is NOT able to force roam on the Lollipop radios.

Wondering what experiences others are having?

Ive used it on my nexus 5. Seems to be a little flakey to be honest. But, that said I have been able to get it to force roam... Just seems a hard reset is needed every now and then when using it. I THINK I used it with lollipop and it worked albeit was flakey. Once I got it into roam only it didn't have much issue staying there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ive used it on my nexus 5. Seems to be a little flakey to be honest. But, that said I have been able to get it to force roam... Just seems a hard reset is needed every now and then when using it. I THINK I used it with lollipop and it worked albeit was flakey. Once I got it into roam only it didn't have much issue staying there.

Thanks. I've emailed the developer multiple times about my issues, but never get a response.

I'm assuming it does not work at this point on the Nexus 6?

Thanks. I've emailed the developer multiple times about my issues, but never get a response.

I'm assuming it does not work at this point on the Nexus 6?

I haven't tried it on my nexus 6. Obviously, make sure you are rooted. If Roam Ctrl says it won't work with Motorola devices then chances are it won't work on the nexus 6. I noticed that sprint has started enforcing roaming data restrictions on customers. They block your roaming data for the rest of the billing cycle once you reach a limit. For my 1500 mins unlimited data share plan that limit is 400 MB. The better option in my opinion if you have fringe coverage at home or work is to add a signal booster from a company like Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the resell value of the Nexus 5 these days.

http://swappa.com/specs/nexus-5-unlocked

Around $250, but the price is dropping from the looks of it. If you are in the market to seel, you might want to soon™

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having standby battery issues. This is about 11 hours of charger with ten minutes if screen time and no other use. Battery stats, and GSAM don't show anything out of the ordinary and I also don't have any excessive wake locks. Has anyone else dealt with this since lollipop? At first battery life seemed to improve, but it was nowhere as good as kit Kat.

uploadfromtaptalk1422721606628.png