Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I agree with asomers. I get better performance on the .15 radio.

On the Lollipop radio I was getting -105 dBm on band 25 in my home with 4 megabit speed tests, with frequent drops to 3G, whereas the .15 radio gets -95 dBm in the same location and speed tests are roughly double.

I don't know about band 41 on the .15 radio, because it's not deployed here, but I have no trouble picking up band 26 on .15

I completely agree with you guys, I've always had much better performance on .15 regardless of whether the readings are inflated or not. Numbers on the screen are always second to actual performance.

However one thing I did notice recently, and it may have just been complete coincidence, was that my N5 would not connect to 8t8r sites on the .15 radio. Although Clearwire B41 works flawlessly. Just something to keep in mind.

I completely agree with you guys, I've always had much better performance on .15 regardless of whether the readings are inflated or not. Numbers on the screen are always second to actual performance.

However one thing I did notice recently, and it may have just been complete coincidence, was that my N5 would not connect to 8t8r sites on the .15 radio. Although Clearwire B41 works flawlessly. Just something to keep in mind.

I had similar results but only time I would to connect to band 41 was when no band 25 or 26 was present in the area.

I never once connected to B41 (Clear or 8T8R) on the .15 radio in Kansas City. I think it was decided that you could only connect when there was no B26 or B25 available. Which is pretty much never going to happen now when in range of B41.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I never once connected to B41 (Clear or 8T8R) on the .15 radio in Kansas City. I think it was decided that you could only connect when there was no B26 or B25 available. Which is pretty much never going to happen now when in range of B41.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That radio does connect to Band 41: it is currently connecting me to Band 41 with plenty of Band 25 and Band 26 around.  It rarely disconnects me from Band 41 to jump over to Band 25 or Band 26.

That radio does connect to Band 41: it is currently connecting me to Band 41 with plenty of Band 25 and Band 26 around.  It rarely disconnects me from Band 41 to jump over to Band 25 or Band 26.

1.x.x.x.15? Really? Screenshot please? Even now, with some 8T8R in KC, I never connect to B41 with that radio.

1.x.x.x.15? Really? Screenshot please? Even now, with some 8T8R in KC, I never connect to B41 with that radio.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9b7byj93kPgYzhnYlJMckJSTnc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9b7byj93kPgQXZaQmZqajY5aDg/view?usp=sharing

I believe this is the radio.

i got b41 on radio.15 in stl, it was just uncommon.

I haven't used it months though, the stock lollipop radio has been mostly fine for me, although it still gets stuck in 3g mode for longer and more often than my iphone 6+.

The newest radio far surpasses the .15 radio, especially in frequency of picking LTE back up. I drive through an area that has about a 45 second gap where there is no LTE and on the newest radio it'll can and pick LTE back up literally as soon as it possibly can. From a b25 signal, down to 3g, then back to a -138-142dbm b41 signal.

I've used the .15 radio and connected to Clearwire band 41 in STL. It was even connected without eCSFB active.

Was there active B25 in the area?

.15 ignores the eCSFB requirement. That's one of the reasons it hangs onto signals it shouldn't. And if you ever run into a site lacking eCSFB for some reason (few and far between now) you will not be able to make calls or get texts.

Sent from my Nexus 5

i got b41 on radio.15 in stl, it was just uncommon.

I haven't used it months though, the stock lollipop radio has been mostly fine for me, although it still gets stuck in 3g mode for longer and more often than my iphone 6+.

Because B25 was not yet deployed on nearby sites at the time. I would bet you could not pick up B41 in those same areas anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 5

B41 is rolled out almost everyone down here. Never had any problem whatsoever connecting to any clear sites. Not that it should be any surprise but my device actually strongly preferred B41 over B26 or B25 on the .15 radio. There's a post somewhere in the Orlando thread I posted where I connected to nothing but B41 sites from UCF all the way through downtown Orlando.

Would still be on it if it connected to my local 8t8r site.

B41 is rolled out almost everyone down here. Never had any problem whatsoever connecting to any clear sites. Not that it should be any surprise but my device actually strongly preferred B41 over B26 or B25 on the .15 radio. There's a post somewhere in the Orlando thread I posted where I connected to nothing but B41 sites from UCF all the way through downtown Orlando.

Would still be on it if it connected to my local 8t8r site.

I don't understand. I don't remember anyone being able to connect to B41 that widely back when we were actively discussing and testing the different radios. Probably February-March timeline. Most of the reports at the time were that the .15 would only connect when no B25 was present. Only in select markets would it work. Maybe Tampa was one of them. I'm not sure. However, I do know that even now I cannot connect to B41 on the .15 radio in KC, and wasn't able to this summer in St. Louis. I tested it most recently in KC on Thanksgiving. Clear nor 8T8R would connect.

Also, I have to reiterate, there was a reason the .15 radio was never publicly released. It does not function normally.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Was there active B25 in the area?

.15 ignores the eCSFB requirement. That's one of the reasons it hangs onto signals it shouldn't. And if you ever run into a site lacking eCSFB for some reason (few and far between now) you will not be able to make calls or get texts.

Sent from my Nexus 5

At the time I don't believe so. It was downtown before those sites got upgraded from legacy.

Dave I think your confused.

radio 15, the 'unreleased' radio has always picked up b41, at least in stl.

The problem, as has been mentioned, is the over inflated signal for b25 often prevented b41 from connecting unless there were low or no b25.

I have certainly connected to (clear) b41 on radio 15.

I have complained for a long time that the n5, even on the current radio, continue to prefer a closer, overloaded b25 signal vs a further yet less overloaded b41 signal.

I have used side by side, the n5 and m8-h/k and the m8 had consistently better performance for grabbing and holding on to b41 (and b26) vs the n5.

I currently use iphone 6+ and n5 side by side, and the iphone6+ is very similar, in my experience to the m8 grabbing and maintaining a lte connection, vs n5 still drops to 3g in various areas where the 6+ will stay on lte.

I don't understand. I don't remember anyone being able to connect to B41 that widely back when we were actively discussing and testing the different radios. Probably February-March timeline. Most of the reports at the time were that the .15 would only connect when no B25 was present. Only in select markets would it work. Maybe Tampa was one of them. I'm not sure. However, I do know that even now I cannot connect to B41 on the .15 radio in KC, and wasn't able to this summer in St. Louis. I tested it most recently in KC on Thanksgiving. Clear nor 8T8R would connect.

Also, I have to reiterate, there was a reason the .15 radio was never publicly released. It does not function normally.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Pages 211-217 of this thread: .15 connected well to Band 41 according to many.  You were one of the exceptions though.

David, unfortunately, you are wrong on this one.  My Nexus 5 on the .15 baseband firmware connects to band 41 infrequently but still occasionally in the Kansas City metro.

AJ

Im DFW I had b41, even on sites colocated with b25/b26. But It did have the escfb issues which some people didnt like. Even inflated readings it still performed very well.

Im DFW I had b41, even on sites colocated with b25/b26. But It did have the escfb issues which some people didnt like. Even inflated readings it still performed very well.

Clearly I seem to have misremembered something. I swear I had conversations with several people who have had similar experiences. Oh well.

The point remains though, the .15 radio gives bad readings, ignores eCSFB and has, shall we say, inconsistent Spark connectivity. If it works for you, great, but don't count on it everywhere.

If I remember correctly, my experience was with the original stock radio (.17) and 4.4.1 radio (.23) were that b41 was pretty much impossible to get b41.

I believe that .15, and later 2.x radios had usable b41 of various acceptability.

Looking @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/modem-nexus-5-flashable-modems-efs-t2514095

they now have listed an even earlier .12 and .13 radio that I don't recall trying, that may or may not have b41 capabilities.

all the radios through L preview 2 are linked above if anyone really wants to go back through and test any of them.

If I remember correctly, my experience was with the original stock radio (.17) and 4.4.1 radio (.23) were that b41 was pretty much impossible to get b41.

I believe that .15, and later 2.x radios had usable b41 of various acceptability.

Looking @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/modem-nexus-5-flashable-modems-efs-t2514095

they now have listed an even earlier .12 and .13 radio that I don't recall trying, that may or may not have b41 capabilities.

all the radios through L preview 2 are linked above if anyone really wants to go back through and test any of them.

Every radio in the 2.x series has band 41, and every radio in the 1.x series does not (reliably).