Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Yep to those who said they'd be pissed I can just sell the device and get another nexus 5. Or trade for a different device. I haven't played with the note 3 but actually look forward to testing it out, even with it being single band. I am going to play around with the note for a bit. Given that the device was hard bricked and sitting broken I may have benefited some.

Yep to those who said they'd be pissed I can just sell the device and get another nexus 5. Or trade for a different device. I haven't played with the note 3 but actually look forward to testing it out, even with it being single band. I am going to play around with the note for a bit. Given that the device was hard bricked and sitting broken I may have benefited some.

I have a note 3. It's a great phone and very well built. The only problem..., once you've been living on band 26, going back to band 25 with its limitations takes getting used to again.

• Like 2

So I just filed an asurion claim for my nexus 5, paid $99 deductible, and they told me with no nexus 5 in stock I get a note 3, seems like a decent exchange.

I'm surprised it's a Note 3 and not a G2. I mean, a Note 3 is not only Single Band LTE, but the fact that you're getting a phablet as a replacement for an average sized phone is also pretty off-putting. I guess they just have an abundance of refurbished Note 3s sitting around in their warehouse?

• Like 2

I'm surprised it's a Note 3 and not a G2. I mean, a Note 3 is not only Single Band LTE, but the fact that you're getting a phablet as a replacement for an average sized phone is also pretty off-putting. I guess they just have an abundance of refurbished Note 3s sitting around in their warehouse?

Yeah surprised me too. Just the retail price difference confused me. My guess they are trying to get rid of note 3's in prep for the note 4. Good way to advertise people into possibly upgrading into a note series phone.

I just submitted my pre-order for a Note 4. I loved the Note 2 (I love the size), but I really wanted a tri-band phone about a year ago, so I sold my Note 2 online and got the Nexus 5. Here is my post mortem after about a year of owning the Nexus 5.

What I really liked about the Nexus 5:

·       The phone is really zippy. With some of my other phones, I felt like after about 8 months the phone would start to get really laggy. Not the Nexus 5. To this day, it is really fast. Very smooth.

·       I of course love the fast Android OS updates.

·       I still think the phone has a great physical design. I love the very small bezels on the side of the screen.

·       I love the multi-colored LED, when used with Light Flow. I haven’t read anything about the Note 4’s LEDs. I hope it has one. If it doesn’t, that might be a dealbreaker. I use those LEDs to help me keep track at a glance of SMSs, work emails, home emails, calendar reminders, and missed phone calls.

·       I love the HDR camera. I got some great shots, and got many compliments. I love that the HDR is subtle – the pictures do not look fake.

·       I love that it is easy to root. I am never concerned about a locked bootloader or anything like that.

·       I like the fast boot up time.

·       I love the “OK Google” voice hotword on any screen. I use autovoice and have several custom commands. Can other phones do that? I hope so.

·       The screen is awesome. I love the accurate colors. I’m not a fan of the saturated colors on the Samsung. The Note 4 seems to look better than prior Samsung OLED screens.

What I do not like about the Nexus 5:

·       I can’t stand that the volume settings are buried in the settings menu. When I want to turn down the media volume BEFORE playing the media, I have to go into the deep volume settings to get to it. I like Samsung’s solution. When I use the volume rocker, I can press the settings button to the side of the volume meter and individually adjust the various volume settings, without having to dive deep into menus.

·       I hate not having a physical home button. There have been many times when a full-screen app freezes, and I can’t access the home button for 10 seconds or so. Very annoying.

·       The GPS is laggy. Sometimes when I launch Waze, it takes like 3 minutes to get a GPS lock. That seems to have gotten better after a recent update. However, I still have problems in Runkeeper. It sometimes takes about a minute to get a lock.

·       The low light video recorder autofocus is terrible. This might be the most annoying problem. Most of my recordings are of my kids at home, indoors. The Nexus 5 video recorder autofocus cannot keep up. It got better after an update a few months ago, especially because now I can focus on the subject by tapping the screen before I hit record, but it is still bad. I have so many blurry recordings. I’m really hoping the Note 4 is better. I didn’t seem to notice this problem on my Note 2.

·       I am not impressed with battery life. When I am not at my desk at work, and I’m at home or out, my phone goes to about 20% after only 5 or 6 hours of medium to heavy use. I bought an external battery charger and I carry that around in my laptop bag now. Obviously, my Note 4 will be much better with the much bigger battery.

·       I hate not having an SD card. I record a lot of video, and like to load a lot of music on my phone. I have to be careful about what I load, and I have to regularly offload my videos to free up space. I don’t understand why Google does not want us to have an SD card.

·       I miss a removable battery. With the Note 2, I had one battery always charged at home, and another always charged at the office.

·       The HDR photos look great, but require the subject to be still, because it takes so long to get a shot.

·       I wish the headphone volume was a little louder. When I am listening while mowing the lawn, I often cannot hear my audio books and podcasts. 

• Like 4

I just submitted my pre-order for a Note 4. I loved the Note 2 (I love the size), but I really wanted a tri-band phone about a year ago, so I sold my Note 2 online and got the Nexus 5.

You may want to cancel that preorder and wait on official word from the Nexus 5 (2014) / Nexus 6. The Note 4 is not the beast the Note 2 used to be. Stay tuned for more details. [emoji6]

You may want to cancel that preorder and wait on official word from the Nexus 5 (2014) / Nexus 6. The Note 4 is not the beast the Note 2 used to be. Stay tuned for more details. [emoji6]

I thought the note 4 would be around the same RF wise as the GS5. In my opinion the Nexus 5 is performing around the same as my M8, and around the same as my Old LG G2. The stock up-to-date flagship Tri-band devices seem to be performing very similar in my experience lately.
  • Like 1

I thought the note 4 would be around the same RF wise as the GS5. In my opinion the Nexus 5 is performing around the same as my M8, and around the same as my Old LG G2. The stock up-to-date flagship Tri-band devices seem to be performing very similar in my experience lately.

Nope. S5 blows Note 4 away in RF Testing.

I would be careful in making that assertion.  Nothing in the Galaxy Note II's RF output figures showed it to be an exceptional performer, yet it was.  We cannot judge by ERP/EIRP alone.

AJ

• Like 4

I would be careful in making that assertion. Nothing in the Galaxy Note II's RF output figures showed it to be an exceptional performer, yet it was. We cannot judge by ERP/EIRP alone.

AJ

Time will only tell, I guess. I'd still sit this one out in my opinion.

Time will only tell, I guess. I'd still sit this one out in my opinion.

we don't know yet if the N6 will even be available on sprint, although i really hope it is  :rasp:

i suggest he waits as well, won't be long now until we know...

• Like 1

we don't know yet if the N6 will even be available on sprint, although i really hope it is  :rasp:

i suggest he waits as well, won't be long now until we know...

I'll be picking up a N5 immediately then.

I have 14 days to return the Note 4, which will arrive at the earliest on Oct. 17. By the time that 14 days expires, we should have official information about the Nexus 6.

I wanted to pre-order because I want to take advantage of this $200 trade in deal.

I have the Nexus 5 with Android L. Whenever I get B41,no matter the signal strength, it is fairly useless as the upload is around 0. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it an Android L bug for now?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would be careful in making that assertion.  Nothing in the Galaxy Note II's RF output figures showed it to be an exceptional performer, yet it was.  We cannot judge by ERP/EIRP alone.

AJ

Yes, I can attest to the Sprint Note 3 being a stellar performer.  The B25 performance was amazing.  Now the Verizon version on the other hand could not receive a signal if you put the phone in a paper bag.  It was like being in a Faraday cage. 

Yes, I can attest to the Sprint Note 3 being a stellar performer.  The B25 performance was amazing.  Now the Verizon version on the other hand could not receive a signal if you put the phone in a paper bag.  It was like being in a Faraday cage. 

The VZW variant Note 3 has historically bad LTE ERP/EIRP.  That is a clear danger sign.  But middle of the road or even high RF output is not a clear indicator.  And that is why we should not jump to performance conclusions based on only FCC OET test results.

To steer this back on thread topic, the Nexus 5, for example, does not set the world on fire with its RF figures, yet the Nexus 5 does set the world on fire with its real world RF moxie.

AJ

• Like 1

The VZW variant Note 3 has historically bad LTE ERP/EIRP. That is a clear danger sign. But middle of the road or even high RF output is not a clear indicator. And that is why we should not jump to performance conclusions based on only FCC OET test results.

To steer this back on thread topic, the Nexus 5, for example, does not set the world on fire with its RF figures, yet the Nexus 5 does set the world on fire with its real world RF moxie.

AJ

Another example would be the G2. I believe the FCC documents stated the G2 had better output for B25/B41 than the N5 but the N5 is better in both.
  • Like 1