Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Finally the backspace fix ! Haha

So I got switched out to a note 3 today and noticed I have 1x800 a lot more often than I did on my N5.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my nexus wouldn't be picking up on it as frequently?

Because it doesn't "need" it. If there is a reason, it's because the Nexus 5 is such a strong RF performer, and happens to find more usable 1900 MHz signals than the Note 3 has so far.

I feel like a lot of people are starting to believe that being connected to 800 is "better" than being connected to 1900, and I do not feel that is correct. The general benefit of 800 is better signal penetration. If you are already connected to a usable 1900 signal, there is no need to switch to 800. It's not any faster. You're not missing anything.

-Mike

• Like 3

Because it doesn't "need" it. If there is a reason, it's because the Nexus 5 is such a strong RF performer, and happens to find more usable 1900 MHz signals than the Note 3 has so far.

I feel like a lot of people are starting to believe that being connected to 800 is "better" than being connected to 1900 , and I do not feel that is correct. The general benefit of 800 is better signal penetration. If you are already connected to a usable 1900 signal, there is no need to switch to 800. It's not any faster. You're not missing anything.

-Mike

Which makes sense but I noticed a lot more static and other network noise being on rtt than on 800. Wouldn't sprint want to prioritize 800 over rtt for a better network experience?
  • Like 1

Which makes sense but I noticed a lot more static and other network noise being on rtt than on 800. Wouldn't sprint want to prioritize 800 over rtt for a better network experience?

If you're suffering from lousy call quality, that isn't specifically because you are connected on 1900 MHz. Something else is wrong. Absent all other factors, 1900 and 800 calls should sound the same. Sprint has not once indicated that 800 service is expected to be of a higher call quality.

-Mike

If you're suffering from lousy call quality, that isn't specifically because you are connected on 1900 MHz. Something else is wrong. Absent all other factors, 1900 and 800 calls should sound the same. Sprint has not once indicated that 800 service is expected to be of a higher call quality.

-Mike

So what else could I do to help my calls? Not like it matters too much since I have the note now, but when and if I switch back what can I do?

-Mike

Great points you've made. And how many times have we seen people certain that CDMA 800 had lower sound quality or static or buzzing?

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mike, you might have to come up with some different SignalCheck abbreviations. Otherwise, you are going to condition an entire group of newbs to believe that "1xRTT" and "1x800" are two different airlinks -- as evidenced above.

AJ

Mike, you might have to come up with some different SignalCheck abbreviations. Otherwise, you are going to condition an entire group of newbs to believe that "1xRTT" and "1x800" are two different airlinks -- as evidenced above.

AJ

Yeah I noticed that immediately too, <facepalm>..

-Mike

Looks like a new Android update is coming out soon..

KVT49L

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/14/android-4-4-2_r2-kvt49l-shows-up-in-aosp-heres-the-changelog/

This is the update that enables Verizon compatibility on the nexus 7 2013 lte. Nothing to see here...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I went to take a call, signal check was reporting I was on 1xrtt 800 but the phone status bar said roaming. Anyone else notice this? I haven't been able to duplicate it, I didn't even think Syracuse had any 800 deployed. I'll be back on that side of town later today to try again.

Yesterday I went to take a call, signal check was reporting I was on 1xrtt 800 but the phone status bar said roaming. Anyone else notice this? I haven't been able to duplicate it, I didn't even think Syracuse had any 800 deployed. I'll be back on that side of town later today to try again.

I see that all the time. I'll grab a screenshot when I can

Yeah I noticed that immediately too, <facepalm>..

Yes, we have people now who unfortunately think that "RTT" somehow signifies PCS 1900 MHz. It is not the fault of SignalCheck. They just jumped to the wrong conclusion.

AJ

There currently is no 'sparkle' icon for any nexus 5 phones.

while you can enable band 26 and 41, there is apparently still a future update that has not yet been released for full spark compatibility.

The LTE engineering screen will indicate what band you are currently connected.

Even more, the sparkle icon does not mean you are on the Spark network. It just means you are on LTE. At least that is how it works on my LG Flex.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Doesn't the Nexus have HD voice capability? Once you hear that, everything from every other phone is garbage!

Mine almost always says roaming when making/receiving a call. But I don't think it is actually roaming as per my Sprint account page.

Android's telephony structure doesn't deal with the "fallback from LTE to CDMA 1X for calls" concept very well yet. If you put your N5 in LTE-only mode and check your notification pulldown, you will see it shows "Searching for Service" instead of "Sprint", even though you are on Sprint's network. A lot of the CDMA code in place now essentially assumes a 1X connection is always present. I'm sure the false roaming indicator appearing is because of something along those lines; I have also seen it.

-Mike

• Like 2

Doesn't the Nexus have HD voice capability? Once you hear that, everything from every other phone is garbage!

It does but it doesn't always connect that way. When I call my manager it does sound crystal clear though. Both being sprint phones obviously.

Bought a nexus 5 for the wife, and it's driving us both nuts. When trying to place an outgoing call it would take multiple (up to 6) attempts before call would complete. (This while at home, connected to Wi-Fi and global selected for mobile network). I've been reading and understand the fallback issues, but no one mentions outgoing issues... by setting network mode to 3g only seems to help. (Obviously unsatisfactory workaround)

Had a devil of a time just getting it activated on the network... is it possible something it's wrong with this particular device?

Or do I just need to wait like everyone else and hope the update comes through and helps...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by liner81
  • Like 1

I just pulled my N5 out of my pocket and it was doing an Android update that I did not instigate. Came out of nowhere and seemed to download and run itself automatically! Kind of pisses me off.

171 updates total. Just finished booting up. It says Build 49H. Was that the latest before or is this something new?

uploadfromtaptalk1392487781534.jpg

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just pulled my N5 out of my pocket and it was doing an Android update that I did not instigate. Came out of nowhere and seemed to download and run itself automatically! Kind of pisses me off.171 updates total. Just finished booting up. It says Build 49H. Was that the latest before or is this something new?attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1392487781534.jpgRobert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

49h is what is currently out. 49L is supposed to be the new

Bought a nexus 5 for the wife, and it's driving us both nuts. When trying to place an outgoing call it would take multiple (up to 6) attempts before call would complete.

Did the calls actually fail?  Or did you just grow impatient and redial?  Outgoing calls on e/CSFB devices connected to LTE often take 15-20 seconds to initiate because of the fallback to CDMA1X.  Conversely, incoming calls on e/CSFB devices connected to LTE can ring several seconds earlier.

AJ

Did the calls actually fail? Or did you just grow impatient and redial? Outgoing calls on e/CSFB devices connected to LTE often take 15-20 seconds to initiate because of the fallback to CDMA1X. Conversely, incoming calls on e/CSFB devices connected to LTE can ring several seconds earlier.

AJ

On my Nexus 5, it sits on lte and cdma goes through a different non lte tower. Takes an instant to call out, although sometimes after takes a while to pick up a tower after ending a call