Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

The band 41 site does not need to know anything about routing voice calls.  That is the job of e/CSFB through the MSC (i.e. "switch") and DDC (i.e. "4G core").

AJ

Then how does this work when the device is not connected to NV equipment? Still trying to understand how that works. If the device is single radio and is connected to B41 through the old Clearwire basestation and backhaul. Then how does the NV equipment and e/CSFB contact the device?

The band 41 site does not need to know anything about routing voice calls.  That is the job of e/CSFB through the MSC (i.e. "switch") and DDC (i.e. "4G core").

AJ

Does the phone get some sort of data from the B41 site telling the phone to turn to 1x if a call or text comes through while on b41?

Then how does this work when the device is not connected to NV equipment? Still trying to understand how that works. If the device is single radio and is connected to B41 through the old Clearwire basestation and backhaul. Then how does the NV equipment and e/CSFB contact the device?

As Robert has reported, Clearwire base stations are backhauled to the Sprint DDCs, which then communicate with the MSCs.

AJ

• Like 1

Does the phone get some sort of data from the B41 site telling the phone to turn to 1x if a call or text comes through while on b41?

Yup. But that command comes from the MSC via the DDC.

AJ

• Like 2

Yup. But that command comes from the MSC via the DDC.

AJ

Ok that explains it. So the b41 sites should not be affected by Ecsfb?

Ok that explains it. So the b41 sites should not be affected by Ecsfb?

No, they should be affected the same as Sprint LTE sites in that regard.

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

ok thank you for the answers! Always learn stuff from you haha

AJ

Ok I am still trying to wrap my head around this. So if I am connected to b41 and the NV site nearest this site I am connected to is not e/CSFB ready and someone tries to call me will the call come through? If so how does the phone know which site(1x) to connect to in a timely manner? Does the MSC/DDC get location data from the phone and tell it which to connect to? Would B41 even accept a connection if no e/CSFB is present on the closest NV site?

Ok I am still trying to wrap my head around this. So if I am connected to b41 and the NV site nearest this site I am connected to is not e/CSFB ready and someone tries to call me will the call come through? If so how does the phone know which site(1x) to connect to in a timely manner? Does the MSC/DDC get location data from the phone and tell it which to connect to? Would B41 even accept a connection if no e/CSFB is present on the closest NV site?

Hey, I am still trying fully to wrap my brain around e/CSFB because it is a 3GPP technique, not 3GPP2, which is more my specialty.  But on that note, do know that when a CDMA1X mobile receives a call, the paging channel message for the incoming call does not go out to a specific site closest to the mobile.  No, the MSC broadcasts the page across all CDMA1X sites within the zone where the mobile is registered.

I will have to do more digging to confirm, but I expect e/CSFB to do the same.  Once the LTE mobile gets the command to fall back to CDMA1X for an incoming call, it picks up the page coming from all CDMA1X sites within that zone.  Then, the mobile responds to the page over CDMA1X, and a traffic channel is set up on the nearest (well, technically, best Ec/Io) site.

AJ

• Like 3

Magic and witchcraft!

Pretty much.  That these little handheld devices can effectively decode digital messages received at power levels around one billionth of a watt is almost magic.

AJ

• Like 6

Anyone having battery drain issues with Battery Guru? Last friday my phone didn't make it till 5 pm. Battery Guru was not doing it's job, but rather devouring the battery. I uninstalled it, and the phone got through a whole weekend day with over 50% Sat & Sun.

Maybe something went haywire.

-Luis

I had horrible results with guru, both in the learning environment and after.

I uninstalled, but it left many if my sync settings with low intervals which I like.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Also, what is the best sprint LTE anyone has achieved on here? I know we are teased with 60, but I think I've only ever seen maybe 30-35.

I think this is the fastest I've ever seen. I am in a ecsfb hell hole (aka San Francisco) so I probably have the tower to myself. I'm impressed.

attachicon.gif2014-02-10 (1).png

attachicon.gif2014-02-10.png

• Like 2

was that test done with the -108 that is showing on scp?

It was between -82 and -92. I was in my car at the time trying different sectors around the building. On the South side I was only able to get 20mbps, but the north side I got that speedtest. 

• Like 2

So... I've only ever updated radios when they were part of a ROM.  How do i update to .15 (that's a radio, right) only?  And how do i flash back to my current radios if i have problems?  I've done plenty of tweaking of my phones in the past, but i've never actually updated the baseband only...

Yep .15 baseband does everything everyone says it does. I couldn't send outgoing texts, or get any incoming ones for that matter.

Posted Image

Well at least you got to experience the most important thing. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm not letting go of .15 until the official update. The ecsfb issue is pretty much nonexistent in my area except of course my home tower. I really hate that site! But anyway I've noticed the handoff from band 41 to 25 isn't really smooth (wasn't expecting that anyway). The lte symbol will go away for a noticeable amount of time maybe 5 secs. Also I really like how it knows to transitions from band 25 to 41 when I am in the area of it.

• Like 1

has anyone noticed it taking a considerable amount of time to reconnect to LTE after a phone call?  I'm sitting on LTE, make a call, drops to 1x on a close tower for the call, then takes 30sec or more for the radio to connect to either tower again.

This happened tonight in a completely different location too

on .15

has anyone noticed it taking a considerable amount of time to reconnect to LTE after a phone call? I'm sitting on LTE, make a call, drops to 1x on a close tower for the call, then takes 30sec or more for the radio to connect to either tower again.

This happened tonight in a completely different location too

on .15

I've tried a few times over the last two days and it connects back fairly quickly for me.