Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Guest kamiller42

Anyone know how to get rid of the persistent voicemail notification?

I am using GV/Sprint integration and have no need for the VM notif from Sprint. (The GV VM notification works fine.) The Sprint notification always says "New voicemail (2)." I have stopped the dialer process and trying clearing its data, but the notification always comes back. It has also disappeared for a little while when I upgraded to Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2.

I've heard of only 2 solutons to this problem:

1) Call Sprint and tell them to disable the phone #'s VM.

2) Modify some system files.

Are there any other solutions?

Edited by kamiller42

Anyone know how to get rid of the persistent voicemail notification?

Call your Sprint voicemail and clear out all "new" messages.  Otherwise, deal with the persistent notification.  It is just an icon, not a problem.

AJ

There's a setting in the Google voice app to show VM notifications in call log... Turn it off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep, this is an important setting. Turn it off if you want to be be notified of voicemails, otherwise you get none.

Guest kamiller42

I have cleared my voicemail box. The notification persists.

I want to keep the GV VM notification because a) it's accurate (I actually have VM waiting.), B) it integrates into the Android dialer nicely.

The Sprint VM indicator never goes away, even when VM box is empty.

If you do what I suggested I promise a notification will stay appear in the status bar. I had all sorts of issues with the call log sprint VM indicator repeatedly notifying of deleted VMs and stuff. If you use Google voice then use it. Otherwise things get messy. So I would strongly urge trying my suggestion having someone call and leave a VM and then decide if it is an acceptable solution.

Was curious as to how well the lte radio is compared to 3g and I'm very impressed. I'm out in the boonies today and This is my lte signal and 3g signal in the same place

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ptxqdgpt8pp5kf/Screenshot_2013-12-21-18-34-50.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9ufyi9cckkenx9/Screenshot_2013-12-21-18-31-22.png

Nice to be able to hold LTE when my 3g signal is so low. Also my sisters iPhone is parked on 3g while I'm enjoying LTE

Thank you!!!

-Luis

Okay, so I compared my HTC One with the Nexus 5 screens and they are pretty much identical minus the status bar being different and the on screen home/back/recent apps.

P.S. picture was taken with my nexus 10, not the best with lighting focus. Both displays were set at the highest brightness levels. Hope this helps.

I can send an email of the picture. The upload isn't that clear.

Okay, so I compared my HTC One with the Nexus 5 screens and they are pretty much identical minus the status bar being different and the on screen home/back/recent apps.

P.S. picture was taken with my nexus 10, not the best with lighting focus. Both displays were set at the highest brightness levels. Hope this helps.

I can send an email of the picture. The upload isn't that clear.

Yeah then I definitely have a problem with mines cause my N5 is nowhere as white as my One.

-Luis

post-1959-0-90952500-1387674784_thumb.jpg

Ok guys I finally got my Nexus 5 in the mail today and I activated it.. The problem I am having now is that Sprint is not giving me my MSL number so I can turn on bands 26 and 41. They said that they can't release the info for lines still under contract, even if I did buy the phone outright. Any ideas?

Ok guys I finally got my Nexus 5 in the mail today and I activated it.. The problem I am having now is that Sprint is not giving me my MSL number so I can turn on bands 26 and 41. They said that they can't release the info for lines still under contract, even if I did buy the phone outright. Any ideas?

The msl does not carrier unlock the device. You just got a bad rep on the phone. Start up an online chat, tell them you messed up the phone, had to factory reset it, and now it's asking for some "msl" code. They'll give it to you. If not, keep trying.

• Like 1

The msl does not carrier unlock the device. You just got a bad rep on the phone. Start up an online chat, tell them you messed up the phone, had to factory reset it, and now it's asking for some "msl" code. They'll give it to you. If not, keep trying.

Exactly what I did I told them I installed the latest Google update it screwed something up on my phone and I'm trying to do a factory reset and its asking for my msl

Exactly what I did I told them I installed the latest Google update it screwed something up on my phone and I'm trying to do a factory reset and its asking for my msl

You can get your MSL quicker this way... I already had ADB installed so it only took seconds to snag:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2530061

• Like 1

Loving mine N5 even more, especially after the 4.4.2 update. The camera quality really improved and the System volume is finally useable. And with Xposed + the modules, I got almost the same experience as my S4 (except not using Hololauncher on the N5). :)

And it's quite nice having both Sprint & T-Mobile at the same time b/c sometimes when I get shetty Sprint 3G, I'm able to fall back on fast T-Mobile 4G LTE and vice versa. :D

• Like 1

Speaking of swapping sim cards, I learned a few things recently.  If you are trying to activate a new domestic prepaid sim card, make sure your phone is in global mode before putting in the new sim.  It needs to be active on the gsm bands for the initial programming to take place.  It took me a while to activate an H2O wireless sim card because mine was set on LTE.  Without the global setting, it wasn't receiving the initial programming and the sim card wouldn't activate.   I just activated a PTEL prepaid last night, set it to global mode, and it activated in a matter of seconds.  

On a side note, anyone know how many times this little sim drawer can be popped out and not start falling out? 

• Like 1

On a side note, anyone know how many times this little sim drawer can be popped out and not start falling out?

I noticed in a comparison review, the newer revision of the N5 improved the SIM tray so that it sits flusher with the bezel and is less prone to rattling around. I wonder if Google or LG realized a weakness with it and needed to address it due to an issue with it possibly falling out

So how is everyone's luck in connecting to band 41? I know for a fact there is an active band 41 tower that I can see out my window (and confirmed on sprint's spark coverage maps) and my Nexus 5 won't connect to it. I set the band 41 as priority 1, 26 as 2, and 25 as 3. Is there something else I may be missing? or might it be the tower?