Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I'm flashed 4.4.4 :)

Are you flashing again?!  Zip up.

:P

AJ

I wasnt saying it was handled by eCSFB, obviously not, but a similar issue that maybe some software issue tower by tower is not turned on in certain areas?

Other people on Sprint get them, I have gotten them on other devices in this same area. I really can't figure out what the issue is here.

Finally! I have a Verizon G Pad 8.3, tmobile $30 plan, Sprint family and straight talk At&t plan. I am a mobile God with access to all 4 major networks at will!

I sort of do. I have a Nexus 5 on Sprint, a Sony Z Ultra GPE on T-Mobile, a Moto G GPE on Cricket (AT&T's network) and a Nexus 7 on Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well finally got the radio zip to download(b26 showed up while in the bathroom this morning lol). I'm going to give this thing a test drive in some severe fringe areas. Areas where 2.13 wouldn't grab LTE no matter what but .15 grabs a -105-115 dbm signal and pulls at least 4-5mbs download.

The new radio seems to be less prone to the band 26 csfb issue

I saw similar behavior this morning. 

It did a good job of handing off between 25/26/41 and 26 to new towers for my ride.  It also seemed like some of the places I got punted to 3G (pretty sure CSFB issues) yesterday on 1.13 today I rolled with a usable LTE signal (did some tests at <= -110dB and got +3M in lots of cases).  Maybe instead of falling to 3G on CSFB issues it rescans and jumps to 25?  Also had my highest 41 speed today on this radio:

Screenshot_2014-06-20-06-45-56.jpg

I'm definitely liking this radio on my first use - we'll see how more usage goes. (Didn't upgrade kernel yet so I'm at 4.4.3 boot/kernel still)

• Like 4

Good morning everyone,

I have a bit of a problem and could use some help. I have searched and been through the N5 user thread.

I upgraded to the nexus 5 from the galaxy nexus upon hearing how well it performs.  Yet I have been dropping calls in areas where the gnex would just get garbled for a few seconds, and I have not noticed any difference in where i can get a 4g signal. Also the signal seems to jump around alot. go from no service to 3g or LTE every few minutes. 

Sprint is about half done setting up 4g on the towers in my area(Morehead City, NC 28557). Is this why I am having issues? I am not sure when they are going to finish or roll out 800mhz.

Today is the last day i can exchange it, should I get something else? I was thinking GS5 or M8 but i hear neither of them perform exceptionally plus I don't care for touch wiz or ultrapixels.

Sprint recommended that i just set it to 3g.  

My wife and I both have the same phone and she is getting pretty frustrated with it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of putting her back on the gnex until they finish here if the 3g setting won't work for her.

Edited by mikefig

This radio definitely holds 3g better than .15, more along the lines of how 2.13 did. The odd thing is that my n5 is grabbing 1x800 a lot less.

This radio definitely holds 3g better than .15, more along the lines of how 2.13 did. The odd thing is that my n5 is grabbing 1x800 a lot less.

yes i noticed here that it sits on -105 1xRTT when i have a -80 1x800 signal.  not good when trying to place or receive a phone call  :td:

Good morning everyone,

I have a bit of a problem and could use some help. I have searched and been through the N5 user thread.

I upgraded to the nexus 5 from the galaxy nexus upon hearing how well it performs. Yet I have been dropping calls in areas where the gnex would just get garbled for a few seconds, and I have not noticed any difference in where i can get a 4g signal.

Sprint is about half done setting up 4g on the towers in my area(Morehead City, NC 28557). Is this why I am having issues? I am not sure when they are going to finish or roll out 800mhz.

Today is the last day i can exchange it, should I get something else? I was thinking GS5 or M8 but i hear neither of them perform exceptionally plus I don't care for touch wiz or ultrapixels.

Sprint recommended that i just set it to 3g.

My wife and I both have the same phone and she is getting pretty frustrated with it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of putting her back on the gnex until they finish here if the 3g setting won't work for her.

It's not the phone, you have a classic case of ecsfb issues. No triband phone, no current phone, will pick up LTE unless ecsfb is enabled on a tower because it is needed for your phone to receive and make calls. I suggest keeping your n5's, they are far better than any other triband phone out when it comes to RF performance. If you're adventurous I would suggest unlocking, rooting, and flashing the .15 radio (we've explained how numerous times in the thread and there are guides on XDA) due to it ignoring ecsfb issues. If you would like a link or a better explanation feel free to PM me as this thread will probably be closed soon(its been addressed before). Your only other options are to go with an older single band device or get an iPhone (yuck:P).

yes i noticed here that it sits on -105 1xRTT when i have a -80 1x800 signal. not good when trying to place or receive a phone call :td:

Its the opposite for me, I used to get placed on a -105ish 1x800 signal over a -95ish 1xrtt signal. Granted the 1x800 is probably way under utilized out where I'm at.

kojitsari, 

Thank you for the reply, I had read about the ecsfb issues, I just wasn't positive that was what was going on since it does get some LTE and even switches to digital roam frequently. Even right next to my airave occasionally.

If i keep the phone, I will try rooting and flashing the 15 radio, I just didn't want to go that route first if i was going to exchange it.

kojitsari,

Thank you for the reply, I had read about the ecsfb issues, I just wasn't positive that was what was going on since it does get some LTE and even switches to digital roam frequently. Even right next to my airave occasionally.

If i keep the phone, I will try rooting and flashing the 15 radio, I just didn't want to go that route first if i was going to exchange it.

Ah see there's some information that would've been good to know. Triband devices do not play nice with air raves. To get it to work with your air rave put it in 3g preferred (under mobile networks, preferred network type). I'm assuming since you have one that your home internet is good enough that you shouldn't really need to have LTE at your house. That should take care of the issues at your home, as for the other areas it sounds exactly like ecsfb issues.

kojitsari, 

You don't have to root the phone to flash a new modem. You don't even have to unlock it if you don't want to, but it does make it easier if you are unlocked. I haven't rooted yet, just unlocked so I can change the modem on the fly.

I think for me it's official my band 26 antenna is fried. I have zero connection even when it says its connected on the last two radios updates.

I tried the 4.4.4 radio on 4.4.3 at work and quickly went back to .15. At my bench I get 1x800 and 3G on the newest radio with data too slow to stream an am radio station (about 5KBP/s data showing while streaming) but with .15 I get B25 weak but streams fine and a quick YouTube test even worked. Have not seen B26 LTE in a couple days here on any radio. It had eCSFB issues so that may be as intended.

So I had notepad open, and accidentaly dragged the .img file for the .16 baseband. Well It has some interesting stuff if anyone wants to look at it! Say several words like "lte_rrc_capabilities.c:CAP: Supported CA band combo, with Pcell on Band%d and Scell on Band%d."   Might check it out more this evening.

• Like 2