Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

So far I think my phone is defective or has a deathgrip issue cuz my signal is bouncing everywhere and will not hang onto LTE at all. It even dropped out of service for a few seconds. Haven't had this problem since my att iPhone 4!

OTOH even for someone who's pretty much vowed to never leave iOS again im starting to grow attached to this device! Perhaps one day I'll feel comfortable enough to make the switch again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I had an iPhone 5(jailbroken of course) on AT&T before I switched to Sprint and got my n5. I've to say that I love my n5 so much more. Not only is it more useful, the size is just right(I have smallish hands by the way), being able to tweak the kernel to really optimize the phone is awesome, the signal increase is astounding, and I feel like the n5 is better built (even though its plastic and not metal)/better thought out. I honestly don't think I could go back unless they really overhaul the way they run iOS and actually start letting people customize things their selves, basically allowing everything Cydia on iOS.

I thought maybe mine was defective, I know band 17 should be able to be held onto all the time. I'm having it swapped for the backlight bleed so we'll see if its the phone or not.

Mine definitely has a lot of backlight bleed as well. I've also been experiencing severe data connectivity issues. Maybe our phones both came from the same bad batch. How did you go about seeking a replacement?

Mine definitely has a lot of backlight bleed as well. I've also been experiencing severe data connectivity issues. Maybe our phones both came from the same bad batch. How did you go about seeking a replacement?

I called Google and explained that there was "excessive backlight bleed" and she said "we don't normally swap for that reason but if you say it's excessive where it can be seen in a bright room etc then we can swap it" 

They'll send you a replacement right away if you let them put a hold on your card. 

Beware I'm still within the 15 day return period. If your beyond that then IDK what they'll do. 

I returned a nexus 5 that I dropped and rendered the LCD screen broken the glass was ok but the panel died. I returned it under the GPS issue I was having before but was dragging my feet on doing the exchange. That was two months after I got the original nexus. Never got charged after the hold. I did beat up the box before shipping.

But anyways https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/3070579?rd=1 to start the process.

Well Sprint has a 14 day return policy, not Google.  There is a 1 year warranty on the Google Nexus 5, from what I've been led to believe.  So I'm well outside of Sprint's but well inside of Google's.  It's just so shocking to me to hear people say that this phone "is an RF beast" over and over when it is, by far, the worst RF performer of any phone I've ever owned.  Something inside of it must be super jacked up.  I'm sure there are bad batches of any product produced, cell phones or otherwise.  And mine definitely came from one of those batches, if what everyone else is saying is true.

Also i've received countless empty texts from "9479" since the day I bought the phone. It happens, on average, every 3 to 4 hours. Incredibly annoying.

Those are voicemail notifications. Have Sprint Care reprovision voicemail properly on your line, or use Google Voice.

• Like 1

So I went back to my local Sprint store. Spent at least an hour talking to these guys about Sprint, network vision and nv 2.0. They were amazed to hear how much I knew about Sprint's network improvement plans and even more shocked when I explained to them that all of my knowledge came from s4gru.com. so...don't be surprised if you've got some new members very soon! P.s... Yes.. My phone is jacked. They proved it...finally. At least now I know I'm not crazy!

• Like 3

Well Sprint has a 14 day return policy, not Google. There is a 1 year warranty on the Google Nexus 5, from what I've been led to believe. So I'm well outside of Sprint's but well inside of Google's. It's just so shocking to me to hear people say that this phone "is an RF beast" over and over when it is, by far, the worst RF performer of any phone I've ever owned. Something inside of it must be super jacked up. I'm sure there are bad batches of any product produced, cell phones or otherwise. And mine definitely came from one of those batches, if what everyone else is saying is true.

I might be late to the table on this but have you tried a full factory image restore via adb fastboot? I had some wonky behavior on another Nexus 5 that was fixed by a full factory restore via adb fastboot. This is different from a factory reset.

I might be late to the table on this but have you tried a full factory image restore via adb fastboot? I had some wonky behavior on another Nexus 5 that was fixed by a full factory restore via adb fastboot. This is different from a factory reset.

No, I haven't. Out for dinner and clearly overpriced margaritas with friends. When I get home I'll try it out.

No, I haven't. Out for dinner and clearly overpriced margaritas with friends. When I get home I'll try it out.

The command is something along the lines of fastboot full restore (file name) I believe.

I have yet to connect to any B26 or B41 even sitting near a known B41 site. I wonder if the phone is broke. 0.17 radio all bands enabled.

Sent from Nexus 5

I have never connected to B41 on any radio under any conditions, it's still hit and miss depending on the market, so I wouldn't stress out about that. There is almost no B26 in your area, and the hits that were seen, who knows, it may have just been testing, so don't worry about that yet either.

When using Google now with the nexus 5 does anyone see a significant decrease in battery life?

Nope. No significant decrease. I use it all the time, still have at least 30% battery life when I get home for the day. Generally 50% or more, depends on how much time is spent outside of the office.

So I went back to my local Sprint store. Spent at least an hour talking to these guys about Sprint, network vision and nv 2.0. They were amazed to hear how much I knew about Sprint's network improvement plans and even more shocked when I explained to them that all of my knowledge came from s4gru.com. so...don't be surprised if you've got some new members very soon! P.s... Yes.. My phone is jacked. They proved it...finally. At least now I know I'm not crazy!

:tu: :tu: :tu:

• Like 2

When using Google now with the nexus 5 does anyone see a significant decrease in battery life?

I used to see a pretty noticeable difference with battery life with Google Now on pretty much all my android devices since I had the Epic 4G Touch. After going through different forums, I actually learned that it was simply location history that I had to turn off, and Google Now could still be on without sucking all of my battery life.

I now have Google Now on, but location history turned off on my Nexus. To turn it off, you can go to Settings -> Location -> Google Location Reporting ->  Location History -> Off. The other Google Service I know of that sucks battery life is Google+ Auto backup. I turn that off as well, since I'm not as paranoid as some people about keeping pictures saved to Google+ all the time.

I am currently at 93% battery life remaining after 7h 46m 4s  on battery, though I also have mobile data turned off since I work in a huge RF shield and I get pretty crappy Sprint signal in my office. Either way, it pretty much lasts me the whole day and I end up with around 60% left when I go to bed at 1 or 2 am.

• Like 1

I have never connected to B41 on any radio under any conditions, it's still hit and miss depending on the market, so I wouldn't stress out about that. There is almost no B26 in your area, and the hits that were seen, who knows, it may have just been testing, so don't worry about that yet either.

Nope. No significant decrease. I use it all the time, still have at least 30% battery life when I get home for the day. Generally 50% or more, depends on how much time is spent outside of the office.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

I used to see a pretty noticeable difference with battery life with Google Now on pretty much all my android devices since I had the Epic 4G Touch. After going through different forums, I actually learned that it was simply location history that I had to turn off, and Google Now could still be on without sucking all of my battery life.

I now have Google Now on, but location history turned off on my Nexus. To turn it off, you can go to Settings -> Location -> Google Location Reporting ->  Location History -> Off. The other Google Service I know of that sucks battery life is Google+ Auto backup. I turn that off as well, since I'm not as paranoid as some people about keeping pictures saved to Google+ all the time.

I am currently at 93% battery life remaining after 7h 46m 4s  on battery, though I also have mobile data turned off since I work in a huge RF shield and I get pretty crappy Sprint signal in my office. Either way, it pretty much lasts me the whole day and I end up with around 60% left when I go to bed at 1 or 2 am.

What kind of SOT you guys getting?

So I broke down and bought the N5 today to replace my G2.  Everything that has been said about the beastly RF'ness with this device was completely true!

I was picking up B25 in areas where I couldn't even get B26!  :D  (and I know that said tower is broadcasting B26)

Just now got my MSL and enabled B26, so I am excited to see how much (or little) I fall back to 3G.  I tried flashing a PRL without success.  Oh well.  This thing probably never needs 1x800 anyway.

• Like 3

So I broke down and bought the N5 today to replace my G2. Everything that has been said about the beastly RF'ness with this device was completely true!

I was picking up B25 in areas where I couldn't even get B26! :D (and I know that said tower is broadcasting B26)

Just now got my MSL and enabled B26, so I am excited to see how much (or little) I fall back to 3G. I tried flashing a PRL without success. Oh well. This thing probably never needs 1x800 anyway.

Oh don't worry I think 1x800 is the N5 first priority. most of my calls start out on 1x800 on my N5.

Oh don't worry I think 1x800 is the N5 first priority. most of my calls start out on 1x800 on my N5.

the latest PRL i believe put 1xRTT back to 1st priority  :td:

What kind of SOT you guys getting?

I'm, by all means, not a heavy user. I typically only use my phone for a quick look at my twitter feed or Facebook, looking at news related to tech, browsing forums like this one and doing a quick Yelp. At work, I only use it for phone calls, so I typically get ~1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours max. Right now I'm at 68% with 1 hour and 1 minute of screen on time after being off the charger for 14 hours, and in the 4 minutes it took to write this post, it's already down to 66%.

Disabling wifi scanning has helped my battery life tremendously.

WiFi in general seems to be a power sucker on the N5. Probably because all the tri-band phones are still connected to LTE when they are on WiFi.

• Like 1

WiFi in general seems to be a power sucker on the N5. Probably because all the tri-band phones are still connected to LTE when they are on WiFi.

The phone in general is a power sucker. You can watch the meter going down while using it. It almost has to have a custom kernel to get a good day of heavy use. On Sunday, I spent the whole day at home on wifi, and managed around 4.5 hours of SOT with on Franco's kernel with about 20% left.

I have been combing through this forum, so I apologize for asking this since I am sure it has been asked MANY times.  Even tried searching, but with so many results and not having a lot of time since I should be working, I thought I would just post and hope for a quick and simple response.

I bought a N5 yesterday and ended up flashing the .17 radio and a custom PRL and then also enabled B26.  My question is if there is something I am missing for B26 from the N5?  I know it isn't "officially" supported yet, but I have read numerous reports that it works on the N5 by just enabling the band.

So, I am just not completely sure if I'm missing something, or if it is just that the N5's RF performance is so good that it never even needs to look for it!  :D  (might slow down my Milwaukee market premier thread, but there's no such thing as too much LTE reception)