Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

I agree with both of you. Hopefully the Nexus 5 doesn't get that icon, but in the event that it does, then I hope it's only animated during data transfer. Otherwise, it's going to be pretty annoying.

I would say it would get annoying but if you have a non-Nexus phone, it is easy to swap out the Spark icon in the SystemUI.apk file to just the regular 4G LTE icon.  That is what I am going to do when the G2 gets the Spark update.

• Like 1

My N5 arrived at the UPS hub in Earth City, MO about 20-30 minutes from my office but they won't let me come pick it up! Grrrrrr!

Boo Hoo.  I'm Still waiting on a shipping notice so I think your N5 sitting a few minutes away is a far trade off for me. ;)

• Like 1

Try ##data# and LTE record then LTE scan frequency.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

sorry I have the G2 but I couldn't find it.  When you go to ##DATA# on the G2 and hit LTE, that is the page to change to enable/disable LTE bands and set the priority.  There is no where to view the current LTE scan frequency period.

Do you have a screenshot of it on the Nexus 5?

sorry I have the G2 but I couldn't find it.  When you go to ##DATA# on the G2 and hit LTE, that is the page to change to enable/disable LTE bands and set the priority.  There is no where to view the current LTE scan frequency period.

Do you have a screenshot of it on the Nexus 5?

I haven't tried it on the Nexus 5, was just a guess since it has worked on my past few Sprint phones.  When I start playing around with the Nexus I will poke around for it, if it is 10 minutes that is a bit long for my liking.

I have been paying closer attention to when my phone goes into signal search cycles.  It seems to be a lot worse when I am on wifi.  It also seems like an sms can trigger a cycle.  When I disable wifi, the constant cycles stop.  Any one else see this behavior? 

I have been paying closer attention to when my phone goes into signal search cycles.  It seems to be a lot worse when I am on wifi.  It also seems like an sms can trigger a cycle.  When I disable wifi, the constant cycles stop.  Any one else see this behavior? 

We understand the sms part. Since the Nexus 5 has a single antenna, it is connected to LTE by default and when you get call/sms the device drops its data connection and goes to 1x. One the call/sms is complete it goes back to data. I believe either Robert or AJ mentioned earlier in this thread, all this happens nearly instantly. I would assume when going back to data it has to search and connect all over again.

I know it is along these lives, if anyone knows otherwise please fill in the gaps I left out.

• Like 1

We understand the sms part. Since the Nexus 5 has a single antenna, it is connected to LTE by default and when you get call/sms the device drops its data connection and goes to 1x. One the call/sms is complete it goes back to data. I believe either Robert or AJ mentioned earlier in this thread, all this happens nearly instantly. I would assume when going back to data it has to search and connect all over again.

I know it is along these lives, if anyone knows otherwise please fill in the gaps I left out.

I understand the single radio idea, but I am in a location without LTE.  If I am on a 1X/EVDO connection, and send a text there should be no reason to drop the connection and re-establish it.  It also doesn't explain why turning off wifi seems to affect the behavior.  

I understand the single radio idea, but I am in a location without LTE. If I am on a 1X/EVDO connection, and send a text there should be no reason to drop the connection and re-establish it. It also doesn't explain why turning off wifi seems to affect the behavior.

I just cut off WiFi to see if it decreases the disconnects.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've read a thread in another forum about a user saying that they are having issues gracefully switching sim cards between carriers. They claim to be activated and functional on a Sprint SIM, switch to a Tmobile SIM and then when they go back to the Sprint SIM they have no service. Does that make any logical sense to anyone? Is it as simple as doing a profile and PRL update each time you switch SIM cards? My daily driver is Sprint but I had planned to use a tmobile pay as you go SIM in a few isolated instances in the US and my onesimcard.com world SIM internationally for just voice and text but don't want to do that without my eyes wide open to any trouble that is going to cause me switching SIM cards.

I just cut off WiFi to see if it decreases the disconnects.

doing this did increase the times between disconnects. It only does it on LTE and global. If I switch to 3g preferred I have 0 disconnects.

Ufergus, can you confirm switching to 3g eliminate s the problem?

I've read a thread in another forum about a user saying that they are having issues gracefully switching sim cards between carriers. They claim to be activated and functional on a Sprint SIM, switch to a Tmobile SIM and then when they go back to the Sprint SIM they have no service. Does that make any logical sense to anyone? Is it as simple as doing a profile and PRL update each time you switch SIM cards? My daily driver is Sprint but I had planned to use a tmobile pay as you go SIM in a few isolated instances in the US and my onesimcard.com world SIM internationally for just voice and text but don't want to do that without my eyes wide open to any trouble that is going to cause me switching SIM cards.

People in this thread have already said it is as simple of just swapping out Sims.

Have any of you seen the ONE review for the Nexus 5 on Sprint.com? The person gave it a 3 out of 5. 2 people found the review helpful while 29 found it unhelpful haha. The reviewer and 2 others don't know about S4GRU and the issues regarding tri-band while the other 29 are either programmers or S4GRU members!  :rofl:

I looked. To bad one cannot comment on reviews or else I would have

People in this thread have already said it is as simple of just swapping out Sims.

It's hit or miss for me. I think there is an issue if you put in a T-Mobile SIM and then play with the "Mobile Networks" settings panel. If you select T-Mobile as your network, and then forget to switch it back to automatic before swapping your Sprint sim, you will have a problem.

• Like 1

texts actually go through lte now

I looked. To bad one cannot comment on reviews or else I would have

Oh for sure! I would have to. Sprint should use the similar review method like amazon's.

texts actually go through lte now

I did not know that. I thought texts were along the same lines and Volte.

Oh for sure! I would have to. Sprint should use the similar review method like amazon's.

I did not know that. I thought texts were along the same lines and Volte.

i posted in here about a test i performed. ran a speedtest and sent a text to the n5 running the test and it came in and no drop in data and the lte symbol stayed. AJ chimed in and said his in his knowledge eCSFB texts could be sent though LTE.

• Like 1

AJ chimed in and said his in his knowledge eCSFB texts could be sent though LTE.

No, I said that eCSFB appears to allow SMS to be received via LTE. Mobile terminated, not mobile originated.

AJ

I didn't read those as being based on personal experience. I read that as a logical comment on how it should theoretically work. I'm trying to hear from people that have done it.

I didn't read those as being based on personal experience. I read that as a logical comment on how it should theoretically work. I'm trying to hear from people that have done it.

I swapped to a tmobile Sim, no issues. When I swapped back to sprint, no service until I selected global for the network.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind the icon being animated when there is actual traffic active, but yeah it would definitely get annoying if it always animated.

Hopefully the google approved icon on the n5 will be a little more subtle.

In the HTC one max video on Android central it's not animated the whole entire time. So hopefully it's a data transfer thing only and not just an indication you have band 41.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does anyone else miss the glass back of the N4? I can completely understand why they got rid of it considering how easy it cracked, but that was one gorgeous phone.

I loved the aluminum finishes on the HTC Evo LTE and One. Something I wish they would do on a Nexus device.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1