LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Can HD calls happen from cell to landline?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

No

Sprint HD capable handset to another Sprint HD capable handset only.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No

Sprint HD capable handset to another Sprint HD capable handset only.

You can check the debug screen while on a call.

DEBUG can be accessed by dialing ##DEBUG# (##33284#) in the dialer, then going to 1X Engineering. If you are on an HD Voice call it will say "EVRC_NW" under "S0". This shows which audio codeo the phone is using for the call.

I just made a test call on my G2 to look right now and happened to get an HD Voice call started, I've never gotten an HD Voice call that I know of before (I don't call much). :P

Both phones have to be using a 3G Network Vision-enabled tower (as this has the equipment to support the codec), and both phones have to support HD Voice (as they have to support the wider-band codec). If either of these conditions are not met, the phones will fallback to an older codec instead.

With that being said then EVRC_NW can't mean HD call because I get that on Cell to Landline phones also.

With that being said then EVRC_NW can't mean HD call because I get that on Cell to Landline phones also.

Well, the EVRC-NW codec is the one used for HD Voice. EVRC-B is used for standard calls. Another older codec may be forced by the network if a tower is extremely overloaded and can't handle even that bandwidth for all of the calls. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5726/sprint-hd-voice-on-htc-evo-4g-lte-is-evrcnw-1x-advanced

The only thing I can think is that the phone may still use the EVRC-NW codec on its end if the tower says the bandwidth is available, and then it is converted network-side for transmission to the other end. The EVRC-NW codec can handle everything the EVRC-B one can, plus additional, so it can be encapsulated entirely within the EVRC-NW transmission to the HD-capable handset.

I've never seen an EVRC-NW codec listed on a call when it isn't an HD Voice call happening. The call I made the other day was with two HD Voice capable devices on a 3G Network Vision enabled tower, so it should have been HD.

The only thing that makes sense is something network-side converting it over. Perhaps due to landline calls not supporting either the EVRC-B or EVRC-NW codec and thus needing conversion anyway so it lets the phone transmit what it wants? I am only semi-educated in regards to codecs and know very little about telecom codec specifically so I don't know what is used beyond these two specifically.

• Like 1

4GV apparently is EVRC, according to Wikipedia. NB means narrowband, which is what EVRC-B is. The 4GV suite also consists EVRC-WB, whish is the wideband codec.

EVRC_NW stands for Narrow/Wideband, so it is capable of both the narrowband and wideband spectrum with the same codec, the wideband capability is what allows HD Voice.

4GV apparently isEVRC, according to Wikipedia. NB means narrowband, which is what EVRC-B is. The 4GV suite also consists EVRC-WB, whish is the wideband codec.

EVRC_NW stands for Narrow/Wideband, so it is capable of both the narrowband and wideband spectrum with the same codec, the wideband capability is what allows HD Voice.

Be nice if it just HD but that is to easy. So in reality the real way to verify is to check the map and see if NV has occurred on the two tower and clarity it sounds like.

Trust me, my first HD voice call was today. You'll notice the difference right away. We were on neighboring cell sites, LG G2 to single band GS4. Screenshot -> http://goo.gl/w9nao9

I've yet to experience a HD call as many of my friends have other carriers. On the other hand went to my local Sprint store about my phone dropping 3g and voice for a few seconds then comes back fine. Guy said it has to be my phone ???? oh well

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

• Like 1

Yes, 4GV-NB is a narrowband codec, it is not capable of the extended range that HD Voice requires. It just allows better network-management tan previous codecs from what I've been able to read so far.

EVRC-NW we know for certain is a narrowband/wideband codec capable of essentially providing both EVRC-B and EVRC-WB simultaneously. So the rate can drop to a narrower band if the tower gets overloaded versus having to switch codecs (I do not know if switching codecs would require the call to drop).

• Like 1

Trust me, my first HD voice call was today. You'll notice the difference right away. We were on neighboring cell sites, LG G2 to single band GS4. Screenshot -> http://goo.gl/w9nao9

I think I've had one but it is hard to confirm if every call says the same as your S0

• Like 1

I think I've had one but it is hard to confirm if every call says the same as your S0

Well I've noticed that 4GNV or something like that pop up when I've called landlines and Verizon iPhones and even an AT&T phone. Just a few days I've only seen 8K EVRC so something went live here. 

• Like 1

First pic is non peak hours and second one peak hours at my home site which is legacy. I get in the 60s signal wise on 3G upstairs and low 80s downstairs. I can't imagine how good my signal will be after it gets a 3g/lte upgrade as in every case the 3g signal increases up to around -10 dbm. Places where I would roam or get no coverage I get over 3G now and that's just 1900 3G. If my home tower was a spark tower I would be in mobile heaven lol.usedy7e7.jpg9eze5a8e.jpg

I recently am getting no 800 showing on my signal check.  My friend who also has a G2 was showing 800 all night while I had none.   The corporate Sprint store said they couldn't even test to see if there was a problem with my 800 reception.  Any input?

First pic is non peak hours and second one peak hours at my home site which is legacy. I get in the 60s signal wise on 3G upstairs and low 80s downstairs. I can't imagine how good my signal will be after it gets a 3g/lte upgrade as in every case the 3g signal increases up to around -10 dbm. Places where I would roam or get no coverage I get over 3G now and that's just 1900 3G. If my home tower was a spark tower I would be in mobile heaven lol.usedy7e7.jpg9eze5a8e.jpg

Question: Why is the 3g icon displayed as the old compared to the current one on the G2 which is 3g in a circular ring.

Anyone notice their 3g and voice drop for about 10 or so seconds then come back, but if I switch from lte/cdma to just cdma it won't do it. It was only doing it every so often but lately it's been doing it more and more to the point that trying to do anything that requires data useless. Think it might be the phone or network?

Anyone notice their 3g and voice drop for about 10 or so seconds then come back, but if I switch from lte/cdma to just cdma it won't do it. It was only doing it every so often but lately it's been doing it more and more to the point that trying to do anything that requires data useless. Think it might be the phone or network?

Mine has been doing it since the spark update. It is seems to do that for me when switching from lte to 3g sometimes. I could be wrong though.