LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Seeing the precursors to rumors of a Google Play Edition of the G2: http://www.phonedog.com/2013/08/02/should-the-nexus-brand-be-replaced-by-google-play-edition-devices/

Eighth paragraph:

I've already heard mention of a Play Edition LG G2.

Anyone see anything similar, and what are the odds it would be CDMA? Am I correct in thinking it would be the first CDMA Play Edition phone?

Edited by Nrbelex

Seeing the precursors to rumors of a Google Play Edition of the G2: http://www.phonedog.com/2013/08/02/should-the-nexus-brand-be-replaced-by-google-play-edition-devices/

Eight paragraph:

Anyone see anything similar, and what are the odds it would be CDMA? Am I correct in thinking it would be the first CDMA Play Edition phone?

I'd put the chances of a CDMA Play Edition of the phone at precisely 0.000001%.

• Like 1

No one needs an official Nexus handset any longer when Google is releasing "Nexus-ized" ROMs for the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and presumably other popular devices in the future.

AJ

• Like 2

I'd put the chances of a CDMA Play Edition of the phone at precisely 0.000001%.

Care to elaborate? There have been Nexus phones on Sprint in the past.

cletus is right.  Google has given up on CDMA Nexus phones...see their issues with Verizon's GN.  There are already Google Editions phones (GS4 and HTC One) on the market.  Both of these phones have Sprint counterparts.  Yet, GE phones are ONLY for GSM. 

CDMA has issue with updating or something like that where the carrier (Verizon and Sprint) has tight control over it.  Therefore, updating a Nexus or Google Edition phone takes a roundabout way with CDMA...thus taking away the essence of having a Google phone.  Google learned this the hard way with Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and Sprint.

No one needs an official Nexus handset any longer when Google is releasing "Nexus-ized" ROMs for the Galaxy S4, HTC One, and presumably other popular devices in the future.

AJ

In addition, Google is now updating the software in parts.  So, you really don't need 4.3 or Nexus to get the latest Google Maps for example. 

Verizon really is the one that killed everything!  This is why Verizon's GN does not have Google Wallet.

But here is the official explanation: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/03/google-issues-statement-regarding-cdma-nexus-devices/

"Hello! This is a quick clarification about support for CDMA devices.  For various technical reasons, recent CDMA Android devices implement core telephony functionality in .apk files provided in binary form by the carriers. To function correctly, these .apk files must be signed by the so-called “platform” key. However, when an individual creates a custom build from the AOSP source code, they don’t use the same signing key as these CDMA flies were signed with.

The result is that these files don’t work properly, and pure AOSP builds running on these devices can’t place calls, access mobile data, and so on. Because we aim to make sure that we are as clear as possible about the degree of support that devices have, we updated the docs over at source.android.com to reflect this reality.

We will still make available as many as possible of the closed-source binaries for these devices, and Nexus devices will continue to have unlockable bootloaders. And, of course, GSM/HSPA+ devices are still supported, as are any other devices we’re able to support. We’ve simply updated the documentation to be clearer about the current extent of CDMA support.

We are of course always working to improve support, and we’ll keep everyone updated as we make improvements. Thanks as always for your interest in AOSP!"

So, on Google's end, it is a pain in the ass to update CDMA phones...and the control is with the carrier, not Google.  Unless something change in the future, there is little to no chance that we will ever see a Nexus or Google Edition phone on Sprint.

Edited by Thai

Care to elaborate? There have been Nexus phones on Sprint in the past.

As far as I understand it boils down to this: GSM phones use SIMs on the various GSM carriers so if you have a SIM you can toss it in any compatible phone and you are good to go.. However, Sprint and Verizon require pre-approval for all phones before they are added to the network. In addition to this the radios/apk files must be digitally signed by Sprint/Verizon. Basically these networks don't want to allow Google to update their phones without extensive testing and signoffs beforehand. Google does not like this and is therefor not supporting CDMA.

AJ

That seems like an argument against the likelihood of future Nexus devices, which I agree may be in doubt, not Google Play Edition devices.

cletus is right.  Google has given up on CDMA Nexus phones...see their issues with Verizon's GN.  There are already Google Editions phones (GS4 and HTC One) on the market.  Both of these phones have Sprint counterparts.  Yet, GE phones are ONLY for GSM. 

CDMA has issue with updating or something like that where the carrier (Verizon and Sprint) has tight control over it.  Therefore, updating a Nexus or Google Edition phone takes a roundabout way with CDMA...thus taking away the essence of having a Google phone.  Google learned this the hard way with Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and Sprint.

I know there are technical hurdles (there's a decent discussion of them here: http://www.androidcentral.com/ask-ac-google-play-edition-phones-verizon-or-sprint) but it's by no means an impossibility. There are plenty of ROMS to convert the Verizon GS4 to a Play Edition version (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2343355), so the software side can't be that complicated.

What were the problems with the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint and VZ that you're referring to? I have multiple friends who have the VZ Galaxy Nexus who love it and get updates pretty frequently (though not as fast as on the GSM carriers).

In addition, Google is now updating the software in parts.  So, you really don't need 4.3 or Nexus to get the latest Google Maps for example. 

Eh, some parts are now broken out, but not the main components of the OS, new features, capabilities and bug fixes are not added or fixed, and it does nothing about the terrible skins OEMs put over the OS. The leaks so far point to the G2 having a completely ridiculous skin which is a deal-breaker for me...

That's interesting. Definitelty explains a fair amount. But I would point out that the Google Play Edition devices are not AOSP. They do include proprietary components like customized camera software, so special APKs don't seem like they would be impossible.

Overall, yea, you're all probably right that it's extremely unlikely, but I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed anyway. Really hoping it's possible to get a Play Edition Sprint Tri-band LTE phone, even if it's not the G2. I'm sick of skins and a horrendous OS update process.

Overall, yea, you're all probably right that it's extremely unlikely, but I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed anyway. Really hoping it's possible to get a Play Edition Sprint Tri-band LTE phone, even if it's not the G2. I'm sick of skins and a horrendous OS update process.

Your best hope is a Motorola X Phone II with tri-band support! :D  Motorola nowadays is pretty Google-esque.

But, yeah, like you, i would love to have a Google phone.  I did have a Nexus S 4G...what a POS!  But that was more of Samsung fault than Google's.  Update was not all that quick from what i remember (GB to ICS)....and it didn't run that well on the phone.

Edited by Thai

That seems like an argument against the likelihood of future Nexus devices, which I agree may be in doubt, not Google Play Edition devices.

I practically guarantee that the market of Sprint subs who would be willing to pay on the order of $649 for a Google Play edition handset is minuscule.  Why in the world would they do that?  They would then activate it or attach it to their existing plan, which includes device subsidy that they would not be using.

AJ

I practically guarantee that the market of Sprint subs who would be willing to pay on the order of $649 for a Google Play edition handset is minuscule.  Why in the world would they do that?  They would then activate it or attach it to their existing plan, which includes device subsidy that they would not be using.

AJ

Doesn't Sprint have a pre-paid thing now?  I have not looked into it.

AJ

Yeah, the only scenario people would do this in is early upgrades I guess? OTOH, taking a Google Play edition phone to a Sprint MVNO like Ting/Virgin/Zact might be attractive for some people. A minuscule amount for sure though.

AJ

You're definitely right about that. I was contemplating that exact scenario and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You'd essentially be wasting the built-in subsidy that you're always paying for as part of the plan. I'd probably still opt to do it, but I can't imagine the market would be worth it.

But if the hardware is already there (which it is), then maybe the negligible work on the software could make it profitable (to LG) if they sell it at the exorbitant unsubsidized price? Create more buzz and tinker-friendly street-cred...?

Yeah, the only scenario people would do this in is early upgrades I guess? OTOH, taking a Google Play edition phone to a Sprint MVNO like Ting/Virgin/Zact might be attractive for some people. A minuscule amount for sure though.

Portability between the various Sprint MVNOs could be a selling point. But I agree that it's an extremely unlikely scenario.

Edited by Nrbelex

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-g2-tipped-to-launch-in-korea-on-august-8-with-quadbeat-2-earphones-20130806/

Damn, LG is literally throwing the kitchen sink into G2! Now, we also get nice earphones with 3 buttons! This may mean that my klipsch X7i with Apple controls will have full function.

Wow!

How has LG been with Android updates and how intrusive are the LG "skins"? I'm super interested in this phone unless it is not very well supported and loaded down with terrible skins..

How has LG been with Android updates and how intrusive are the LG "skins"? I'm super interested in this phone unless it is not very well supported and loaded down with terrible skins..

http://youtu.be/xRtCJmcw-6A

The skin looks terrible. Look at the monstrosity that is the notification panel at 0:25.

The skin looks terrible. Look at the monstrosity that is the notification panel at 0:25.

Have you seen the Touchwiz notification panel? That is hideous ;-) Also, this is pretty much the same notification pull down that LG has had for a while.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

That's OK...hey, i am using TouchWiz on my Note 2.  I can handle it! :)  As long as it does not eat too much into internal memory, i am OK...and as long as LG G2 has 32GB internal memory (vs 16GB on Note 2), i should be a happy camper!  LG overlay seems similar to TouchWiz.

Edited by Thai

Are we talking about the bootloader? Aren't recent Sprint phones unlocked? For example, the Moto X is unlocked on Sprint.

I think LG boot loader is locked, but not encrypted. Usually easy to crack the locked boot loader. At least, that was the case with the original Optimus G.

I think the LG status bar looks much much better than the Touch wiz one. Blue and grey is much nicer looking than green and grey. I'm ready to try this bad boy out. The app icons don't bother me because I use Nova Launcher with custom icons.