T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

I got my test drive device today because I was taking a small road trip and the highway I took had lte according to sensorly. I will say lte was there but I bounced between that and edge. When I had lte the speeds were barely 1mbps and I got one at 5mbps. My Sprint phone had lte the majority of the ride with speeds no less than 9 but I maxed out at 30mbps. Could someone explain why I was experiencing what I did? I was really expecting more...kinda disappointed in a sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL normal for them lol

GMO lte. Don't you love it?

Sent from my Nexus 5

yup lol

I really didn't only because I was expecting more in the speed department. So this highway lte is pretty much a quick lay and your mileage may very.

I know what you mean they seem to say they lead in speeds

I fully agree 100%. I just had such a good experience around town but once I got out on the highway I was expecting a similar experience but I didn't get that. I thought it was cool there was lte but the speeds weren't there or close to what I saw in the city but there's site density. My biggest gripe was the bouncing of lte and edge.

I saw full bars like 4 times during the drive

What they bank on, and most carriers to be honest, is enough throughput to support navigation, streaming media, etc. If you're speeding down a highway, there is a finite amount of time that you're actively connected to a single site, so the "load" is handed off between them. The challenge is rest stops and scenic spots, etc. where users will actively park their vehicles and use their devices.

What they bank on, and most carriers to be honest, is enough throughput to support navigation, streaming media, etc. If you're speeding down a highway, there is a finite amount of time that you're actively connected to a single site, so the "load" is handed off between them. The challenge is rest stops and scenic spots, etc. where users will actively park their vehicles and use their devices.

Wrong. The load among highway towers is roughly equal since for every person leaving a tower, one is coming onto that tower.

Wrong. The load among highway towers is roughly equal since for every person leaving a tower, one is coming onto that tower.

Yes, but...how many staationary customers will sit in a sector versus ones barrelling down the highway at 75 MPH.  Also, a stationary customer is more like to be using his data, whereas a mobile customer is most likely driving with some streaming and some being passengers.  We know statistics bear out that highway only sites are the lightest used sites in the Sprint network.  Highway sites located in places with service centers, motels, etc. have more usage.

I don't disagree with your initial point that there is a roughly static load on a highway site with people coming in and going out of range rather steadily.  But the point of highway only sites are less used is also valid.

Yes, but...how many staationary customers will sit in a sector versus ones barrelling down the highway at 75 MPH.  Also, a stationary customer is more like to be using his data, whereas a mobile customer is most likely driving with some streaming and some being passengers.  We know statistics bear out that highway only sites are the lightest used sites in the Sprint network.  Highway sites located in places with service centers, motels, etc. have more usage.

I don't disagree with your initial point that there is a roughly static load on a highway site with people coming in and going out of range rather steadily.  But the point of highway only sites are less used is also valid.

That was the argument AJ made way back and I thought it was applicable here.

That was the argument AJ made way back and I thought it was applicable here.

He's right.  It's just not an either or situation in this situation.

Examine data usage patterns near service areas along the Kansas Turnpike with band 41 deployment and many long haul truckers camped overnight in their rigs.

That is called a counterpoint.

AJ

GMO lte. Don't you love it?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I think from what he described it's pretty obvious T-Mobile hasn't launched LTE in the area yet (he described as seeing it on Sensorly only). That doesn't necessarily mean the GMO LTE is to blame. 

I was driving through some new GPRS -> LTE areas (GMO LTE) on T-Mobile and with one iPad streaming HBO, an iPhone 6 streaming Netflix, my third device was able to speedtest 20Mbps down. I was thoroughly impressed.

This was also not an area officially launched yet (as was evident when we hit the one tower that had not been upgraded and all the devices had meltdowns upon hitting GPRS) but I was very pleased with T-Mobile's phenomenal progress.

Hek, T-Mobile even had native service in a town that Verizon was "extended 1x" roaming in. 

• Like 1

I think from what he described it's pretty obvious T-Mobile hasn't launched LTE in the area yet (he described as seeing it on Sensorly only). That doesn't necessarily mean the GMO LTE is to blame.

I was driving through some new GPRS -> LTE areas (GMO LTE) on T-Mobile and with one iPad streaming HBO, an iPhone 6 streaming Netflix, my third device was able to speedtest 20Mbps down. I was thoroughly impressed.

This was also not an area officially launched yet (as was evident when we hit the one tower that had not been upgraded and all the devices had meltdowns upon hitting GPRS) but I was very pleased with T-Mobile's phenomenal progress.

Hek, T-Mobile even had native service in a town that Verizon was "extended 1x" roaming in.

Which town?

Which town?

Legereville or Raytown?

AJ

• Like 2

Maybe it's PositiveNetPostpaidPhoneAdds-town?

Maybe it is McDonald's "Billions Served" or Justin Bieber.

Because we know that popularity -- especially temporary -- is a sign of lasting quality and a moral good.

AJ

• Like 2

Maybe it is McDonald's "Billions Served" or Justin Bieber.

Because we know that popularity -- especially temporary -- is a sign of lasting quality and a moral good.

AJ

he20sees20what20you20did20there_zps346e0

• Like 3

Which town?

Two actually:

First is Hannibal, MO in the NE area of Missouri. T-Mobile's got native LTE; Verizon is "Extended 1x". It's the birthplace of Mark Twain and a fairly popular tourist destination for his literary followers.

Second is Hermann, MO in the mid-central area of Missouri. T-Mobile's got native coverage; Verizon again is "Extended 1x". The area has very good wineries and scenic overlooks and is an extremely popular weekend getaway for the urban/suburban St. Louis resident. 

• Like 3

Second is Hermann, MO in the mid-central area of Missouri. T-Mobile's got native coverage; Verizon again is "Extended 1x".

You would think carriers would want to cover wine country a little better... I haven't been down that way in a while, but I never had coverage problems in the past (pre-NV, very light data usage).

You would think carriers would want to cover wine country a little better... I haven't been down that way in a while, but I never had coverage problems in the past (pre-NV, very light data usage).

sprint hasn't had any issues by me....or in Delaware ....where I go ...

Did you ever get full bars of lte?

Pretty much all of Honolulu is full bars or at least 3 out of 5.

But speeds are very good here 5d31faaa026bb1306f3f18844e497410.jpg

a732706353e418d99edbcaaa9544de6c.jpg

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \000/

• Like 2

Who was driving the car? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone 6+