T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

they should also focus on expanding their network and fixing coverage issues

That's why they push WIFI calling as an answer to that.

What some folks do not understand is that the magical 700A that T-Mo has will be used for LTE only, and will be useless for 2G/Voice calling, only good for VoLTE if not saturated. 

What some folks do not understand is that the magical 700A that T-Mo has will be used for LTE only, and will be useless for 2G/Voice calling, only good for VoLTE if not saturated.

I understand that and I don't count on it....I ll force my phone to use pcs then 700 a

It'll be a while before VoLTE capacity is completely used.  VoLTE has much more capacity than 3G voice technologies.  VoLTE isn't used by many right now from T-Mobile's numbers.

It'll be a while before VoLTE capacity is completely used. VoLTE has much more capacity than 3G voice technologies. VoLTE isn't used by many right now from T-Mobile's numbers.

And the number of Band 12 devices are even fewer than the number of devices using VoLTE. While its only 5 MHz wide, VoLTE has very good techniques to ensure voice prioritization. Even in saturated areas. It's far from perfect, but its there. And 5 MHz will go a lot further than you think with an existing AWS or PCS LTE layer as the primary bearer.

• Like 1

It'll be a while before VoLTE capacity is completely used. VoLTE has much more capacity than 3G voice technologies. VoLTE isn't used by many right now from T-Mobile's numbers.

VoLTE is active in my area

Uhhh yeah... VoLTE is active nationwide on T-Mobile.

although their lte service is spotty on my block ...so I just use the 3g network to mame calls and besides I get 22 down on hspa+

T-Mobile hopes to deploy LTE in all of its 700 MHZ A Block spectrum this year

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-hopes-deploy-lte-all-its-700-mhz-block-spectrum-year/2015-03-19

Ray said it is T-Mobile's "aspiration" to roll out LTE to all of the 190 million POPs it currently covers with 700 MHz spectrum licenses. "We are deploying it furiously," he said

. T-Mobile now covers around 60 percent of the U.S. population and more than 70 percent of T-Mobile's existing customer base with its 700 MHz spectrum licenses. The spectrum covers nine of the top 10 market areas and 24 of the top 30 market areas in the U.S. So far T-Mobile has deployed the spectrum in Cleveland; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Dallas; Houston; Minneapolis and Washington, D.C

T-Mobile has said that around 75 percent of the population covered by the company's 700 MHz A Block spectrum is "free and clear and ready to be deployed or will be ready for deployment in the first half of 2015." 

Yet T-Mobile has said it has already entered into agreements to relocate broadcasters to new frequencies or to operate concurrently in 10 markets covering more than 41 million POPs, making those markets available for launch in 2015.

Legere acknowledged that T-Mobile is still expanding its coverage and needs to. "We have some rural edge, some in-building penetration that is still stuff we're working on," he said.

Individual T-Mobile customers, meanwhile, will see any promotional plan they're on made permanent, with a guarantee that rates will only go down, not up. The exception is unlimited-data subscribers, who will only get the guarantee for two years.

"Unlimited is a world in and of itself; I can't pretend to tell you the ten-year view on Unlimited," Legere said.

Legere said T-Mobile will lean hard into next year's 600Mhz "incentive auction," but that spectrum will probably be built out between 2017 and 2020.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2478445,00.asp

T-Mobile hopes to deploy LTE in all of its 700 MHZ A Block spectrum this year

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-hopes-deploy-lte-all-its-700-mhz-block-spectrum-year/2015-03-19

Ray said it is T-Mobile's "aspiration" to roll out LTE to all of the 190 million POPs it currently covers with 700 MHz spectrum licenses. "We are deploying it furiously," he said

. T-Mobile now covers around 60 percent of the U.S. population and more than 70 percent of T-Mobile's existing customer base with its 700 MHz spectrum licenses. The spectrum covers nine of the top 10 market areas and 24 of the top 30 market areas in the U.S. So far T-Mobile has deployed the spectrum in Cleveland; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Dallas; Houston; Minneapolis and Washington, D.C

T-Mobile has said that around 75 percent of the population covered by the company's 700 MHz A Block spectrum is "free and clear and ready to be deployed or will be ready for deployment in the first half of 2015." 

Yet T-Mobile has said it has already entered into agreements to relocate broadcasters to new frequencies or to operate concurrently in 10 markets covering more than 41 million POPs, making those markets available for launch in 2015.

Legere acknowledged that T-Mobile is still expanding its coverage and needs to. "We have some rural edge, some in-building penetration that is still stuff we're working on," he said.

The limited geographical area of the 700a licenses combined with not adding 700a to every tower allows for this fast rollout.

Where does it says they're not adding it to every tower?

If I recall correctly, Neville was quoted on this in an earlier article.  I'll have to see if I can find it.

If I recall correctly, Neville was quoted on this in an earlier article. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Please do.

I googled "neville ray 700mhz towers" and found nothing.

Looking at the tmo coverage maps, I could understand if in the brightest pink areas, not every tower needs it. But everywhere else . . .

Please do.

I googled "neville ray 700mhz towers" and found nothing.

Looking at the tmo coverage maps, I could understand if in the brightest pink areas, not every tower needs it. But everywhere else . . .

whats odd is the entire network here is all aws... in my county where i live they have at least 45 mhz of AWS they have PCS HSPA+ on ....it used to be used for LTE

Where does it says they're not adding it to every tower?

Per T-Mobile's own example map in its most recent investors presentation, it is not deploying band 12 on every site.  Members here at S4GRU already pointed that out -- probably even in this thread.

AJ

• Like 2

Per T-Mobile's own example map in its most recent investors presentation, it is not deploying band 12 on every site.  Members here at S4GRU already pointed that out -- probably even in this thread.

AJ

Oh yeah it's in the Capital Markets Day slide.

http://investor.t-mobile.com/Cache/1500068828.PDF?Y=&O=PDF&D=&fid=1500068828&T=&iid=4091145

pg 24

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, Neville was quoted on this in an earlier article.  I'll have to see if I can find it.

AJ

#untowers

:P

Nah...

#unband12carrier

AJ

• Like 1

I understand that and I don't count on it....I ll force my phone to use pcs then 700 a

The point is that for your average customer who's not going to configure band priorities, etc. their experience won't change as much.